2017 Gophers NFL Draft Thread

mkAz

Reaction score
I think we need a 2017 Gophers NFL Draft thread. I'll kick it off!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I still don't get the injury knock on Jonah. All these ginormous guys get nicked up and miss games. Played in 35 of 39 games in his last three years.

It will be an interesting draft for sure. Where will Myrick go? CBS moved him up to 2-3rd round while others still have him as late rounds. Will someone fall in love with him?

Will Pirsig, Leidner, Travis make it into the late rounds? Travis didn't have a good combine or look athletic but was a producer on the field. Has he been injured? Leidner has the measurables and arm strength but doesn't have great tape or stats. Pirsig battled injuries throughout his career.

Pirsig's best asset is timing a lot of people think that the draft is extremely thin for O-line.

I don't get the injury knock on Pirsig either, I just don't know if he ever played up to his impressive physical gifts. He's got the model build for a pro OT and maybe pro coaching could get him a place in the league.

I don't get the injury knock on Pirsig either, I just don't know if he ever played up to his impressive physical gifts. He's got the model build for a pro OT and maybe pro coaching could get him a place in the league.

Yeah, I'm not sure how or why he got that rap; I do seem to remember a lot of stories about playing through some stuff - ankle, elbow, shoulder over the years. I think he missed some games in 2014 and 2016 as a result and wasn't 100% part of the time. Maybe vs TCU in 2014. I can't recall precisely when or what.

In any event, IIRC he didn't have any major injuries and sounds like he's been working out for some teams; really hope he lands on a roster this fall.

I can see Myrick, and Pirsig getting drafted, maybe Leidner, but Leidner will definitely camp. Travis, Lynn and Woli will camp too, maybe the Ekpe's

With the draft rapidly approaching....we may as well bump this thread.

I wanted to note one thing that I've been thinking about. It's been common to hear that we are at some disadvantage due to being a pro-sports town. I'd like to throw out a counterpoint. The Vikings management has been very good about giving undrafted Gophers who looked like possible late-round picks a shot. In fact....they seem to get preferential treatment. Might as well mention Theilen.....who wasn't a Gopher.....but an in-state kid who developed into a pretty dang good NFL receiver. Anywho......do you think that recruits notice things like this? As a fan.....it makes me like the Vikings even more because they give our guys a shot.

With the draft rapidly approaching....we may as well bump this thread.

I wanted to note one thing that I've been thinking about. It's been common to hear that we are at some disadvantage due to being a pro-sports town. I'd like to throw out a counterpoint. The Vikings management has been very good about giving undrafted Gophers who looked like possible late-round picks a shot. In fact....they seem to get preferential treatment. Might as well mention Theilen.....who wasn't a Gopher.....but an in-state kid who developed into a pretty dang good NFL receiver. Anywho......do you think that recruits notice things like this? As a fan.....it makes me like the Vikings even more because they give our guys a shot.

No

The best thing about the draft so far has been the Rose Bowl highlights Stanford v. Iowa during the Solomon Thomas and McCaffrey picks.

Man, there are some interesting high picks at QB.

How does Bob Stoops not dismiss Joe Mixon after watching that videotape in 2014? Shameful all around.

Per Sportsfan24, Mixon was just defending himself.

If there's such thing as a non-negotiable, unforgivable "redline" that's it. Never justified to use that kind of force even if she punched him in the groin. Just walk away. Stoops...just terrible. I couldn't support a coach like that, period.

One thing I am learning more and more is that there are few absolutes in life. I have to trust Stoops here. If, and it is a big if here, the player stayed out of trouble otherwise and did whatever he needed to do to "make things right (assuming you can)", I'd be okay with Stoops giving him another chance. Regarding the NFL, he's already paying for this mistake. He is literally losing millions for a stupid action. Regarding the "victim" how do you deal with that? Does restorative justice work here?

Nobody of good character would do that. He was 18, not 4. I wouldn't want Mixon anywhere near my team, my family, my kids.

Does Myrick go early today? I got to believe someone will take him soon.

If there's such thing as a non-negotiable, unforgivable "redline" that's it. Never justified to use that kind of force even if she punched him in the groin. Just walk away. Stoops...just terrible. I couldn't support a coach like that, period.

Part of the problems with our society is the zero tolerance over punishment mindset that permeates our education system. Children being expelled for finger guns or lifetime punishment for a punch or lifetime ban from financial aid for getting busted with pot. These old testament death punishments are idiotic and fundamentally unfair.

He punched her in the face. He faced criminal charges. He faced civil charges. He will be branded with this forever. She forgave him. Maybe society can offer some grace and understanding and after 3 years, let the guy move on.

Doesn't mean you personally have to hire him or support him, but the idea that his action, where no one died, should result in some lifelong punishment is ludicrous.

I realize there are religions and cultures that still subjugate women and even encourage physical discipline (think fundamental Islam, fundamental christians). I don't embrace that diversity. Stoops gave him a redshirt year for facial fractures and a wired jaw. Simply not acceptable in our society. He has not paid a proper price.

Homer was talking about coaches becoming politicians instead of field generals and disciplinarians. I give you Bob Stoops. Check out his pathetic responses:

On July 19, 2016, in downtown Dallas at Big 12 football media days, I asked Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops the following question:

Mac Engel: “Coach, in light of all the increased public awareness on domestic violence, on-campus sexual assault and things like that, have you found it difficult to rationalize or justify the existence of Joe Mixon as a full scholarship athlete?”

His response to my question that day was: “You’re talking about a situation that occurred three summers ago, I believe, right? And Joe Mixon was punished. We’ve already been through all of this. He’s met high standards. Continues to have to meet high standards to remain a part of the football team, but he has done so all along. So everybody has different measures of what’s enough punishment and what is not

“In the end, we felt, myself along with our administration, that this was the right punishment and he’s met all the conditions we put in front of him and he was removed for a full season.”

Right away he’s annoyed because, as he said, the incident of Mixon hitting a girl was in 2014, and he addressed it. It’s done.

Predictably, Bob has changed his mind since the video of Mixon punching the young woman in the face was recently released after a long legal battle.

On Wednesday, Stoops addressed the video for the first time. He has had a change of heart since I asked him about it in July.

Stoops told reporters on Wednesday, “After two and a half years, it’s obvious (the suspension) wasn’t enough. But I feel like Joe has moved ahead in a very positive way. Two and a half years later, dismissal is
really the only thing that’s possible.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...-mac-blog/article122394659.html#storylink=cpy

Mods Please move this to a different thread. I've derailed this one - apologies.

Mods Please move this to a different thread. I've derailed this one - apologies.
Hey, what's an NFL Draft without lots of discussion about the character issues and criminality of the draftees? Sadly, it's par for the course. It tarnishes the many young men of good character that play college football.

Agree. I actually think that the second chance may have saved the young man. Not sure it was fair to the young lady, but...

Sure, saved him...it has nothing to do with him being the #1 RB prospect. Stoops is way ahead of the curve -just ignore the crime and all is well! He's a changed man! You're not one of the BLM release the criminals guys...are you?

Again, never acceptable.

FWIW Matt Miller's updated mock draft had Myrick and Travis going in the 6th round.

At first I thought you said Matt Millen's mock draft and about lost it thinking of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom