Goldy's Run

WilliamsArenaGuy

Reaction score
I ran the 5K with my son this morning. Fleck and a bunch of players ran and were handing out medals, water, and high-fives at the finish line. They were all wearing the same Row the Boat shirt and looked genuinely happy to be there. It was cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they run with Palm branches in order to fulfill the spiritual portion of the Fleck four step culture? [emoji41] [emoji267]

I ran the 10 miler and I had the worst cramps in both calf muscles. Since December, I quit running for a while and my conditioning is not there.

Fleck definitely did energize the crowd. There's no mistaking the atmosphere and the weather was great.

That was a nice touch players handling out medals and water bottles.

I have been critical of the RTB, and still am because it is really his thing, not the schools. That said, it was very cool to have all the players there this morning handing out medals and water. Very positive, and great PR for the program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope someone was there with a camera. Id like to check out some pictures to see what players were there and to gauge the energy. Im happy Coach Fleck is getting the kids more involved in the community.

I ran the 10 miler as well and the football team was heavily involved at the start and finish of the race. It was nice to see and it seemed to go over very well with the runners.

I hope someone was there with a camera. Id like to check out some pictures to see what players were there and to gauge the energy. Im happy Coach Fleck is getting the kids more involved in the community.

There's a number of them on Twitter. Just a sampling after a quick search:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

There's a number of them on Twitter. Just a sampling after a quick search:

Whats with the old broad wearing an Illini shirt at "GOLDY'S" Run? Looks like she just pulled yard duty!

Did they run with Palm branches in order to fulfill the spiritual portion of the Fleck four step culture? [emoji41] [emoji267]

If running w/ palms is the path that one or more players has chosen to display the spirituality that Fleck refers to (i.e. believe in something greater than themselves) than I think that is awesome. Great for them. I think a small group was wearing pink for shared love of a survivor.

I ran the 5K with my son this morning. Fleck and a bunch of players ran and were handing out medals, water, and high-fives at the finish line. They were all wearing the same Row the Boat shirt and looked genuinely happy to be there. It was cool.

I also ran the 5K yesterday. This was our 4th time out of the last 5 years doing Goldy's (last year being the exception) is this was by far the most involved Gopher Athletics seemed to be involved. As mentioned above, coaching staff and players running the race (I don't think last year's coach could've walked it...), the pep band tuba's playing, gopher softball and other athletes running the race, and gopher football players super involved at the start and finish line. It really was an A+ event! Fleck is doing a great job of getting his players out in the community.

I also ran the 5K yesterday. This was our 4th time out of the last 5 years doing Goldy's (last year being the exception) is this was by far the most involved Gopher Athletics seemed to be involved. As mentioned above, coaching staff and players running the race (I don't think last year's coach could've walked it...), the pep band tuba's playing, gopher softball and other athletes running the race, and gopher football players super involved at the start and finish line. It really was an A+ event! Fleck is doing a great job of getting his players out in the community.

They ran with their tubas on as well!

Just couldn't resist the dig, could you?

Unfortunately not this time ;)

I see. Well I personally knew someone who ran dozens of marathons at well over 400 lbs. US record holder for his weight class. Roughly the same body type. Started running in his mid-late 40s.

I ran the 10 miler and set a PR, I'd think the coaches pep talk motivated me to run that fast but I think it was the chick in volley ball style shorts that ran 2 seconds faster than me...

It was cool having the football players there cheering you on as you hit the tunnel then getting to chat with them after the finish line handing out metals and water.

I see. Well I personally knew someone who ran dozens of marathons at well over 400 lbs. US record holder for his weight class. Roughly the same body type. Started running in his mid-late 40s.

That's great for that individual. Statistics would suggest a majority of people with that body type could not run 3 miles, and if they could, would likely do serious damage to their joints (e.g. knees) over a long period of time.

That's great for that individual. Statistics would suggest a majority of people with that body type could not run 3 miles, and if they could, would likely do serious damage to their joints (e.g. knees) over a long period of time.

A majority of people not with that body type can't run three miles.

A majority of people not with that body type can't run three miles.

So, what exactly is your point here? Yes, I made an unnecessary dig at former HC Claeys. You respond with anecdotal evidence that one person you know can do it. I reply with statistics. You reply with this.

Yes, a large number of Americans can't get off the couch and go run three miles. The largest proportion of that number very likely leans toward people that are obese vs. those that are not.

Did anyone else notice they handed out St. Jude Medical water bottles after the race, but the race was a fundraiser for the UofM Children's Hospital?

I didn't think Shetland Ponies lived that long.

Did anyone else notice they handed out St. Jude Medical water bottles after the race, but the race was a fundraiser for the UofM Children's Hospital?

St. Jude Medical was the title sponsor of the event "Goldy's Run Presented by St. Jude"

So, what exactly is your point here? Yes, I made an unnecessary dig at former HC Claeys. You respond with anecdotal evidence that one person you know can do it. I reply with statistics. You reply with this.

Yes, a large number of Americans can't get off the couch and go run three miles. The largest proportion of that number very likely leans toward people that are obese vs. those that are not.

Point was made. Your comment was needlessly made.

St Jude Medical is a medical device company based out of Minnesota that was recently acquired by Abbott. The company has deep ties to the U of M. St Jude Medical does not have any affiliation to St Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. I assume that is where your question was from.

St Jude Medical is a medical device company based out of Minnesota that was recently acquired by Abbott. The company has deep ties to the U of M. St Jude Medical does not have any affiliation to St Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. I assume that is where your question was from.

Makes more sense now

Video from Facebook:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FGopherFootball%2Fvideos%2F1523789740967442%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

So, what exactly is your point here? Yes, I made an unnecessary dig at former HC Claeys. You respond with anecdotal evidence that one person you know can do it. <b>I reply with statistics. </b>You reply with this.

Saying "statistics would suggest" without mentioning any actual statistics is not "replying with statistics". Not even close.

Top Bottom