Louisville center Matz Stockman transferring to Minnesota

In my world, it's every dad who does the favors for the kid. As much as Rick enjoys watching Richard coach, hard to believe he sticks him with someone who's not going to contribute. Sidenote ... if he was a teammate of Diedhiou, do we also have video of him leaping over chairs?

There was a huge need for a big man in 2018, I doubt Oturo would be ready to start day one as a freshman, as is noted big men develop slower and I'm sure Oturo won't be any different, I'm guessing Pitino figured this was the best option to fill that gap and get a player comfortable with playing his style and in this setting. He is probably pretty secure with the guards he will have next year, he knows where Fitzgerald is at, what to expect from Hurt, and where the newcomers will fit in. Spring recruiting is tough unless you are one of the big boys, expectations may have gotten to high.

Look at our center depth in 17-18. Now look at our center depth in 18-19. You're overthinking this.

I don't know if the kid can play but it makes perfect sense from a position, roster, and scholarship balance standpoint, and allows us to keep recruiting top 18 and 19 bigs hard.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. No one disputes that the team has a real need for a center in 18-19. The argument isn't getting a center vs. not getting a center. The argument isn't even whether this kid can contribute or not in the future (I believe he can). The argument is whether Richard would have pulled the trigger on getting this particular center under these particular circumstances without the significant influence of his father. There are a number of uncommitted transfer big men who would have given the program more than one year of playing time for two years of scholarship time (even former commit Jonathan Nwankwo would have had three years of eligibility). Even a grad transfer would have tied up a scholarship for only one year and might have at least given the team insurance for next year. This team may look really good on paper right now, but if either Lynch or Murphy go down next year we're in for some real difficulty.

This isn't even remotely close to what we were talking about though. That's not what I'm arguing

Another argumentative technique of a dope: saying "we weren't talking about what we were talking about" when you're backed into a corner and have nothing to refute the other conclusion. One of George W. Bush's professors in his MBA program related how that was George's go-to move in graduate school discussions.

Another argumentative technique of a dope: saying "we weren't talking about what we were talking about" when you're backed into a corner and have nothing to refute the other conclusion. One of George W. Bush's professors in his MBA program related how that was George's go-to move in graduate school discussions.

Maybe re-read my posts.

All I'm arguing is that it's preposterous that A. We did this as a favor to ol man Pitino and B. hopefully we can get some help from them in the future

That's it. That's all I'm arguing about with you. Not sure why you don't understand that

Here is the official release from the U:

Gophers Add Transfer Center Matz Stockman

Head coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of forward/center Matz (pronounced MOTTS) Stockman, who will transfer to the Minnesota men’s basketball program.

Stockman, a native of Oslo, Norway who spent three seasons at the University of Louisville, will sit out the 2017-18 season before taking the court with one year of eligibility for the Gophers.

“I am very excited about the addition of Matz Stockman,” said Pitino. “I believe Matz will come in and contribute immediately. He’s got the size and skill to make an impact in the Big Ten. He will be a terrific addition on the court, in the locker room, on campus and in the classroom.”

In his three seasons with the Cardinals, the 7-foot, 240-pound Stockman appeared in 45 games in a reserve role. He connected on 56.5 percent of his field goal attempts (39-69) while scoring 97 points (2.2 ppg). Stockman also grabbed 71 rebounds (1.6 rpg), blocked 14 shots and recorded eight assists and five steals. Stockman averaged 5.3 minutes per game during his time in Louisville.

Several of his career-high performances came this past season, including a 10-point outing against Grand Canyon (Dec. 3) in which he was a perfect 3-for-3 from the field and 4-of-5 from the free throw line.

Stockman is a graduate of the Canarias Basketball Academy in the Canary Islands.

Maybe re-read my posts.

All I'm arguing is that it's preposterous that A. We did this as a favor to ol man Pitino and B. hopefully we can get some help from them in the future

That's it. That's all I'm arguing about with you. Not sure why you don't understand that

Actually, you should reread my post. I didn't suggest that we could expect reciprocity from Louisville in the future. Someone else suggested that and my reply was "Maybe, but I won't hold my breath."

As far as my view that the circumstantial evidence points to this move being weighted towards a favor for dad, I stand by that and you have nothing, nothing at all, to refute that. Throwing around the word "preposterous" isn't an argument. It's a technique used by someone with huff and puff and nothing else.

If the staff can develop this kid over the next couple of years, it would be one more selling point with Matthew Hurt.

My thoughts exactly, they are setting the table for Matthew Hurt.

Let's hope he comes for dinner.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. No one disputes that the team has a real need for a center in 18-19. The argument isn't getting a center vs. not getting a center. The argument isn't even whether this kid can contribute or not in the future (I believe he can). The argument is whether Richard would have pulled the trigger on getting this particular center under these particular circumstances without the significant influence of his father. There are a number of uncommitted transfer big men who would have given the program more than one year of playing time for two years of scholarship time (even former commit Jonathan Nwankwo would have had three years of eligibility). Even a grad transfer would have tied up a scholarship for only one year and might have at least given the team insurance for next year. This team may look really good on paper right now, but if either Lynch or Murphy go down next year we're in for some real difficulty.

For my point being as obvious as it was, it's too bad you missed it. I don't WANT to get someone who "gives more than one year of playing time". Getting Nwankwo would suck because we couldn't refresh that scholly in 19. I'm saying we need a C that specific year to fill a gap (and then we get to use that scholarship again right after which I like), not that we just need to go get big bodies in general for future rosters (which, yes, is obvious).

Actually, you should reread my post. I didn't suggest that we could expect reciprocity from Louisville in the future. Someone else suggested that and my reply was "Maybe, but I won't hold my breath."

As far as my view that the circumstantial evidence points to this move being weighted towards a favor for dad, I stand by that and you have nothing, nothing at all, to refute that. Throwing around the word "preposterous" isn't an argument. It's a technique used by someone with huff and puff and nothing else.

Captain Obvious
Sheeple
Dope

Are these words "huff and puff" or making an argument?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my world, it's every dad who does the favors for the kid. As much as Rick enjoys watching Richard coach, hard to believe he sticks him with someone who's not going to contribute. Sidenote ... if he was a teammate of Diedhiou, do we also have video of him leaping over chairs?

Exactly- there is zero chance that this happens if Rick thinks the kid can't help the Gophers. Richard would have most certainly held open that scholarship for a fifth year senior transfer center if he didn't think Stockman could help.

My thoughts exactly, they are setting the table for Matthew Hurt.

Let's hope he comes for dinner.

Maybe I missed something but how is developing this guy in relation to any other player going to help us with Hurt? Hurt isn't a center, won't be playing at the same time as Matz, and isn't a big guy "project" as he should be ready to start day 1.

Not being a smart ass just don't know if there is some back story I'm missing.

Maybe I missed something but how is developing this guy in relation to any other player going to help us with Hurt? Hurt isn't a center, won't be playing at the same time as Matz, and isn't a big guy "project" as he should be ready to start day 1.

Not being a smart ass just don't know if there is some back story I'm missing.

My guess is that it doesn't put another player in rotation for the same position as Hurt at least making it possible for him to get minutes.

#coacheslivesmatter

Ryan James is without a doubt the best Gopher basketball commentator/analyst. I tend to trust his opinion/evaluation. Is there a problem with that?

I mean when you make a post calling out people prognosticating on a transfer move I think it's fair game for some snark back.

I'm sure Ryan James is a intellegent guy, not refuting that.

I remember this Matz because he was a factor in the Anas/Bakary decision. I remember because we had Anas on campus and the Stockman was already on the roster so we all thought we had a chance/were the smart choice for Anas. Bakary was also being recruited by Louisville at the time. It was a foreign big man smorgasbord.

That is really funny!

I mean when you make a post calling out people prognosticating on a transfer move I think it's fair game for some snark back.

I'm sure Ryan James is a intellegent guy, not refuting that.

Hmmm I guess I don't exactly know what you are referencing. I generally only share stuff I read from Ryan when it helps shed light on a topic. Like when people were wondering why there was so much talk about going after a transfer even though we didn't have an open scholarship.

Another thread filled with the infinite wisdom of GHers. Richard is no fool, he has an " inside" angle on getting a player that fills a severe, one year need. He doesn't want to commit 4 years on a guy that prevents him from reloading on his targeted big men.

Try looking at it in a different light. It is like we just signed a talented, experienced freshman C that needs to red shirt his first year to add strength and develop. He plays and fills a big hole in the roster his sophomore year. He then leaves and opens up a scholarship for you to reload the talent. Look at it like a rent a player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Captain Obvious
Sheeple
Dope

Are these words "huff and puff" or making an argument?

I made an argument. These guys didn't. They just threw around pejoratives and if I get that, I'll give back double. You can count on it.

Another thread filled with the infinite wisdom of GHers. Richard is no fool
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No one said he is a fool. The family does favors for you, but when the family calls, you gotta answer the call.

You told us to look at this like signing a talented freshman who needs a redshirt year. I guess you forgot that the freshman has four years of eligibility. Perhaps you need to go back to analogy school.

No one said he is a fool. The family does favors for you, but when the family calls, you gotta answer the call.

You told us to look at this like signing a talented freshman who needs a redshirt year. I guess you forgot that the freshman has four years of eligibility. Perhaps you need to go back to analogy school.

Hey cjbfbp- just curious- why is it that the only "dumping ground" that Pitino Sr. would be able to find for the big 7 footer is his son's team? Are you thinking that there was no other compatible team in America that would have taken him. And Stockman is happy just to get shuttled to where the Pitinos want him...only so that he won't play at the next destination? I just don't get why Richard would be needing to do a favor here.

Which uncommitted transfer big men are you talking about? There are very few big men transfers, they all have issues & any quality guy is going to be recruited by a ton a big schools. If Stockman was on the open market there would have been many schools interested, imo. Nwankwo's already transferred twice without ever playing a game & is now at his 3rd school in Southern Idaho. Maybe Richard saw enough the first time? We don't need a grad transfer this year, we've got Lynch & Bakary. We wouldn't have been attractive for a grad transfer anyhow since we have 2 Sr centers on the roster.

Louisville fan here.

Rick has never had trouble running off players so the thought that Richard took Matz as a favor is laughable.

Our internet fans can be rough on our players--a contingent wanted to run Russ Smith off after his Freshman year, then he led us in scoring his Soph, Junior, and Senior years which included a Final Four in 2012 and the title in 2013.

With that context, I was surprised at how many of our fans reacted positively when Rick raised the possibility a couple months ago that Matz could Redshirt next year to put a year between him and Mahmoud (I liked the idea as well). The decision to transfer makes sense though, because if he was going to sit out a year anyway he probably wanted to do it somewhere he would have a better shot at playing time.

Matz was our 3rd string center the last 2 years, and it was kind of funny to hear the reactions of announcers when our top 2 centers would get in foul trouble and we still had the depth to bring in a 7 footer to play the last 3 minutes of the first half (especially if he threw down a dunk or two).

My baseline expectation for his year as a Gopher would be to average around 6 points and 5 rebounds in 15 minutes per game, but he does have potential so maybe with the year off to develop he will contribute more than that.

Which uncommitted transfer big men are you talking about? There are very few big men transfers, they all have issues & any quality guy is going to be recruited by a ton a big schools. If Stockman was on the open market there would have been many schools interested, imo. Nwankwo's already transferred twice without ever playing a game & is now at his 3rd school in Southern Idaho. Maybe Richard saw enough the first time? We don't need a grad transfer this year, we've got Lynch & Bakary. We wouldn't have been attractive for a grad transfer anyhow since we have 2 Sr centers on the roster.

Fair questions.

Not true about Nwankwo. He's was pretty good for Southern Idaho this season but he did have a knee injury that ended his year after 18 games. I agree that is a cloud. Still, if it wasn't a bad one, I would argue that he could give the Gophers more over three years. But, there were others. Just check the transfers on Verbal Commits. Also, it wasn't like they had to recruit a center this season. They could have done that next year or they could have recruited a taller player listed as a power forward. There are a number of Big Ten teams that don't have a "true center."

I would also argue that the team is more vulnerable than we may think next year and a big man grad transfer would provide insurance. What happens if either Lynch, or Murphy, or even Curry goes down?

Hey cjbfbp- just curious- why is it that the only "dumping ground" that Pitino Sr. would be able to find for the big 7 footer is his son's team? Are you thinking that there was no other compatible team in America that would have taken him. And Stockman is happy just to get shuttled to where the Pitinos want him...only so that he won't play at the next destination? I just don't get why Richard would be needing to do a favor here.

No, I think the kid would have been picked up by someone but I don't think it would have been by a program with the stature of this one. I also think that Rick Pitino did think the kid had potential and wanted to place him somewhere he trusted where the kid would have a chance to play. I don't think the motives were all that bad here, but I think Minnesota could have done better and probably would have tried without the familial influence.

I don't like this at all. Hopefully I'm wrong. Not because I think Richard was conned by daddy but because I think tying up a scholly for two years for one year of playing is bad roster management especially if the dude is a stiff. And this dude seems to be a stiff to me.

Top Bottom