Louisville center Matz Stockman transferring to Minnesota

What I get from reading your comment is essentially we took him so ol man Pitino could have an extra spot, which if that's what you meant is extremely preposterous. Now maybe I'm reading your comment wrong but that's how I took it

Yeah, and if we didn't have the FBI and CIA investigations, my guess is you'd be saying that it was preposterous to suggest that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia. I don't see anything preposterous about suggesting that Richard might do things for Rick that he wouldn't do for someone else and I don't believe for a minute that the father doesn't have significant influence over the son. Notice how this guy didn't announce that he was transferring, end up on a transfer list first, and then receive an offer from Minnesota. The transfer and the acceptance were simultaneously announced. You don't see that often.

he's a heck of a player to practice against ( if you can get your shot off against a 7 footer..)

He had two blocked shots in 74 minutes this season. For comparison, Bakary had 25 in 319 minutes.

He had two blocked shots in 74 minutes this season. For comparison, Bakary had 25 in 319 minutes.

Because blocked shots are the single, only measure of a basketball player's ability. If we look at number of times tripping and falling over one's own feet, Bakary loses to EVERYONE. And don't get me wrong, I like Bak more than most Gopherholers. But it's unlikely Rick simply threw his garbage out and forcibly made us inherit it (see my previous post).

Obviously it's totally irrational to let this situation play out before passing judgment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because blocked shots are the single, only measure of a basketball player's ability. If we look at number of times tripping and falling over one's own feet, Bakary loses to EVERYONE. And don't get me wrong, I like Bak more than most Gopherholers. But it's unlikely Rick simply threw his garbage out and forcibly made us inherit it (see my previous post).

I didn't say the guy was garbage. I just don't think he's worth the scholarship unless he can play for two years and that Richard could have gotten a better deal elsewhere (and he might have had this guy not played for his father). Tying up a scholarship for two years to get one year of playing time is not something this player would seem to merit from a power conference program. People have brought up Colton Iverson but 1) Iverson played in 98 games before his transfer and 2) we're a Big Ten team, not Colorado State.

I didn't say the guy was garbage. I just don't think he's worth the scholarship unless he can play for two years and that Richard could have gotten a better deal elsewhere (and he might have had this guy not played for his father). Tying up a scholarship for two years to get one year of playing time is not something this player would seem to merit from a power conference program. People have brought up Colton Iverson but 1) Iverson played in 98 games before his transfer and 2) we're a Big Ten team, not Colorado State.

1. I don't agree with comparing him to Colt-45 at all. The circumstances aren't the same, so I 100% agree with you on that.

2. I'd be interested to hear who, within reason, would be a better fit. And sure, we wouldn't have gotten a no news-no heads up transfer from Louisville if it wasn't from Rick's team. But I think that's a good thing. Getting any transfer from a blue blood comes with some risk, but so does a transfer from any school. I see a higher risk/reward ratio with blue bloods, and with our depth being solid in the front court next year (and therefore not a need for a big to play immediately) and lack of centers the next year, I am in.

Again, I want to reiterate: none of my comments should be considered anything other than conjecture. I know nothing about braskentaballey.

He played a lot of minutes this game. Gets in the game at the 1:07:22 mark of the video and comes back in at the 1:57:50 mark.

How many altered? How much did his size make his opponent decide not to shoot? I have a feeling that playing against lynch in practice will help both of them. We'll know anyway what's his ability when word out of practice gets out.

I am skeptical of this one and I am surprised that their seems to be more positive than negative reaction to this addition given Stockman's stats/playing time at Louisville. He was their 3rd center last year and Anas Mahmoud isn't exactly a star. To take a guy who is sit one/play one my expectations are pretty high for what that player will contribute in their one year on the court. If Stockman isn't an above average starting center in the B1G in 2018-2019, I think he's a poor use of the scholarship. I like this move a whole lot better if Gas is leaving and Pitino has another addition he's planning on.

Here's a link to a Louisville beat writer talking about Stockman: One interesting thing he said is that they heard rumors this was in the works over the weekend.
http://790krd.iheart.com/onair/the-...mp=managed_social&utm_source=Managed_Facebook

My favorite tweet on the subject:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's an awful lot of words just to be smug and dismissive. I think you could have accomplished more with less.

Well, what do you think of this arrangement? He didn't need to come here to get another year of development and play one year thereafter. He could have stayed at Louisville and done that.

Richard Pitino probably could have gotten a grad transfer or a better sit-out transfer big man (or at least an equivalent one who could have played two or more years). Would any other Big Ten coach who wasn't Rick Pitino's son have used his last scholarship for this player under these circumstances? I doubt it. It will be interesting to see how many scholarships Louisville has available and who takes them.

It's difficult not to be dismissive when something so preposterous is suggested. In your original post you are saying that MN took this kid purely as a benefit to Louisville and since that's the only explanation we should expect reciprocity. Do you not see how those two statements are completely ridiculous? Time to put the tinfoil hat back on.

Yeah, and if we didn't have the FBI and CIA investigations, my guess is you'd be saying that it was preposterous to suggest that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia. I don't see anything preposterous about suggesting that Richard might do things for Rick that he wouldn't do for someone else and I don't believe for a minute that the father doesn't have significant influence over the son. Notice how this guy didn't announce that he was transferring, end up on a transfer list first, and then receive an offer from Minnesota. The transfer and the acceptance were simultaneously announced. You don't see that often.

Watertown gets it.

You were implying that we took him as a favor (which is preposterous) and that we should expect some form of payback someday (also extremely preposterous).

No one is suggesting we didn't land him because of that tie to Louisville, your logic behind it is what's preposterous.

Would you rather have Gilbert for the next two years or Stockman? I'd take Stockman sight unseen. Gilbert was not going to see the floor the next two years. Stockman fills a need, even if it is only for one year of playing time. Everyone wants a homerun when a scholarship opens up but rarely is that the reality of what can be had with short notice.

The other thing I think this signals is Richard isn't going anywhere for a while. Why take a guy like this if your intention was to use next years (hopefully) breakthrough season as a spring board to something bigger? This balances classes nicely and is something a coach does when he isn't planning on leaving.

Would you rather have Gilbert for the next two years or Stockman? I'd take Stockman sight unseen. Gilbert was not going to see the floor the next two years. Stockman fills a need, even if it is only for one year of playing time. Everyone wants a homerun when a scholarship opens up but rarely is that the reality of what can be had with short notice.

The other thing I think this signals is Richard isn't going anywhere for a while. Why take a guy like this if your intention was to use next years (hopefully) breakthrough season as a spring board to something bigger? This balances classes nicely and is something a coach does when he isn't planning on leaving.

A few thoughts:

- Losing Gilbert and adding Stockman are mutually exclusive. It's not an either/or situation at all. And Gilbert leaving was not a sudden surprise and the staff was not caught off guard. Additionally, we are still early in the "spring roster movement" game, most transfers haven't announced where they are going, so we didn't need to act quickly.

- I agree that any suggestion that this is a "favor" to Louisville is beyond crazy.

- I admit to having never heard of Stockman before yesterday. On the surface (outside of balancing the classes) this one seems like a very odd fit. I will say, that the one thing that has me cautiously optimistic is I have to imagine that our staff knows exactly what they are getting in Stockman and they must be very certain that a year off, a year on the weights, etc. will be a great benefit to his game and that he'll be ready to make an immediate impact in two years. I'm basing 100% of my cautious optimism on Rick giving Richard a very good report. Otherwise this doesn't seem like a good fit at this time.

Go Gophers!!

I remember this Matz because he was a factor in the Anas/Bakary decision. I remember because we had Anas on campus and the Stockman was already on the roster so we all thought we had a chance/were the smart choice for Anas. Bakary was also being recruited by Louisville at the time. It was a foreign big man smorgasbord.

Watertown gets it.

You were implying that we took him as a favor (which is preposterous) and that we should expect some form of payback someday (also extremely preposterous).

No one is suggesting we didn't land him because of that tie to Louisville, your logic behind it is what's preposterous.

No, EG#9 gets it. You and Watertown are naïve, authoritarian sheeple who fall in line to praise the leader with each move. Of course, we did this as a favor.

Pitino last year used a late opening scholarship to land a grad transfer to fill an immediate need. Previously, he used a scholarship to land a sit-out transfer center who had demonstrated that he was an impact player, held a record for blocked shots, and would play two years. What actions in his past would make you suggest that Richard was receptive about giving a two-year scholarship to a one-year developmental player - especially now when this program has reached its highest stature of the Pitino era?

There's nothing that can be done about this and maybe this guy will be helpful in his one playing year, but this team could have made a better deal and I'm not going to sing the praises of this move. You keep throwing the word "preposterous" around when the available evidence points to my conclusion which is the typical style of argument for a dope.

Or, he's leaving soon and as a favor to dad he's opening up a scholarship at Louisville so dad can sign a contributing player. It's not like we explored all the possibilities for the use of the scholarship. The season ended less than two weeks ago.
I bounce between thoughts if this makes sense to add this guy. From a sincere positive lens Richard knows a lot about this guy and if he feels the guy will help thats helpful. But those same eyes thought Gas and Konate could contribute too.

If I had to guess, and that's what we're all doing here, Stockman will be more parts Diedhiou than Konate.

Please stop with the "Richard did his dad a favor by taking this kid and opening up a spot at Louisville" BS! We didn't have to take Stockman. Rick could have sent him packing at any time like some good old spring "Creaning". Matz would've been buried on the bench at Louisville who some have the preseason #1 team if everyone returns. Plus they have a 7 foot 5 star and 6'10 4 star coming in as freshman. Sounds like huge minutes for Matz to me!!! If anything Rick did us a favor finding us an experienced big man to pair with Curry while Oturo and whatever other young big we bring in develops.

If I had to guess, and that's what we're all doing here, Stockman will be more parts Diedhiou than Konate.

You know more about basketball than I. However, I doubt this is true. This program has an upward arc to it and could be in the beginning stages of a long positive run. I can't believe that Pitino takes Stockman at this point, unless he feels he has a great chance of playing a lot and even starting a year from now. If his dad didn't think Stockman could play- this is the last destination on earth he would send him. We need a big man that can play right away after Konate and Lynch leave and I see no way that Richard would be willing to give that scholly away to a guy that he knows can't fill that role. If Rick wanted to dump Stockman there are a hundred other schools he could have passed him on to at a level that he felt was appropriate.

No, EG#9 gets it. You and Watertown are naïve, authoritarian sheeple who fall in line to praise the leader with each move. Of course, we did this as a favor.

Pitino last year used a late opening scholarship to land a grad transfer to fill an immediate need. Previously, he used a scholarship to land a sit-out transfer center who had demonstrated that he was an impact player, held a record for blocked shots, and would play two years. What actions in his past would make you suggest that Richard was receptive about giving a two-year scholarship to a one-year developmental player - especially now when this program has reached its highest stature of the Pitino era?

There's nothing that can be done about this and maybe this guy will be helpful in his one playing year, but this team could have made a better deal and I'm not going to sing the praises of this move. You keep throwing the word "preposterous" around when the available evidence points to my conclusion which is the typical style of argument for a dope.

Look at our center depth in 17-18. Now look at our center depth in 18-19. You're overthinking this.

I don't know if the kid can play but it makes perfect sense from a position, roster, and scholarship balance standpoint, and allows us to keep recruiting top 18 and 19 bigs hard.

Please stop with the "Richard did his dad a favor by taking this kid and opening up a spot at Louisville" BS! We didn't have to take Stockman. Rick could have sent him packing at any time like some good old spring "Creaning". Matz would've been buried on the bench at Louisville who some have the preseason #1 team if everyone returns. Plus they have a 7 foot 5 star and 6'10 4 star coming in as freshman. Sounds like huge minutes for Matz to me!!! If anything Rick did us a favor finding us an experienced big man to pair with Curry while Oturo and whatever other young big we bring in develops.

Agree this wasn't a 100% us doing a favor situation. Richard was just on the very very hot seat last year so I highly doubt he's going to risk any part of his team or job by taking someone to help his dad. This was mutual in that I think Matz will help us to a minor degree. Anyone expecting him to develop (already going to be year 4 in D1) into a stud is going to be disappointed, but I hope he can give us nice minutes while Oturu matures.

This isn't even remotely close to what we were talking about though. That's not what I'm arguing

Top Bottom