Neil McLaurin has left program

Saw this coming as soon as I watched the signing day press conference.

I'm surprised they didn't consider a position change for him. He seems quite athletic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What was you favorite McLaurin moment...

Impossible. Highwaywoman told us he would be starting vs Buffalo.

Saw this coming as soon as I watched the signing day press conference.

Agreed, not surprising at all. He was a juco that was 5th string. I'm wondering if, since he started school, he needs to sit out a year with a transfer? Possibly he gets released and because he never actually played football he's free to go anywhere. I'd expect a D2 school anyway. Too bad it didn't work out, but sometimes that's what happens with new coaches and the previous regime's recruits. Best of luck to him...

from Gopher Sports:

PREVIOUS COLLEGE: Spent the last two years at Southwest Mississippi Community College before enrolling at Minnesota in January 2017 • attended West Jones High School in Laurel, Miss. • was injured in the first game of the 2015 season but started eight games for the Bears in 2016 • completed 85 passes for 964 yards and eight touchdowns • rushed for 440 yards and six touchdowns on 80 carries • in high school threw for 2,982 yards and 31 touchdowns and ran for 1,387 yards and 26 touchdowns in his career • a three-star recruit by 247 Sports and ESPN and a two-star recruit by Scout and Rivals • tabbed the No. 1 dual-threat junior college quarterback by ESPN • 247 Sports ranked him as the No. 5 dual-threat junior college quarterback and as the No. 46 recruit in Mississippi • coached by Tucker Peavey.

Once Fleck was hired, he never really had a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious can we sign a different player now to count against the 2017 recruiting class? Does anyone know how that works?
Does McLaurin still count against us for 2017 class?

Impossible. Highwaywoman told us he would be starting vs Buffalo.

Thanks, always classy. I would rebut if you knew what it meant.

Too bad for him, but that happens when you're caught in the middle of a coaching change. Hope he is able to find a place to play.
Would really suck for him if he has to sit a year.

I feel bad for him, he signed his LOI before Fleck took over. He was in a tough spot at that point being a Claeys/Johnson guy. I hope things work out for him.

When it came to quarterbacks, the Kill/Claeys era missed on a few evaluations. But Jerry is an offensive coordinator now. I'll keep an open mind and see how the Rutgers offense performs. Hopefully, McLaurin can play somewhere immediately but maybe that's not in his best interest. He needs spring ball at his new team to compete. Pretty hard to learn the system and at the same time win a job in the fall alone. Likely best if has to sit out a year. I wish him luck. In a different system he can compete at quarterback. I highly doubt he wanted to play safety (if offered)...he sees himself as quarterback I'm guessing.

Ok let's go for consensus:

1.McLaurn should be able to go wherever somebody wants him and shouldn't have to sit out.
2. "Highwaywoman" is an unacceptable burn and deserving of ridicule.Both for sexism and complete lack of originality.

I just want to know if this burned a 2017 scholarship or if we get it back to use on someone else

I just want to know if this burned a 2017 scholarship or if we get it back to use on someone else

Well, logic would say the scholarship was counted for this winter/spring term. Scholarships are not guaranteed, it no longer belongs to anyone, So it makes sense to me the scholarship is available to be used in the fall term for someone else. But, of course I have no idea and I'm just saying how it seems to me.

I think you just need to be down to 85 when fall camp starts, but who's left at this point? You don't see a lot of quality players available 2 months after NSD.

I think you just need to be down to 85 when fall camp starts, but who's left at this point? You don't see a lot of quality players available 2 months after NSD.

And we already have open scholarships available. So another PWO may get the scholarship this fall that's a junior or senior if we got somebody like that? Cashman is already covered. Or they have some guys like our weekend JC OL guy in the wings.

I'm going to say yes. Not certain, but most rules are set up to not create a situation where the school can benefit if they were to run kids off the team. Not saying we did here, but you could see the issues if we could run kids we didn't like out and sign new kids we did at will. I also believe him transferring out hurts our APR.

I feel bad for NM. He chose to come here and it was obvious from the start that PJF wanted nothing to do with him. His "breakdown" of Neil at the signing social was borderline rude. Good Luck to him!

I assume it wouldn't be any different than getting a scholarship back for Elmore and Mayes who also left this semester. Without McLaurin they are only at 81 scholarships. I assume Cashman will make it 82 at some point and Abojei could be 83.

I'm going to say yes. Not certain, but most rules are set up to not create a situation where the school can benefit if they were to run kids off the team. Not saying we did here, but you could see the issues if we could run kids we didn't like out and sign new kids we did at will. I also believe him transferring out hurts our APR.

I feel bad for NM. He chose to come here and it was obvious from the start that PJF wanted nothing to do with him. His "breakdown" of Neil at the signing social was borderline rude. Good Luck to him!

Except, it's common for some people to transfer at every school after spring football and I don't think all those scholarships sit idle. By your logic we can't use Elmore's scholarship either. What about the other transfers? Moore and Mayes. Don't think it works that way but don't know.

Except, it's common for some people to transfer at every school after spring football and I don't think all those scholarships sit idle. By your logic we can't use Elmore's scholarship either. What about the other transfers? Moore and Mayes. Don't think it works that way but don't know.

You could be right. Grad transfers are different tho - all around. I know transfers hurt your APR, just assumed scholly count too. As I said, just a guess.

I assume it wouldn't be any different than getting a scholarship back for Elmore and Mayes who also left this semester. Without McLaurin they are only at 81 scholarships. I assume Cashman will make it 82 at some point and Abojei could be 83.

To clarify I'm not asking about the number of players on scholarship total. I'm wondering about the number of players we can sign for the 2017 class. With Ben Davis and Mclauren both that puts us at 27. I read somewhere we could maybe sign 28 if Fleck finds someone else. Based on what the others said I'm not optimistic about getting Mclauren's back.

Note: I'm still counting Eric Abojei in the 27.

To clarify I'm not asking about the number of players on scholarship total. I'm wondering about the number of players we can sign for the 2017 class. With Ben Davis and Mclauren both that puts us at 27. I read somewhere we could maybe sign 28 if Fleck finds someone else. Based on what the others said I'm not optimistic about getting Mclauren's back.

Note: I'm still counting Eric Abojei in the 27.

I'm pretty sure he has to be counted as initial counter. You only get 25/year so I think the 28 comes from 3 extra spots leftover for 2016-2017. I think there were only 3 early enrollees, correct? 1 being McLauren. So that still would have left all 25 spots in 2017 class for the other 22 that signed NLI plus Davis, plus potentially Abojei, plus another late signee/transfer, or walk on entering 1st or 2nd year, or mid-yr enrollee next winter to count back. I believe even if he didn't need to be considered as an initial counter it wouldn't matter anyway as there'd be no one else that qualifies to count back to that opening in the 2016 class.

As for the total 85 they can definitely get that scholarship back and can fill it. The exception being they now have limited spots in 2017 class. And once those 25 slots are filled they can only fill any remaining scholarships with guys that no longer would be considered initial counters (walk ones who have already been on campus for 2 years).

Top Bottom