Maryland president: Would expect shutdown of UNC over academic allegations

Powerful statements from him, wow. I am glad someone from a high position like this took a public stance like this.

Go Gophers!!

Powerful statements from him, wow. I am glad someone from a high position like this took a public stance like this.

Go Gophers!!

I second that, Bleed, especially considering the stance UNC has taken to go on the offensive vs. the NCAA.

Love this quote from Roy Williams in the story....

"Were there some mistakes made? You're darned right there were. Were there some things I wish hadn't happened? You're darned right. But there were no allegations against men's basketball," Williams said. "Do I believe again that our institution, there were some mistakes, you're darned right I do. I'm very mad, sad, ticked off, any way you want to put all that terminology about it, embarrassed and all those things too."

Makes total sense, I mean you know those one and done guys are 100% committed to their school work for that one year they are in school. No way they would get any illegal help so they could focus on getting to the NBA, that education is by far their top priority :) He also says that the fact that the investigation is ongoing has been a punishment for the program.

I also like how the story said there is the shadow of an investigation hanging over the program. I watched a lot of their games in the tournament, was the investigation even mentioned more then in passing? I love that the current delay is supposedly because an attorney is trying to setup and interview with someone involved in the case because yeah it takes months to setup a time to conduct an interview.

Think it is great that a high profile person at another institution is taking a stand over this joke of an investigation.

"Were there some mistakes made? You're darned right there were. Were there some things I wish hadn't happened? You're darned right. But there were no allegations against men's basketball," Williams said. "Do I believe again that our institution, there were some mistakes, you're darned right I do. I'm very mad, sad, ticked off, any way you want to put all that terminology about it, embarrassed and all those things too."

Sounds like Gabby Johnson the town drunk in Blazin Saddles. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pus6XF_qh38

Were there no allegations against mens basketball? Serious question.

I believe no sport was left untarnished.

Were there no allegations against mens basketball? Serious question.

Basketball players enrolled in the classes that didn't exist. Somebody from the basketball department likely steered them to the classes or it was just common knowledge but basketball players took the sham classes. so, to that extent they were involved.

How can anyone doubt that darned Roy is darned mad and will clean up this darned mess.

Didn't former T-Wolf Rashad McCants admit to participating, and that ol' Roy knew about the fake classes ? And I believe McCants was at UNC during a national championship season.

Perhaps the person making the statements is fed up with the lack of a level playing field? And the inaction of the ncaa?

(tried to edit my previous post, couldn't for some reason) Here is a more detailed description:

A Carolina Shutdown?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/19131827/maryland-president-wallace-loh-says-expect-death-penalty-north-carolina-tar-heels-athletics

I'm sure that President Loh is only articulating what everyone other than UNC and Tarheels fans are thinking, but it doesn't surprise me he's getting some blowback coming his direction. I for one appreciate his bluntness and wish more university presidents would speak up regarding this topic. Hey, Carolina probably should get the death penalty, but as to whether they'll ever be properly punished, who knows.

You read Roy Williams comments and he sounds like Clem Haskins just before the hammer fell.

President Loh articulates what we all feel about UNC. Listen to the UNC President squirm to get out from the indictment.

The longer this goes on the more I'm convinced that UNC will either get a light slap on the wrist or not be punished at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

per the Louisville Courier Journal:

North Carolina’s pugnacious position has been that the NCAA lacks jurisdiction; that the university's fraudulent courses were available to all students and not athletes alone; and that Maryland’s Loh was out of line by speaking “with no direct knowledge of our case ... to offer such uninformed and highly speculative opinions.” Before his team cut down the nets at the Final Four, Williams insisted that his basketball program had done "nothing wrong," as if the players who had graduated with tainted degrees were rogue operatives and not his responsibility.

To call Carolina’s arguments claptrap would be too kind. The fake courses were disproportionately populated by athletes, steered to them by advisors more interested in preserving eligibility than education. That the fraud persisted for nearly two decades is, at best, proof of institutional indifference to a broad conspiracy contravening the core mission of higher education.

If this does not lead to the NCAA's death penalty, nothing should.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-10-times-worse-than-u-l-strippers/100319908/

Go Gophers!!

I am sure athletes for preferential registration, so they take most spots in the sham classes then the leftovers go to the rest of students.

I am sure athletes for preferential registration, so they take most spots in the sham classes then the leftovers go to the rest of students.

I'm surprised there aren't larger issues with NCAA accreditation here. You have thousands of students going around with degrees that weren't earned. That's an even bigger issue.

Does Roy own a farm in Kentucky? If not I suggest he purchase one right next to Clem.

The longer this goes on the more I'm convinced that UNC will either get a light slap on the wrist or not be punished at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Anybody know when a final decision is going to come down on this?

Roy is following the Bill Clinton school of handling a scandal. Deny, deny, deny, deny until it eventually blows over. It worked for Slick Willie, why not good ole' Roy and North Carolina?

Anybody know when a final decision is going to come down on this?

My guess it (surprisingly light sanctions) would come mid-summer to allow for minimal news coverage and WAY before basketball season starts.

Not that it is likely at all, but could the ACC levy some penalties as well or expel them? The bill in the NC house requiring NC State and NC to leave if the ACC boycott would come back can not sit well with the Conference.

Roy is following the Bill Clinton school of handling a scandal. Deny, deny, deny, deny until it eventually blows over. It worked for Slick Willie, why not good ole' Roy and North Carolina?

I believe Bill learned from his buddy Ronald during the Iran Contra hearings. How many times did Ronald say "I don't recall?"

I believe Bill learned from his buddy Ronald during the Iran Contra hearings. How many times did Ronald say "I don't recall?"

I think it has more of a "Fake News" tone to me.

Top Bottom