Reports indicate Bridges to return to MSU for sophomore season

I hope Murphy doesn't shoot another 3 unless he drastically improves. There are reasons he isn't being guarded out there. Other coaches are smart.

I second that. Ditto for Curry. Murph needs to do his work around the basket, Curry too, though Curry has shown a decent mid-range jumper (usually baseline).

I compared their size and games. Carmelo is one of the better scorers of the last decade in the NBA. That is the only thing he does well. I think Bridges can score 20 ppg in his NBA prime. Maybe not the 29ppg Melo averaged. What skills did Carmelo have that are vastly better than Bridges at the same age?

I am not at all a fan of Carmelo Anthony or his game. That being said, there is almost zero chance that Bridges will be even in the same ballpark as Carmelo as an NBA player.

I second that. Ditto for Curry. Murph needs to do his work around the basket, Curry too, though Curry has shown a decent mid-range jumper (usually baseline).

I think Curry will continue to improve his range and shot selection. He has a high ceiling. He has a nice feel for the game, a good passer, makes good choices. He needs to get stronger and finish better but I also think his shooting will be an asset.
His 3 on the road late game at Purdue might have been the biggest shot in January for the Gophs. Comparisons are dangerous but the name that comes to mind is Robert Horry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I compared their size and games. Carmelo is one of the better scorers of the last decade in the NBA. That is the only thing he does well. I think Bridges can score 20 ppg in his NBA prime. Maybe not the 29ppg Melo averaged. What skills did Carmelo have that are vastly better than Bridges at the same age?

Not much besides about an inch and a half taller, it does make a difference. If Bridges was 6-8 in shoes he would be a higher rated prospect.

Good column: Bridges not risking nearly what people think

Thanks to insurance policies the schools can pay for.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not much besides about an inch and a half taller, it does make a difference. If Bridges was 6-8 in shoes he would be a higher rated prospect.

Bridges is a much better athlete than Melo, but in terms of shot making/pure scoring? Not even close.

Melo has had a few of warts as an NBA players, but he's still one of the best pure scorers of his generation.

height

From everything I have seen he is 6-7 in shoes.

From everything I have seen he is 6-7 in shoes.

Yeah, Carmelo was 6'6.5" out of shoes at the combine. Bridges was 6'5" in '14 at a basketball camp and in '15-'16 was listed at 6'6.5" in shoes. So it's rounded up in the program. But yeah... it doesn't make much of a difference and he could easily still grow a half inch or slightly more in college.

I think Curry will continue to improve his range and shot selection. He has a high ceiling. He has a nice feel for the game, a good passer, makes good choices. He needs to get stronger and finish better but I also think his shooting will be an asset.
His 3 on the road late game at Purdue might have been the biggest shot in January for the Gophs. Comparisons are dangerous but the name that comes to mind is Robert Horry.

Are you serious? I love Curry but to compare him to big shot Horry after one shot is a bit much.

Bridges is a much better athlete than Melo, but in terms of shot making/pure scoring? Not even close.

Melo has had a few of warts as an NBA players, but he's still one of the best pure scorers of his generation.

Funny how a guy can be a great scorer when he launches 30 shots a night[emoji6]

Carmelo is a great scorer. 45% FG percentage for his career for a SF. Bird 49%. Pippen 47%. Rick Barry 45%. Elgin Baylor 43%. Havlicek 44%. Worthy 52%. Dominique 46%.

All of the NBA's best scorers launch a ton of shots.

There are millions of players who can't even get 20 points with 30 shots. I do not understand why people denigrate 20 points on 20 shots? (or 30 in 30) That's one point per shot. The goal in offensive efficiency rating per possession is one point. Every team is different but if you only got one guy who can consistently score, they need to get 20 or 30 shots for you to have any chance to win. You might think democracy is preferable or your definition of team basketball is equal shots, but you're going to lose all your games unless you have a very talented team. You don't want Gas and Bakary taking even 10 shots apiece.

Regarding, Curry and Murphy shooting 3's. I think they both have the makings of nice shots. The only way they can play at the next level is to be able to make threes. There has to be a carrot. There has to be a dream. The only way to tell a player you believe in him and his shooting is to let him shoot. The only way Richard can recruit the next guy is to demonstrate confidence in the guys he has. I'm betting Murphy and Curry make 3's next year!

There are millions of players who can't even get 20 points with 30 shots. I do not understand why people denigrate 20 points on 20 shots? (or 30 in 30) That's one point per shot. The goal in offensive efficiency rating per possession is one point. Every team is different but if you only got one guy who can consistently score, they need to get 20 or 30 shots for you to have any chance to win. You might think democracy is preferable or your definition of team basketball is equal shots, but you're going to lose all your games unless you have a very talented team. You don't want Gas and Bakary taking even 10 shots apiece.

Regarding, Curry and Murphy shooting 3's. I think they both have the makings of nice shots. The only way they can play at the next level is to be able to make threes. There has to be a carrot. There has to be a dream. The only way to tell a player you believe in him and his shooting is to let him shoot. The only way Richard can recruit the next guy is to demonstrate confidence in the guys he has. I'm betting Murphy and Curry make 3's next year!

One point per possession would be dead last for an nba team.

Such a bizarre argument you just put together, democracy, recruiting, points per possession. Wow.

Sorry to confuse you

One point per possession would be dead last for an nba team.

Such a bizarre argument you just put together, democracy, recruiting, points per possession. Wow.

My argument, if you will, was just my opinion on several of the 67 different viewpoints expressed in this thread and board. Not just one point. I'm not talking NBA basketball, I'm thinking more high school basketball and certainly to do a degree college basketball, depending on the team. But my reference to OER is here:
http://www.goxavier.com/custompages/Newsletters/MBB%20Newsletters/Newsletter171.pdf

I'll make it easier for you. The other point was that I believe Murphy and Curry will improve and shoot and make 3's next season. I also argued why Pitino would encourage them to do so.

Another point: I disagree with the philosophy of some that it's wrong for one player to dominate the shots.

My argument, if you will, was just my opinion on several of the 67 different viewpoints expressed in this thread and board. Not just one point. I'm not talking NBA basketball, I'm thinking more high school basketball and certainly to do a degree college basketball, depending on the team. But my reference to OER is here:
http://www.goxavier.com/custompages/Newsletters/MBB%20Newsletters/Newsletter171.pdf

I'll make it easier for you. The other point was that I believe Murphy and Curry will improve and shoot and make 3's next season. I also argued why Pitino would encourage them to do so.

Another point: I disagree with the philosophy of some that it's wrong for one player to dominate the shots.
I got it the first time.

Top Bottom