Sporting News: 'I'm not for everybody': Where will P.J. Fleck fit for Minnesota in BT

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sporting News:

P.J. Fleck isn't afraid to talk about how he's unique and different.

"I'm not for everybody," Fleck said on the Big Ten teleconference Wednesday. "So the last thing I want to do is get somebody in here and hire somebody and not know them. The next thing you know; they didn't fit with me and you have to make changes as you go."

Fleck was talking about the process of hiring assistant coaches, but the critics might say almost the same thing about the process in which he was brought to Minnesota. Or how the rest of the Big Ten might feel about him. Leaving Western Michigan for Minnesota wasn't exactly expected this offseason, but then again neither were the circumstances that led to Fleck's hiring.

That sets up an interesting storyline in the Big Ten West heading into 2017. Can the coach who coined "Row the Boat" and took the Broncos to the Cotton Bowl Classic last season bring a similar jolt to a program that finished 9-4 last season before a sexual assault investigation and ensuing player boycott led to the departure of Tracy Claeys.

How does Fleck fit at Minnesota? In the Big Ten?

It's an intriguing play for Minnesota, for sure. Fleck, 36, talks fast, and that's just the start. He's younger than everybody else in the conference, and he'll certainly be unique and different. It works in the social media age.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...-2017-row-the-boat/1x9640rygf2qz1g5hrob18ib30

Go Gophers!!

Something for everyone as to personalities etc. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Fleck inherits a team that went 9 - 4 last year. A lesser record this year would be a setback. So, at least 9 wins and more importantly, a 4th place finish in the west. Watch out Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue, we are coming for you!!!

Fleck inherits a team that went 9 - 4 last year. A lesser record this year would be a setback. So, at least 9 wins and more importantly, a 4th place finish in the west. Watch out Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue, we are coming for you!!!

It's a very different team - Fleck does not have the 2016 squad. Not saying it will be better or worse, but last year's record has zero impact on what should be expected in 2017.

It's a very different team - Fleck does not have the 2016 squad. Not saying it will be better or worse, but last year's record has zero impact on what should be expected in 2017.

Well, that's taking it a little too far.

I think Fleck could do a really good job and win 7 or 8 games.
I think it's kind of meh at 6 wins. 5 wins would be disappointing (not the end of the world, but disappointing).

I have those predictions because of the returning players who also impacted the 9 wins last year. So while last year's record is not 100% the bar for next year. It should help you calculate your expectations a bit.

I think it's kind of meh at 6 wins. 5 wins would be disappointing (not the end of the world, but disappointing).

I have those predictions because of the returning players who also impacted the 9 wins last year. So while last year's record is not 100% the bar for next year. It should help you calculate your expectations a bit.

Yep. I see 8 wins in the regular season (GWG in 3, 2, 1...) as building on last year's record. Little tougher schedule on paper, but I see seven games Gophs should win and then it's getting one other like Neb at home or Ia on the road.

Fleck is walking in to a situation that is similar to Richard Pitino's first year where he had all of Tubby's recruits. Richard won the NIT and won a lot of games, but that upper classmen group left and we ended up in an 8 win season shortly afterward.
I expect this year to be pretty good. 8 wins minimum. However, next season, 2018, could be around 3 or 4 wins as Fleck's youngin's take the field.

Dang, he's 36? I was 36 two years ago and I thought I knew a lot. It is amazing for me to think about how my thoughts and philosophies have changed in just 2 years. Granted, Fleck has been doing his thing long before I have been doing my thing. However, unless one is some kind of genius, staking out new ideas and philosophies in one's mid-30s is a dangerous thing.

I hope he's a genius.

per Sporting News:

Leaving Western Michigan for Minnesota wasn't exactly expected this offseason, !

Dude's record... took WMU to the Cotton Bowl. Dude was mentioned in every other coaching hunt....

Minnesota is the key word. We are not the destination for hot coaching prospects.

Herman to Texas was the only guy this season who moved and folks assumed that was likely to be the move (and were correct). Otherwise in only a few cases have I seen guys go to the school everyone predicts. They're all semi unlikely hires.

I didn't see PJ slotted by anyone to go anywhere in particular. He could end up anywhere and you could argue the destination was unlikely.

PJ was poised to move but after all the other schools hired not PJ... not sure anyone was out of the picture.

I like the PJ hire, he is a good prospect, but I don't think that hire was any more or less likely than most any other.

Fleck is walking in to a situation that is similar to Richard Pitino's first year where he had all of Tubby's recruits. Richard won the NIT and won a lot of games, but that upper classmen group left and we ended up in an 8 win season shortly afterward.
I expect this year to be pretty good. 8 wins minimum. However, next season, 2018, could be around 3 or 4 wins as Fleck's youngin's take the field.

Definitely apples and oranges with the number of players and positions trying to compare BB to FB. Many FB team underclassmen get ample playing time and develop and become starters before they are seniors...has happened every year in recent history. Also, Fleck has said the team has the right talent fit for his schemes, unlike when he started at WMU.

I thought Fleck gets a free pass because we have to done do go through da culture change of scrubbing ourselves from the stench of GPA's Graduation rates and APR scores of the previous staff

I thought Fleck gets a free pass because we have to done do go through da culture change of scrubbing ourselves from the stench of GPA's Graduation rates and APR scores of the previous staff

You forgot 4th place Big Ten West finishes and not winning the axe in 13 years.

Good lord it feels like I read the exact same takes from users here every single day on a new thread

You seem to think a first year coach was responsible for 13 years of failure. Do you place the same onus upon Fleck? What will you do if this becomes year 14 of failure. Will you jettison Fleck as well? You're a fickle person, johnny.

You seem to think a first year coach was responsible for 13 years of failure. Do you place the same onus upon Fleck? What will you do if this becomes year 14 of failure. Will you jettison Fleck as well? You're a fickle person, johnny.

No, I put it on the last three head coaches who never best Wisconsin. If Fleck doesn't beat Wisconsin within the next three years I will do the same to him.

So were blaming Claeys and Kill for Mason and brew's shortcomings now? Don't forget the New Years Day Bowl, the wins in Michigan and Nebraska, the winning records in conference. 8 plus wins in three of the last four years to go with everything else I mentioned.

So were blaming Claeys and Kill for Mason and brew's shortcomings now? Don't forget the New Years Day Bowl, the wins in Michigan and Nebraska, the winning records in conference. 8 plus wins in three of the last four years to go with everything else I mentioned.

You're blaming not beating Wisconsin the last six years on Mason and Brewster? Great they got the Gophers to be an average Big Ten team I thank for that. Let's not pretend they were anything more. I hope Fleck can elevate them to be a good/great Big Ten team if not he will be fired just like the coaches before him.

No, I put it on the last three head coaches who never best Wisconsin. If Fleck doesn't beat Wisconsin within the next three years I will do the same to him.
What? You give Fleck 3 years, but Claeys only one (plus you pile on the previous 12)? Seems you're a hypocrite. Expect Fleck to get the axe this season or bust, johnny. Giving a cushion seems like you're getting soft. [emoji41]

What? You give Fleck 3 years, but Claeys only one (plus you pile on the previous 12)? Seems you're a hypocrite. Expect Fleck to get the axe this season or bust, johnny. Giving a cushion seems like you're getting soft. [emoji41]

Stop with this. JB made it clear yesterday that he is sick of discussing Claeys. Why force him to do something he so clearly doesn't want to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're blaming not beating Wisconsin the last six years on Mason and Brewster? Great they got the Gophers to be an average Big Ten team I thank for that. Let's not pretend they were anything more. I hope Fleck can elevate them to be a good/great Big Ten team if not he will be fired just like the coaches before him.

You're the one who brought up the last 13 years, I didn't say anything about Brew or Mason, yet you brought up there years at the helm

Stop with this. JB made it clear yesterday that he is sick of discussing Claeys. Why force him to do something he so clearly doesn't want to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3ff9de554db56a7f866d8d3d3f121a2a.jpg

I'm willing to bet Fleck has a terrible collection of Pokemon in PokemonGo, despite being on campus (a pretty good hunting ground). Based on that it is pretty clear this is a guy who doesn't understand opportunity when he sees it.

On the other hand I've got good information that indicates that Claeys was an absolute pokemon gym terror and pretty much could own any / all the gyms on campus at will.... the man's entire pokedex was Snorlax and Gyarados...

Top Bottom