Louisville center Matz Stockman transferring to Minnesota

latest

He plugs a hole. He'll eventually help but not exactly the way many of us would have wished the roster was managed. He provides no depth next year. He ties up a scholarship for two years. He averaged 2 points, so if he gets stronger, gets more minutes and changes his best maybe we get 6 points a game from him? Is that a good contract for Gopher basketball to enter at this early juncture? If we had nobody in July, this seems better but it still ties up a scholarship for two years with limited upside in one year.
We must be convinced Fitz will somehow get and stay healthy and that Harris indeed will contribute or we are very thin. Rudrud will have to be the guy. Obviously, I am counting on Washington to be a major contributor.

Wow! I'm glad to see this stuff. Keep putting the 2015-2016 season further behind us.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

http://www.slamonline.com/college-h...y-national-prep-showcase/#vsySodJhGx0H2bYz.99

Matz Stockman, 7-2, Canarias Basketball Academy (Spain), 2014

A true back-to-the-basket center, the native of Norway drew a buzz in the States when he seemingly committed to Louisville out of nowhere. Well, they got a good one. The lefty is extremely coordinated for his size, is automatic with his jump hook going towards his right shoulder, and is athletic enough to dunk anything he gets in the paint. Matz is going to have to keep working to fit in with Louisville’s frenetic up and down pace, but talent wise, he’s ready to step on the floor and contribute at the high major level.

Looks like he played with Gaston.

I sure hope the "Norwegian Nightmare" is truly worthy of a scholarship as we only have him for one year.

https://twitter.com/gocards/status/851819121377456129

He's 7'2", looks like he doesn't play much. Will sit out 2017-18 and play his final year in 2018-19. 3 star out of high school, looks like he'll provide some depth and experience, but not a game changer.

Perfect, can go up against Lynch everyday in Practice. It will be good for Reggie to battle guy with his size too. Gives us a guy to pair with Oturu and Curry the next year as well.

I'm intrigued. Man does he dunk easily. Seems pretty smooth too.

Like I have been saying, a center is what we need most in 2018-2019. Our depth is fine next year...we have 4 starters and our 6th man returning and are adding Washington, Harris and Fitzgerald and losing Springs. We will only be better next year as our preseason rankings show. This helps making our classes less unbalanced than a grad transfer would and addresses our biggest need... a center of the future to fill a hole...not add depth, fill a hole. It would be difficult to get a grad transfer to come here and compete for minutes in the guard positions. Most grad transfers want guaranteed minutes and were aren't in a position to offer that to any grad transfer guard. Good job Pitino!

7'2", left handed. Looks smooth enough. I don't know if he is a huge difference maker but I assume he can block/alter some shots, rebound and make practices more challenging.

My first reaction is this is Richard doing Rick a favor and moving an undesirable off Louisville roster. Yes, he received offer from Loui and AZ, but if you're only contributing 2 pts per after your Jr year, clearly the evaluators were extremely bullish. I agree with the point that was made earlier - this might make sense in July / August if you have exhausted options for a quality grad transfer that can contribute immediately / find a more desirable option for 2018-2019 transfer.

On the other hand, having a 7'2" guy that at one point was considered a high upside talent by Loui and AZ on your roster can't be considered the end of the world. And you wouldn't think Rick would want to dump a guy with no upside on his son who I can only assume he wants to see succeed... the pieces don't seem to completely fit at this point, I guess we'll just have to wait a few years to accurately assess.

Yes, it is great for 2018,19. It's great for the bigs in practice this year. But history says Fitzgerald is not able to stay healthy. If he is not healthy our depth is 5 guys who have proven they can play and two incoming freshmen. I think Washington can be elite. Maybe Harris can too, but can he defend? can do anything but shoot an open 3? He to me is an unknown. What if one of the five gets hurt? That is more normal than it is to stay healthy up until the last regular season game. If we were Without Fitz, plus an injury to one of 5 or Washington and we are counting on Harris to provide a lot of quality minutes not to mention we are playing three 6 foot guys, depending.
With the unknowns, I think we needed to add a proven contributor for this years team. If Fitz plays 40 games, if nobody else gets hurt we are golden but one injury to the top 7 (5 guys who have started plus Fitz and Washington) is pretty scary to me now.

Have to believe Richard has a very good idea in what he is getting in Matz given that he has played for his Dad. Would also think Rick wouldn't try to dump a worthless player on Richard. Tough to say how it will all work out but I'm all for a 7'2" player that can move because you can't teach size.

Do you think he got a decent scouting report on the kid from Daddy?

I'm assuming he is decent if we got him from Louisville.

Oh, and at 7'2" I'd hope dunking would be easy!

I would be all for this if he could play next year, or if Gaston's scholarship was open. But tying it up for two years to get one season of a reserve center is a bit of a bummer. That said, we probably didn't want two freshman centers in 18-19.

Nope. Layups only. :cool:

My first reaction is this is Richard doing Rick a favor and moving an undesirable off Louisville roster. Yes, he received offer from Loui and AZ, but if you're only contributing 2 pts per after your Jr year, clearly the evaluators were extremely bullish. I agree with the point that was made earlier - this might make sense in July / August if you have exhausted options for a quality grad transfer that can contribute immediately / find a more desirable option for 2018-2019 transfer.

On the other hand, having a 7'2" guy that at one point was considered a high upside talent by Loui and AZ on your roster can't be considered the end of the world. And you wouldn't think Rick would want to dump a guy with no upside on his son who I can only assume wants to see his son succeed... the pieces don't seem to completely fit at this point, will try to stay open minded / give staff benefit of the doubt.

Richard is not going to do his dad a favor by simply taking a kid that doesn't add value. That makes no sense. Richard is not stupid.

We don't always need "starters" at every position. Bakary, despite what many think, is one of the better backup centers in the Big Ten. He did a nice job in a number of games this year, and in the current state of college basketball, if you have a really talented big he is going to want a lot of minutes or go pro. Bakary gives us five fouls, plays decent defense, and gets a few rebounds. You only need 10 minutes max, and usually less.

This new kid may be asked to do more, or is simply a backup to Oturo and Curry. Who knows, but I trust Richard has a pretty decent plan and isn't just helping out good 'ol dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand, having a 7'2" guy that at one point was considered a high upside talent by Loui and AZ on your roster can't be considered the end of the world. And you wouldn't think Rick would want to dump a guy with no upside on his son who I can only assume he wants to see succeed... the pieces don't seem to completely fit at this point, I guess we'll just have to wait a few years to accurately assess.

Kind of doubt Rick would be dumping garbage in his sons back yard. This makes a lot of sense to me. Oturu is the only center rostered for fall 2018. Curry can spot play there, but need help.

Yes, it is great for 2018,19. It's great for the bigs in practice this year. But history says Fitzgerald is not able to stay healthy. If he is not healthy our depth is 5 guys who have proven they can play and two incoming freshmen. I think Washington can be elite. Maybe Harris can too, but can he defend? can do anything but shoot an open 3? He to me is an unknown. What if one of the five gets hurt? That is more normal than it is to stay healthy up until the last regular season game. If we were Without Fitz, plus an injury to one of 5 or Washington and we are counting on Harris to provide a lot of quality minutes not to mention we are playing three 6 foot guys, depending.
With the unknowns, I think we needed to add a proven contributor for this years team. If Fitz plays 40 games, if nobody else gets hurt we are golden but one injury to the top 7 (5 guys who have started plus Fitz and Washington) is pretty scary to me now.

I'm nitpicking a little, because I don't think you're making bad points overall, but we definitely have 6 proven guys next year before counting Fitz and the FR (or BK who I think is serviceable).

Mason
McBrayer
Coffey
Murphy
Lynch
Curry

I was told that he would have two years to play after sitting out a year. He only played 4 games his freshman year so maybe he got a medical RS?

Next year lineup:

PG: Mason/Washington
SG: McBrayer/Harris
SF: Coffey/Fitz/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Curry/Fitz/Diedou
C: Lynch/Konate

That's 11 players to rotate for next year.

2018-19:

PG: Washington/Jones?
SG: McBrayer/Harris/Kaleseur
SF: Coffey/Hurt/Thompson
PF: Murphy/Curry/Fitz
C: Otero/Stockman

Helps take some pressure off recruiting a Big in 2018, Where we are going to need to fill some holes.

I reallnt mind this as I think it gives us stability for 18/19. I know it doesn't help for next year but I feel as if everyone is really underestimating our depth next year

17-18
PG:Mason, Washington
SG:McBrayer, Coffey, Harris
SF:Coffey, Fitzgerald, Hurt
PF:Murphy, Curry
C:Lyncy, Konate

I included Harris although I don't think that he will make too big of an impact but I hope I am wrong. Also gives Mike Hurt a chance at some minutes where I think he can improve to be serviceable although I don't see him or Harris getting much over a handful of minutes depending on the game.

18/19
PG: Washington-'18 recruit (hopefully Tre but wishful thinking)
SG: McBrayer, Harris
SF: Coffey, Hurt
PF: Murphy, Oturo
C: Curry, Stockman

I know the 18/19 lineup seems thin but we also have 4 additional Scholarships we can use to fill these in. I think it doesn't seem like as good as a lineup because its unknown what we will get in Harris and what other kids we will sign. I will say though if we didn't get Stockman or another transfer that was a Center we would really be hurting for depth and would lack a rim protector almost completely.

Here's he thing: basically it was going to come down to a grad transfer wing or a regular transfer center for this open spot. Depending on if you were all in on next year or thought more long term, that probably influenced which position you preferred to be addressed. I was fine with either and could understand either. That being said, this isn't exactly the guy I was hoping for

I am sure Richard and the staff are very familiar with him since he played with Gaston. Gaston could fill them in on this kid's character and personality as well.

Last season Gophers had 5 scholarship players who either couldn't play or provided next to nothing:

1 Diedhiou
2 Fitzgerald
3 Gilbert
4 Haugh
5 Hurt

For 2017-18 it appears we'll have a minimum of 2 and perhaps as many as 5:

1 Diedhiou
2 Stockman
3? Fitzgerald (bonus if he provides quality minutes)
4? Hurt (jury is out)
5? Harris (the less sure thing of the 2 freshmen)

Assuming Washington is a rotation player, next season Gophs need 1 of the 3 question marks to contribute more than just being a body out on the floor. Would give them a solid rotation of 9, though "play 8, trust 7" wouldn't be the end of the world.

I think I would have preferred a front court of something like

PF: Murphy, Race or high level 18 recruit
C: Curry, Oturu

instead of this

PF: Murphy, Curry
C: Oturu, Stockman

Not exactly stoked about this.

Sounds good to me! I'm now confident we will make the NCAA tournament the next 2 years. To me this locks up a solid year in '18-'19 before addition of the rest of the freshmen that year.

Top Bottom