Louisville center Matz Stockman transferring to Minnesota

He needs to stop bringing the ball down and dribbling.

Yep, if we are talking about with his back to the basket or going laterally he's not good. Scary thing, he talks about taking more time deciding to make a move as how he's going to improve. But the few one dribble drives where he exploded to the basket and attacked on a dunk decisively were great!

I was just thinking, what would the NCAA think if Gaston now announced a transfer to Louisville? OK - not so much these two, but future exchanges. Filling needed holes on each other's rosters.

This deal sounds more to me like Minnesota was opening a hole in Louisville's roster so that hole could be filled by a scholarship to a more coveted unsigned prospect. Will we ever see reciprocity? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath.

This deal sounds more to me like Minnesota was opening a hole in Louisville's roster so that hole could be filled by a scholarship to a more coveted unsigned prospect. Will we ever see reciprocity? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath.

PST

Is Oturu a center for sure? Or does he potentially fill more of a PF role?

Breuer ... not true.

Ok, I was wrong. They did manage to find the one dunk in his whole career in that tape. I don't ever remember seeing him dunk during his time at the U. Sorry for the brain fart on spelling his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of ways to look at this based on the glass half...
He didn't get along w coaches.
He needs a new start, potential there but confidence lacking.
Another year of development would be great for him, the player. Everyone wins.
He's not good enough for Louisville, Ricks biggest recruiting screwup, really wanted Gaston.
Will never see playing time behind 2 really great players ahead of him.
The Pitinos have been colluding for years, this is the most obvious.
This is Richard's love child and its a way to bring them together.
He is 7' 2", on his way to 9' 6" without special treatment only at the UofM.

Breuer ... not true.

Ok, I was wrong. They did manage to find the one dunk in his whole career in that tape. I don't ever remember seeing him dunk during his time at the U. Sorry for the brain fart on spelling his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol I had season tickets to the T-Wolves and he dunked fairly often for them. But I'd wager I saw him dunk multiple times for the Gophers but you are correct, it wasn't something he did often or poetically. ha

He's not good enough for Louisville, Ricks biggest recruiting screwup, really wanted Gaston.

the Fårikål in the twin cities is much better than what can be had in Louisville

That's an awful lot of words just to be smug and dismissive. I think you could have accomplished more with less.

Well, what do you think of this arrangement? He didn't need to come here to get another year of development and play one year thereafter. He could have stayed at Louisville and done that.

Richard Pitino probably could have gotten a grad transfer or a better sit-out transfer big man (or at least an equivalent one who could have played two or more years). Would any other Big Ten coach who wasn't Rick Pitino's son have used his last scholarship for this player under these circumstances? I doubt it. It will be interesting to see how many scholarships Louisville has available and who takes them.

That's an awful lot of words just to be smug and dismissive. I think you could have accomplished more with less.

Well, what do you think of this arrangement? He didn't need to come here to get another year of development and play one year thereafter. He could have stayed at Louisville and done that.

Richard Pitino probably could have gotten a grad transfer or a better sit-out transfer big man (or at least an equivalent one who could have played two or more years). Would any other Big Ten coach who wasn't Rick Pitino's son have used his last scholarship for this player under these circumstances? I doubt it. It will be interesting to see how many scholarships Louisville has available and who takes them.

Big men often need the developmental time more than guards/forwards.

A month ago, Rick Pitino was thinking about redshirting him: "He deserves to play at least one year where he gets 28 minutes a game and if a freshman can come in next year, or Ray Spalding can bulk up and play a little backup five, we've talked about redshirting him, if not, he'll get a lot of minutes next year because Anas and him will be sharing time."

I like that it take some pressure off Oturu/Curry to man the post in 2018, it gives Reggie a better big to practice against, and it balances our classes so we don't have 6 recruits to sign for 2018 (I think).

Big men often need the developmental time more than guards/forwards.

A month ago, Rick Pitino was thinking about redshirting him: "He deserves to play at least one year where he gets 28 minutes a game and if a freshman can come in next year, or Ray Spalding can bulk up and play a little backup five, we've talked about redshirting him, if not, he'll get a lot of minutes next year because Anas and him will be sharing time."

I like that it take some pressure off Oturu/Curry to man the post in 2018, it gives Reggie a better big to practice against, and it balances our classes so we don't have 6 recruits to sign for 2018 (I think).
5 recruits -oturu is signed- now 4. The louisville forum is pretty complimentary of Matz - they have Mahmoud (who we recruited also) another 7 footer in front of him with a incoming freshman big man.
Give him another year of developing (like lynch ) and he's a heck of a player to practice against ( if you can get your shot off against a 7 footer..) everyone keeps forgetting Curry will be a junior the next year, Oturu should be big ten ready and Matz in the mix also sounds like good deal to me.

I like this move. We need another center who's ready to play in 2018 & with an extra year to practice, he should be a solid contributor. Curry's not really a 5 & Oturu is a bit of a project. Die Hard Gopher posted Stockman's per 40 min stats. If we can get half of that, 8pts-5rebs a game in 20 mins or so, this will have been a great move. It also allows us to recruit a highly ranked big man without having a log jam of centers ahead of him. It'd just be Oturu & the incoming recruit, with Curry able to fill in some minutes. We all would have liked a 5* impact player, but Stockman is reality & reality isn't too bad.

5 recruits -oturu is signed- now 4. The louisville forum is pretty complimentary of Matz - they have Mahmoud (who we recruited also) another 7 footer in front of him with a incoming freshman big man.
Give him another year of developing (like lynch ) and he's a heck of a player to practice against ( if you can get your shot off against a 7 footer..) everyone keeps forgetting Curry will be a junior next year, Oturu should be big ten ready and Matz in the mix also sounds like good deal to me.

Sophomore.

I like this move. We need another center who's ready to play in 2018 & with an extra year to practice, he should be a solid contributor. Curry's not really a 5 & Oturu is a bit of a project. Die Hard Gopher posted Stockman's per 40 min stats. If we can get half of that, 8pts-5rebs a game in 20 mins or so, this will have been a great move. It also allows us to recruit a highly ranked big man without having a log jam of centers ahead of him. It'd just be Oturu & the incoming recruit, with Curry able to fill in some minutes. We all would have liked a 5* impact player, but Stockman is reality & reality isn't too bad.

Here's to hoping that this big guy gives us the kind of year that Iverson gave Colorado St. (?) as a fifth year senior after struggling here in Minny.

Sophomore.

Sorry, the next year.(year after) curry bigger and stronger can and will play the five (he could still be growing also) Oturu is still growing the last I read and he might not be that much of a project with the summer competition he's playing against.

What is preposterous about the statement? Perhaps you've just led a very sheltered life.

What I get from reading your comment is essentially we took him so ol man Pitino could have an extra spot, which if that's what you meant is extremely preposterous. Now maybe I'm reading your comment wrong but that's how I took it

I'm with you. Not the sexiest of moves, but the logic is there in terms of roster building, position of needs, class balance, etc.

Before I get shredded, let's just qualify this post with everything herein is conjecture, and not based in any semblance of fact, simply my OPINION. Also, a wee bit of sarcasm exists in my writing.

I love the people comparing the Norwegian Gnawer to Gaston. The Gnawer was recruited by Arizona and Louisville, while Gas-daddy was recruited by Trump University and us (in Pitino's first, scrambled year). The Gnawer was stuck behind two high quality, may I say, ELITE centers in Mangok Mathiang and Anas Mahmoud who happened to average 39.5mpg between the two last year (for those attempting math at home, that is .5 minutes per game left for the center position, ooooooor I suppose Louisville might have played two centers frequently and/or subbed out with each other when one needed rest) *sarcasm alert with previous run-on sentence*. My point being, it wasn't like the guy had no skill, it was more like Louisville has more talent than us, which at this point shouldn't really be a surprise. Louisville is a blue blood afterall (I'm colorblind, I did get the color correct there, right???). Plus, who honestly thinks the coach who attends half of our games, and happens to be the father of our coach is going to f*!k us over? I picture my dad as a coach, and me as a coach (hell ya, I am finally making the big bucks), and I would like to think he wouldn't totally screw me over.

All this said, I like to love the move. Added big man depth once Reg is gone. Sure, I agree, I don't see the Norwegian Gnawer becoming an absolute star, but I think he will be a solid addition. Those saying start Curry at center, I tend to disagree with.... He is a good rebounder, and a good player as a freshman. Banking on him growing into a legit center seems quite risky tho... All in all, I count this as a win. Plus Pitino (our Pitino) seems to know how to recruit, so with the gnawler coming from L-ville, I am sure he had a lengthy scouting report to base this decision upon. I know I sound 100% crazy, but I trust Pitino more than Gopherhole at this point

I like the move! U don't want a true freshman center starting day one! U now have one senior and a freshman center. This is a good thing. Now recruit a 2019 freshman center!

Top Bottom