Louisville center Matz Stockman transferring to Minnesota

At the end of year he was better but his offensive game def doesn't look develop. He doesn't have any post moves and alot of his points came off drop offs. His footwork on O is still bad. He was great but most of that was due to his defensive capabilities which have always been there.

I hear what you are saying but I screamed no most every time he made a decision in non conference. He's definitely not polished. You wouldn't confuse him with Happ on post moves. But he had some one dribble elbow drives and a baseline drive for dunks that were awesome later in the year. His ugly wheel hook got a little more of a basketball look to it. Point is, he was better.

Next year lineup:

PG: Mason/Washington
SG: McBrayer/Harris
SF: Coffey/Fitz/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Curry/Fitz/Diedou
C: Lynch/Konate

That's 11 players to rotate for next year.

2018-19:

PG: Washington/Jones?
SG: McBrayer/Harris/Kaleseur
SF: Coffey/Hurt/Thompson
PF: Murphy/Curry/Fitz
C: Otero/Stockman

Helps take some pressure off recruiting a Big in 2018, Where we are going to need to fill some holes.

I count 12 unless you aren't including Gaston.

I hear what you are saying but I screamed no most every time he made a decision in non conference. He's definitely not polished. You wouldn't confuse him with Happ on post moves. But he had some one dribble elbow drives and a baseline drive for dunks that were awesome later in the year. His ugly wheel hook got a little more of a basketball look to it. Point is, he was better.

He did improve throughout the year but I don't think Reggie Lynch's "development" will be a selling point for Hurt especially since Hurt isn't a Center he's more of a stretch 4 who can play 5 but is not a banger

Honestly I bet we would have been a tough sell for a grad transfer. If you are going to go somewhere for just one year you want to play. For Springs it made perfect sense because our backcourt was really thin. Going into next year we have solid depth throughout the roster and a lot of established players and in all likelihood all 5 starters already in place. So a grad transfer is more than likely looking at a 6th man role at best coming here. I am sure the staff looked for someone that would have been a perfect fit for the upcoming season but that may have been a pretty daunting task.

That is exactly my point. People wanted a grad transfer SF or C. Which grad transfer was going to do that and come here to sit behind returning starters? The only other place you could somewhat argue was the 2 but that meant splitting minutes with McBrayer. Just didn't seem like we'd get a grad transfer

There aren't many college teams that rotate 12 players for any meaningful minutes. I think the rotation looks pretty good next year barring injuries. This definitely addresses a huge hole in the 2018/2019 season.

Do you think he got a decent scouting report on the kid from Daddy?

I'm assuming he is decent if we got him from Louisville.

Oh, and at 7'2" I'd hope dunking would be easy!

Randy Brewer couldn't dunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the end of year he was better but his offensive game def doesn't look develop. He doesn't have any post moves and alot of his points came off drop offs. His footwork on O is still bad. He was great but most of that was due to his defensive capabilities which have always been there.

I was very pleased with Reggie's low post game this year. He has much better touch around the basket than I would have thought. Still though, I'd give probably more credit to the ISU staff for developing him than our staff. He was a very solid/good player before he got here.

I was very pleased with Reggie's low post game this year. He has much better touch around the basket than I would have though. Still though, I'd give probably more credit to the ISU staff for developing him than our staff. He was a very solid/good player before he got here.

Really? I thought most people doubted if he could play in the B1G. Reggie's has developed a lot with Pitino's staff. He actually has played some extended time without fouling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was very pleased with Reggie's low post game this year. He has much better touch around the basket than I would have though. Still though, I'd give probably more credit to the ISU staff for developing him than our staff. He was a very solid/good player before he got here.

Exactly. He was already one of top shot blockers in the country before he stepped foot on campus. He had almost identical stats at ISU as he had here.

He did improve throughout the year but I don't think Reggie Lynch's "development" will be a selling point for Hurt especially since Hurt isn't a Center he's more of a stretch 4 who can play 5 but is not a banger

I think we are probably saying the same thing all along. ha I agree Lynch's development is not a selling point to anybody. Bakary improved but it wasn't sustainable to finish the season nor enough to brag about. Gas evidently not enough to even play. Holmes definitely did improve a lot but not enough for touting that as a recruiting point and who knows if the coach responsible for Holmes is still on staff.
Matthew Hurt is definitely a 4, not a 5, utilized to his desires and best skills. I wouldn't agree he doesn't necessarily possess the instinct to bang but it is not how he is used at JM. But he can bang and doesn't shy away from contact around the hoop. In high school he spends the night on the perimeter offensively and defensively...but when he is inside he's not timid. That's what I see.

This is somewhat of a "meh" move for me, but I'll trust Richard on this one. Only a two-year commitment if it doesn't work out. Also balances the classes a bit. We should be able to get enough at the 5, between Oturu, Curry, and Stockman.

I think we are probably saying the same thing all along. ha I agree Lynch's development is not a selling point to anybody. Bakary improved but it wasn't sustainable to finish the season nor enough to brag about. Gas evidently not enough to even play. Holmes definitely did improve a lot but not enough for touting that as a recruiting point and who knows if the coach responsible for Holmes is still on staff.
Matthew Hurt is definitely a 4, not a 5, utilized to his desires and best skills. I wouldn't agree he doesn't necessarily possess the instinct to bang but it is not how he is used at JM. But he can bang and doesn't shy away from contact around the hoop. In high school he spends the night on the perimeter offensively and defensively...but when he is inside he's not timid. That's what I see.

I agree with this take. Someone else pointed out Lynch's and Stockman's development as a Hurt selling point and I diidn't understand that rationale.

Totally disagree with this. I think most people would say they were pleasantly surprised with Reggie's footwork and touch on the block.

Totally disagree with this. I think most people would say they were pleasantly surprised with Reggie's footwork and touch on the block.

I guess your expectations were really low because his footwork never improved. His touch got better on his hook shot but his footwork didn't improve throughout the year

I guess your expectations were really low because his footwork never improved. His touch got better on his hook shot but his footwork didn't improve throughout the year

While passing off blanket statements of opinion as fact can be fun, I will agree to disagree.

Pitino has a good record with Big men development so far.

This guy isn't supposed to be a feature player but a supporting player.

Who is Holmes?

So, does he have one or two years of eligibility after he sits?

Cookie Holmes- Remember this is 60's guy. I get where he is coming from here.

Is he pointing to the development of a big man from 25 years and 4 coaches ago as a selling point in the recruitment of Matthew Hurt? The first three guys he mentioned are all currently playing for Pitino, and then he throws in the name of a guy who played for the Gophers 2 decades before Matthew Hurt was born, so I thought he was misremembering the name of Walker or Eliason or some other big man who played here in the last 4 years.

I also don't think I had ever heard of Cookie Holmes before today.

John Holmes, now he was a BIG man.

Didn't know who this was either, but now I do lol

Top Bottom