2017 Gophers NFL Draft Thread

Because he coached Corey Davis at Western Michigan for his career. And he was invited by him to be there. For Corey Davis he was his coach. The sign is paying the man his props. What's not to get?

Plus, they had at least 3 guys drafted and 2 signed as free agents I believe.

Although I wasn't really serious, you would think they'd just leave the Western Michigan part out of that big sign and just gone with P.J. Fleck. Corey Davis invited Fleck, yes. It's not like Fleck is representing Western Michigan, he was representing Corey Davis. Paying props doesn't have to include the Western Michigan part on the sign.

Kareem Hunt was a target but committed to Toledo the week of his scheduled visit I believe; had a great career and now a 3rd rounder. Tedric Thompson was another one Jerry went to visit and offered and another third rounder. What could have been.

Jalen went a little later than many thought but the important thing is he was drafted; he now has a great opportunity to prove himself in the pros and not many can say that. He's not built like a traditional CB and he's on the shorter side which absolutely drives NFL people nuts, even with great leaping ability. His coverage skills were spotty but I'm still a bit surprised at some of the people drafted ahead of him. The lower rounds are a crap shoot, for sure. Hopefully he's given an opportunity to return some kicks and makes a name for himself - that elite speed could be deadly with good blocking.

Was there any negative subliminal impact that the sex scandal had on the Gopher's selection or the lack of it in the draft?

I hope Myrick, Travis, and Pirsig make the roster. There has to be fire burning in some bellies. It is quite an accomplishment to be where they are today. There are only 253 players drafted this year. So, we have one drafted in the final round and two signing for tryouts.

Just think, in 2016 there are 1,083,308 or so high school football players. Of which, 73,660 players played NCAA college football. Of which, 21,188 played Div 1 football. Out of that, only 16,369 are draft eligible of which only 251 players where drafted.

Only 6.8% (73,660) of HS football players end up playing in college. Of that only 1.9% (21188) played Div 1 Football. Only 0.34% of college players end up getting drafted in the NFL. That is 0.02% of HS football players. That is one steep pyramid to climb!

So, even though Travis and Pirsig were not drafted this year, getting a shot at a roster spot is a huge accomplishment!

Here are the statistics from the NCAA: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/football

So "Big Money" Mitch is still looking? Say it aint so! Slick Rick seemed drunk at the wheel in this draft so maybe we'll sign him up.

Wow...from first round to free agent. Leidner Island might be losing some residents eh Gaardsie?

What happened?

Wasn't Leidner supposed to go in the first round?

FTR - McShay is the <b>only </b>person who ever said that. The only one. ML7 never did, coaches never did, GHers never did. One person. Not sure why folks seem to take such joy in the fact that it didn't happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of the problems with our society is the zero tolerance over punishment mindset that permeates our education system. Children being expelled for finger guns or lifetime punishment for a punch or lifetime ban from financial aid for getting busted with pot. These old testament death punishments are idiotic and fundamentally unfair.

He punched her in the face. He faced criminal charges. He faced civil charges. He will be branded with this forever. She forgave him. Maybe society can offer some grace and understanding and after 3 years, let the guy move on.

Doesn't mean you personally have to hire him or support him, but the idea that his action, where no one died, should result in some lifelong punishment is ludicrous.

Yeah our society's problem is too much discipline.

So Slick Rick is involved with the draft?[/U]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNTu8jdukA

I wish that he was our GM! Maybe then we would have hot model's pouring Christal on each other during timeouts. Maybe we could FINALLY stop playing that stupid "Dropkick Muphies" song all the time and do something of our own on 3rd down....for once. I think the Gophers play that damn song too!

If there's one staff that finds under the radar players and utilizes their strengths it's New England. If Travis has what it takes Belichick will be the best person to realize it.

I am also a Vikings fan.

The Vikings have had a really good relationship with the Gophers. I believe, at least in recent years, the Vikings play a large part in running/hosting the Gophers pro days. There are currently 3 Gophers on the Vikings roster: Marcus Sherels, Cedric Thompson, and Issac Fruechte.

The Vikings had two 5th round picks, one 6th round pick, and four 7th round picks.

With all those late round picks I wonder why the Vikes didn't draft Jalen Myrick and/or Damarius Travis. That really surprised me yesterday. I know Vikes need OL help but I wasn't as surprised they did not take Persig as some of the others on here were.

FTR - McShay is the <b>only </b>person who ever said that. The only one. ML7 never did, coaches never did, GHers never did. One person. Not sure why folks seem to take such joy in the fact that it didn't happen?

This.

I am also a Vikings fan.

The Vikings have had a really good relationship with the Gophers. I believe, at least in recent years, the Vikings play a large part in running/hosting the Gophers pro days. There are currently 3 Gophers on the Vikings roster: Marcus Sherels, Cedric Thompson, and Issac Fruechte.

The Vikings had two 5th round picks, one 6th round pick, and four 7th round picks.

With all those late round picks I wonder why the Vikes didn't draft Jalen Myrick and/or Damarius Travis. That really surprised me yesterday. I know Vikes need OL help but I wasn't as surprised they did not take Persig as some of the others on here were.

Yes.....the Vikings have been great about giving former Gophers a shot in the pros. Fruechte actually saw game time last year and is sitting at #5 on the depth chart.

I was also surprised that the Vikings passed on Myrick. He would have been a good replacement for Munnerlyn in the slot AND Patterson in the kickoff return role.

Travis could have been a late round flyer. Along with offensive line and wide receiver.....the safety spot opposite of Smith has been a problem. Sandejo is serviceable......and that's it. He's too bent on laying big hits and his coverage skills are lacking. Exum showed some flashes of potential in a fill-in role. Jayron Kearse has major upside due to his size.....but he plays more like a linebacker than a safety......imo. The great thing about Smith is that he can play either safety position. Gives the team a lot of versatility.....which makes me wonder why they've had so much difficulty pairing him with another good safety.

Would have liked to see Pirsig land with the Vikings as well. Good upside and in a position of great need.

Because there are a handful of posters here that were apparently personally and deeply offended that Mitch never became a superstar QB so they use every opportunity to bash him. Really was amazing how some latched onto a stupid prediction and acted like everyone was saying it.

Hank Ekpe has signed as an UDFA with the Bears. Best of luck to him.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom