House Report: Practice Notes, Fleck and Warinner Address The Media

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
House Report: Practice Notes, Fleck and Warinner Address The Media

Practice Notes- 4/11/17
By: Daniel House

- The quarterbacks were tested with more 11-on-11 today and there were some consistency issues. Demry Croft had a few accuracy problems when throwing across the middle and Conor Rhoda was intercepted in an individual session. Both of them had trouble delivering their passes square to the receivers’ frame. The two quarterbacks had some quality throws, but were inconsistent.
- I thought Conor Rhoda made better decisions during the increased team settings today. As I said last practice, the quarterbacks must be evaluated more in 11-on-11 situations. Today, they showed some growing pains, but that’s expected with limited team reps.
- In addition, Tanner Morgan is throwing the ball well. He had a great touch throw in the seam to Ko Kieft. He has inconsistent moments too, but this should be expected early in the process.
- The cornerbacks pressed more at the line of scrimmage and it led to them being a little grabby. They need to do a better job of swiveling their hips and mirroring the receiver. The receivers did a great job of getting separation and exploding out of the break.
- I was specifically impressed with Tyler Johnson’s ability to gain separation and explode at the top of his route.
- Matt Morse has been seeing more reps with the top team units on offense. He has become a very crafty route runner with fantastic hands. He makes all of the grabs and settles into comebacks routes well. Morse is a name to keep an eye on during the Spring game.
- Melvin Holland Jr. also ran a beautiful corner route where he got the cornerback to bite inside as he broke to the corner.
- The Gophers were able to practice with five offensive lineman today, which led to more team reps. They are starting to get familiar with the calls up front and the overall scheme. This is important because continuity is critical as the coaches implement the zone blocking system.
- The five players offensive linemen have on the field are doing a great job of communicating and responding to Ed Warinner’s level of coaching. I love the way the lineman dig their foot into the ground with a strong inside arm, as they use short, choppy steps to settle into their base. They are very fundamentally sound and well-coached. This will help the team try to overcome their depth issues up front.
- Antoine Winfield Jr. continues to make plays on the ball and is creating pass breakups. He had another great one in the team period today. Kiondre Thomas is doing a fantastic job of mirroring the wide receiver as he swivels his hips and embraces contact. He is young and has more polished technique than many experienced defensive backs.
- I like what I see from Winston DeLattiboudere as he continues to develop his pass rushing skills. He is light on his feet and gets inside leverage on the opponent. DeLattiboudere also uses his hands well and attacks the frame of the offensive lineman.
- I like how Bryce Paup is teaching the defensive linemen to use their hands as an advantage. They have legitimate pass rushing moves and gain inside pressure from their footwork. The level of coaching up front on both sides of the ball is impressive. Now, the goal will be to continue recruiting those positions to build up depth.

Fleck Notes:
- Fleck said he likes having people (like students) at practice to simulate the noise and emotion of games. He said the players need to be ready for those situations.
- Shannon Brooks missed practice and was a “knicked a little bit,” according to Fleck. He said he should be back Thursday or for the Spring game.
- Quarterback Neil McLaurin wasn’t at practice and Coach Fleck said they are looking for another destination for him to play.
- Coach Fleck said he liked OL coach Ed Warinner’s experience and called him one of the best offensive line coach’s in the country. He said he could coach for any NFL team. Fleck noted he is doing a great job with the limited depth they have up front. The development of those young guys on the offensive line is coming along, he said.
- Fleck said it was nice to practice with 5 offensive lineman and that they will have 12 total offensive lineman when the position is healthy. He said he wants to have 18 linemen in the future when he recruits the position.

Ed Warinner Notes:
- Warriner said he knew Coach Fleck through some third parties and that he liked his vision and what he wanted to do with the program. That’s why he came here and joined the program.
- He thinks the program is a gold mine because they have resources, support, and a vision.
- Warinner said they have some good offensive lineman here, but due to injuries, they are low on scholarship numbers. He noted the coaches’ challenge is to develop the offensive lineman and get them ready.
- He said when starters from next year come back, they’ll have some great depth.
- He said tackle, guard, or center could be options for JUCO transfer Ben Davis. He noted he is a hard playing, tough, and physical guy. Davis went to a junior college not because he didn’t qualify (academically), but because he wanted to get a bigger offer.
- Warinner said he wouldn’t rule out Blaise Andries playing as a freshman. He said he hasn’t had many freshmen start immediately in the past, but he’s had a couple do it. He said they didn’t bring Andries in to redshirt and that he will contribute.

Any idea if anything happened to Tyler Johnson? He was standing on the sidelines with his helmet off towards the end of practice. Didn't see him go down and he wasn't with a trainer but seemed kind of strange.

Any idea if anything happened to Tyler Johnson? He was standing on the sidelines with his helmet off towards the end of practice. Didn't see him go down and he wasn't with a trainer but seemed kind of strange.

Haven't noticed anything with him. He's been looking great every day at practice. Excited to see what he can do in the system.

Here are some of the videos from the pressers:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nadine - Thanks for the video interview gems!

Great steady camera work.

Thanks for the reports and the videos DH and GL!

Fleck Notes:
- 1. Fleck said he likes having people (like students) at practice to simulate the noise and emotion of games. He said the players need to be ready for those situations.
- Shannon Brooks missed practice and was a “knicked a little bit,” according to Fleck. He said he should be back Thursday or for the Spring game.
- Quarterback Neil McLaurin wasn’t at practice and Coach Fleck said they are looking for another destination for him to play.
- Coach Fleck said he liked OL coach Ed Warinner’s experience and called him one of the best offensive line coach’s in the country. He said he could coach for any NFL team. Fleck noted he is doing a great job with the limited depth they have up front. The development of those young guys on the offensive line is coming along, he said.
- Fleck said it was nice to practice with 5 offensive lineman and that they will have 12 total offensive lineman when the position is healthy. He said he wants to have 18 linemen in the future when he recruits the position.

Ed Warinner Notes:
- Warriner said he knew Coach Fleck through some third parties and that he liked his vision and what he wanted to do with the program. That’s why he came here and joined the program.
- 2. He thinks the program is a gold mine because they have resources, support, and a vision.
- 3. Warinner said they have some good offensive lineman here, but due to injuries, they are low on scholarship numbers. He noted the coaches’ challenge is to develop the offensive lineman and get them ready.
- He said when starters from next year come back, they’ll have some great depth.

- He said tackle, guard, or center could be options for JUCO transfer Ben Davis. He noted he is a hard playing, tough, and physical guy. Davis went to a junior college not because he didn’t qualify (academically), but because he wanted to get a bigger offer.
- Warinner said he wouldn’t rule out Blaise Andries playing as a freshman. He said he hasn’t had many freshmen start immediately in the past, but he’s had a couple do it. He said they didn’t bring Andries in to redshirt and that he will contribute.

1. Really wish he would have opened up a few more practices so people could see what was going on.
2. This is nice to hear from an assistant.
3. From the sounds of it he is developing those guys. Having so few OL able to fully practice really helped those guys develop their individual techniques and should benefit the position group this coming year as they will be more ready to play and fill in when injuries happen. I also like his confidence in the ones we have and that we will have some depth going into the fall. Still need more bodies going forward. Getting the OL to gel as a unit will be the major focus of fall camp.

Great stuff, thanks! Love hearing how Johnson is performing. May have missed it, but what was the student crowd like size-wise?

Great stuff, thanks! Love hearing how Johnson is performing. May have missed it, but what was the student crowd like size-wise?

Other thread estimated about 250. They handed out 100 shirts and those were gone before practice started.

That is just such an odd way for Fleck to phrase it when talking about contract offers -- does he plan on volunteering at the U after his initial contract? Does he think he won't be making any money during those later years that WMU offered to put him under contract?

This is like me bragging about how I (a teacher) make more money than my wife (a doctor) because I have had many more working years under my belt while she has been training.

And I don't think humility is a word that will ever be attached to Fleck, but I don't like that he came off as so aggrieved that he was "taken out of context". He said it. I like Fleck overall so far but this just seems weird.

That is just such an odd way for Fleck to phrase it when talking about contract offers -- does he plan on volunteering at the U after his initial contract? Does he think he won't be making any money during those later years that WMU offered to put him under contract?

This is like me bragging about how I (a teacher) make more money than my wife (a doctor) because I have had many more working years under my belt while she has been training.

And I don't think humility is a word that will ever be attached to Fleck, but I don't like that he came off as so aggrieved that he was "taken out of context". He said it. I like Fleck overall so far but this just seems weird.

Your example is wrong. He was referring to guaranteed money. The contract at WMU netted him more total money, and if signed he was promised that full amount, here was shorter, and thus less total. After these 3 years we could not renew his contract, and then where is he? Also need to factor in things like cost of living and what not. I'm sure where he is now costs more than where he was in Michigan, some of that is by choice (the specific suburb h is living in), some of it isn't (the twin cities is a much larger metro area, so COL is higher)

Nadine - Thanks for the video interview gems!

Great steady camera work.

Thanks for the reports and the videos DH and GL!

Much appreciate the reports and especially the videos.

You're welcome! Lighting was a little tough, but it worked.

1. Really wish he would have opened up a few more practices so people could see what was going on.
2. This is nice to hear from an assistant.
3. From the sounds of it he is developing those guys. Having so few OL able to fully practice really helped those guys develop their individual techniques and should benefit the position group this coming year as they will be more ready to play and fill in when injuries happen. I also like his confidence in the ones we have and that we will have some depth going into the fall. Still need more bodies going forward. Getting the OL to gel as a unit will be the major focus of fall camp.
I do too - but completely understand. He actually runs a really disciplined and well organized practice, something that you likely don't want getting out to anyone to give them any advantage.

Kalamazoo rates a 78.4 on the cost of living index, Minneapolis 109, meaning you need to make about 40% more in Minneapolis. If housing costs aren't factored in you would only need to make about 15% more. You can go to best places to live to do a comparison.

Comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom