Neil McLaurin has left program

To clarify I'm not asking about the number of players on scholarship total. I'm wondering about the number of players we can sign for the 2017 class. With Ben Davis and Mclauren both that puts us at 27. I read somewhere we could maybe sign 28 if Fleck finds someone else. Based on what the others said I'm not optimistic about getting Mclauren's back.

Note: I'm still counting Eric Abojei in the 27.

How many we can sign is based on 85. It's a fluid number. Guys leave, new guys arrive but you can't have more than that. So in this case Gopher Weather Guy makes sense to me. So, in the fall I think 85 guys will be on scholarship and McLauren won't be one of them. It's two different school semesters.

Let's go over the rules. 1. Once you enroll in an FBS school you have to sit out a year if you transfer to another FBS program. If you transfer down, say to FCS, or receive a hardship wavier, you can play right away. You can sign only 25 players a year, if you have left over scholarships from the previous year early enrollees can count back against those scholarships. You can only have 85 players on scholarship at a time. Walk-on players that have two full years with the program can receive a scholarship which only counts towards the 85 total limit, if they have less than two years they count against the yearly 25.

Don't feel bad for McLaurin. He put this on himself. He wasn't going to class so Fleck either told him to transfer out or he was going to kick him off the team.

Thus, he takes the way that saves the most face for everyone.

How many we can sign is based on 85. It's a fluid number. Guys leave, new guys arrive but you can't have more than that. So in this case Gopher Weather Guy makes sense to me. So, in the fall I think 85 guys will be on scholarship and McLauren won't be one of them. It's two different school semesters.

There are yearly limits too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't feel bad for McLaurin. He put this on himself. He wasn't going to class so Fleck either told him to transfer out or he was going to kick him off the team.

Thus, he takes the way that saves the most face for everyone.

How do you know this?

Gobie and Burns

If he wasn't going to class, that is his issue. If a kid is doing the academic side, and just isn't making it athletically I would hope we wouldn't run him off if he wants to stay. While I don't like the RTB stuff, Fleck doesn't seem to be the the type that would just run the kid off. Why a kid would throw away a free education...

I'm curious can we sign a different player now to count against the 2017 recruiting class? Does anyone know how that works?
Does McLaurin still count against us for 2017 class?

He still counts although he may have been added back to 2016 since he entered early. We can still apply up to 3 from next year to this year though since we didn't get to the max of 28 (25 per year plus 3 added back from following year).

I think the rule is you can sign 25 a year plus 3 more as carry overs for midyear transfers if you do not sign 25 the year before and have scholarships available. Right now I believe we have 27 signed for next year including the guy who signed up over the weekend. Three of the 27 are midyears (Guthrie, Morgan, McLaurin) and Eric Abojei is probably JUCO bound so I guess we can add 1 or 2 more scholarship guys for 2017 depending on Abojei's ACT score. Maybe we get a grad transfer for the secondary to fill in for Durer while he rehabs. McLaurin's scholarship is important for future classes since I believe he was a 4 to play 3 guy. A stopgap corner would be my goal for what looks like one remaining scholarship if it means anything to any of you. ;-)

And PJF also said they they "wouldn't have recruited a JuCo QB".

I missed it. What happened on signing day?

Flack said he was already in the program and they would figure out what they had with him. A less than glowing description and it seemed to take most people by surprise. A total of 10 seconds was maybe spent on him.

Fleck essentially had very little positive to say about Neil, he mostly talked about how he was a "leftover" from the previous regime. Fleck did not seem exctied to talk about him at all.

Was one of the few things that disappointed me during the early PJ performance. No reason to humiliate the kid by omission.

Was one of the few things that disappointed me during the early PJ performance. No reason to humiliate the kid by omission.

Agreed, I sort of wonder if this was Neil's choice or if he was kindly asked to leave. I know he never would have played here but I doubt he end up at another P5 school.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is good for the gophers. If he wasn't already enrolled when Fleck arrived, he never would've signed here, just like every other out of state kid that had given their verbal before Fleck arrived.

Agreed, I sort of wonder if this was Neil's choice or if he was kindly asked to leave. I know he never would have played here but I doubt he end up at another P5 school.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Also agreed. If I was him and heard what Fleck said I would have been on the phone that day trying to figure out what I had to do to transfer. That was embarrassing. I was uncomfortable as a fan who was thrilled by the Fleck hire. My buddies and I were pretty shocked by it.

I wonder if he's just been figuring out what to do and that's why he wasn't going to class (assuming that's true). Such as if he enrolled somewhere else and was waiting for his acceptance letter, waiting to hear from the NCAA, etc. Since he never played I'm not sure if he'd have to sit out a year or not. Has he been practicing? If he hasn't practiced and hasn't played I don't think he has to sit out a year. Granted, he might have to anyway practically speaking since he missed Spring ball wherever he ends up.

Wish him the best regardless. If you look at his Twitter he was very excited to be here and it's unfortunate it didn't work out.

Here is hoping it works out for him.

Agreed that this whole situation has been unfortunate... and weird.

Also agreed. If I was him and heard what Fleck said I would have been on the phone that day trying to figure out what I had to do to transfer. That was embarrassing. I was uncomfortable as a fan who was thrilled by the Fleck hire. My buddies and I were pretty shocked by it.

I wonder if he's just been figuring out what to do and that's why he wasn't going to class (assuming that's true). Such as if he enrolled somewhere else and was waiting for his acceptance letter, waiting to hear from the NCAA, etc. Since he never played I'm not sure if he'd have to sit out a year or not. Has he been practicing? If he hasn't practiced and hasn't played I don't think he has to sit out a year. Granted, he might have to anyway practically speaking since he missed Spring ball wherever he ends up.

Wish him the best regardless. If you look at his Twitter he was very excited to be here and it's unfortunate it didn't work out.

He wasn't going to class and he was practicing. Fleck didn't sound too happy when he answered a question about him yesterday almost like he was kicked off the team but he framed it that he left.

Rodgers was a juco

OK? I'm just stating what PJ said at the signing social. Was clear he wasn't happy that McL was here and said recruiting a JuCo QB is not what they would have done. It was uncomfortable - as others here have commented on.

OK? I'm just stating what PJ said at the signing social. Was clear he wasn't happy that McL was here and said recruiting a JuCo QB is not what they would have done. It was uncomfortable - as others here have commented on.

I think it's a little short sighted. While Rodgers is exception I'm not an anti juco guy

Should've expanded originally

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

You'd think with all the stuff that went down publicly about the player suspensions like the way Coyle invokes dtudent privacy laws that PJF will keep McLaurin's information private.

He wasn't going to class and he was practicing. Fleck didn't sound too happy when he answered a question about him yesterday almost like he was kicked off the team but he framed it that he left.

True that being truant from class wasn't the best way to deal with it- but can't imagine how the kid felt after the Social. I think any of us would feel pretty disenfranchised if in his shoes. Hope things work out for him and he learns more effective coping strategies.

Top Bottom