Reports indicate Bridges to return to MSU for sophomore season

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Let's see if this holds up.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Sparty On" in East Lansing. If he returns Big Ten now has a legit national title contender. Might have two if Swanigan and Edwards both return to Boilermakers.

Hard to believe a lottery pick guy would pass up that pay day in favor of being what, a slightly higher lottery pick? Go NBA, take the money finish your education on the side. Don't play another season and potentially never get a pay day if you get hurt. I think Tyus Jones had a tough decision to make, cash out at what might be your peak value, or stay and see if you can become a lottery pick.

Definitely would be a risky decision, no doubt, but I always respect guys that don't go for the instant money grab. Injury is always the biggest concern, but he could come out just fine if he has the monster sophomore season most people would expect. He could go from being a (maybe) top 10-15 draft pick to one of the top 3 or 4? Certainly not out of the question.

I hope he comes back. Will be fun to watch, good for the conference, etc.

Bridges or not; we should expect to beat them on our court next year.

MSU clear favorite for league title though.

Definitely would be a risky decision, no doubt, but I always respect guys that don't go for the instant money grab. Injury is always the biggest concern, but he could come out just fine if he has the monster sophomore season most people would expect. He could go from being a (maybe) top 10-15 draft pick to one of the top 3 or 4? Certainly not out of the question.

Agree to disagree...if Compaq had come calling when I was finishing my FR year at the U and offered me hundreds of thousands in guaranteed money to leave school early I would have been gone. Wait for what? First round picks get guaranteed money - 30th picks get 3 years $3.2 million in 2017 draft...15th pick is close to $6 million over 3 years and 8th pick gets $8 million. Play the 3 year contract and if he performs he gets 5 and $80 million +

Bridges or not; we should expect to beat them on our court next year.

MSU clear favorite for league title though.

They've came here the past two years and we played twice last season, will see them once on their floor

Hard to believe a lottery pick guy would pass up that pay day in favor of being what, a slightly higher lottery pick? Go NBA, take the money finish your education on the side. Don't play another season and potentially never get a pay day if you get hurt. I think Tyus Jones had a tough decision to make, cash out at what might be your peak value, or stay and see if you can become a lottery pick.

Every year there is a guy that does this. Ivan Rabb last year, Kris Dunn two years ago etc. He'd still likely get a paycheck even if he does get hurt and misses a good portion of the season. Also maybe having a chance to win a national championship at MSU is more important to him than getting an NBA pay check one year earlier which I will always respect if that is the case.

MSU's lineup next year

PG: Winston, Narin
SG: Langford, McQuaid
SF: Bridges, McQuaid
PF: Ward, Ben Carter (UNLV transfer)/Tillman
C: Jackson, Schilling/Goins

Thats an extremely deep front court, they have 6 big men that I would take ahead of Konate next year and thats not even if they put Bridges at PF.

If Schilling is healthy, would be very surprised if he's not starting and getting major minutes at the C position. They need his defense and versatility desperately. Izzo will still find plenty of minutes for Jackson. Sparty shouldn't have the depth problems they had this season.

Do the Gophers only get Mich State one time next year, it can even be in East Lansing.

If Schilling is healthy, would be very surprised if he's not starting and getting major minutes at the C position. They need his defense and versatility desperately. Izzo will still find plenty of minutes for Jackson. Sparty shouldn't have the depth problems they had this season.

Jackson is #6 in the country in the new Rivals rankings. Thats higher than Bridges was in any of the rankings last year. I'd be shocked if a dude that averaged 3 and 3 last year beat him out in fact I'd say Schilling will probably be the 4th big in the rotation behind Ben Carter as well. I'd give him a slight edge over Tillman and Goins.

Gonna go ahead and say I called this one.

Does happ really project to a round 1????

Bridges comes back.

That's what I've seen on mocks.

I personally think bridges comes back.

I've followed Bridges loosely, so I'm no expert. Just the eye test always told me he would be back, which again, means jack ****.

Then this article came out earlier this month and I think there was more chatter about it earlier about his relationship with Izzo.

I think he's back. But given he's climbing in the rankings and the fact they can declare, test the waters, and then come back. The money might be too much to turn down.

Mich St gets another huge PF 5* next year, Bridges playing the 3 would just be disgusting.

giphy.gif

Sparty is still in on Bowen too, but imagine he won't come if Bridges returns, the minutes just wouldn't be there. A starting five of Winston, Langford, Bridges, Ward and Jackson is leathal, there second unit of Tum Tum, McQuaid, Schilling and Carter, Goins and a four star recruit in Tillman picking up garbage time will give Sparty plenty of depth, may even be the pre season number one.

Sparty is still in on Bowen too, but imagine he won't come if Bridges returns, the minutes just wouldn't be there. A starting five of Winston, Langford, Bridges, Ward and Jackson is leathal, there second unit of Tum Tum, McQuaid, Schilling and Carter, Goins and a four star recruit in Tillman picking up garbage time will give Sparty plenty of depth, may even be the pre season number one.

Definitely think this makes MSU the team to beat in the conference with a few others probably not far behind (un included). Should make for a really fun Big Ten season. Personally I think any lottery pick is crazy to pass up the guaranteed money but it is great for college basketball if he comes back for another year.

Maybe he just enjoys the college lifestyle. When I was 19 I was not in any hurry to grow up and become an adult.

A repeat 4th place finish is starting to look pretty dang good. Not sure we'll have the pieces to make a serious B1G championship run, unless some of our guys make some major leaps. Hope I am wrong!

Definitely not #1 in the country, it's still a pretty similarly team to the one that lost 15 games last year. i think Arizona and Louisville would have a much better case if their guys don't go pro as would Purdue if Swanigan returns.

A repeat 4th place finish is starting to look pretty dang good. Not sure we'll have the pieces to make a serious B1G championship run, unless some of our guys make some major leaps. Hope I am wrong!

I'm not sure how Bridges returning would push us down form preseason #1 or #2 in the conference all the way to #4. We still have definitely the second most amount of talent returning besides MSU in the conference.

I'm not sure how Bridges returning would push us down form preseason #1 or #2 in the conference all the way to #4. We still have definitely the second most amount of talent returning besides MSU in the conference.

Yeah, I posted that in response to some posters speculating Purdue's guys will be returning as well. If that is the case then we'll probably be viewed as the 3rd or 4th best team going into the season.

MSU's lineup next year

PG: Winston, Narin
SG: Langford, McQuaid
SF: Bridges, McQuaid
PF: Ward, Ben Carter (UNLV transfer)/Tillman
C: Jackson, Schilling/Goins

Thats an extremely deep front court, they have 6 big men that I would take ahead of Konate next year and thats not even if they put Bridges at PF.

Couple things: I would flip Jackson and ward. Jackson is more perimeter oriented. Fits our 4 spot alot better. Also I'm very confident that Carter will not get a 6th year granted by ncaa and will not be on team.

Definitely not #1 in the country, it's still a pretty similarly team to the one that lost 15 games last year. i think Arizona and Louisville would have a much better case if their guys don't go pro as would Purdue if Swanigan returns.

That was due to our lack of post depth. Bridges was meant to be our 3 man on the wing. He played exclusively 4 out if necessity. Our post rotation last year was ward and a 6-6 walkon.

Top Bottom