Ben Davis Commits

mkAz

Reaction score
2017 JUCO OT

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Very nice! So I think we have 8 TE/OL candidates coming now in the fall. (Only so many people on the planet this big and athletic to maybe become a tackle) Plus we have 6 DL coming. So our numbers at those positions will be more comfortable. Plus the PWO's. Welcome Ben Davis! 4 years to play 3 is great! Looks to have great feet and Ed likes him, so I think we are golden.

How do we feel about this guy? I'm not a film guru, they all look good in their tapes, I tend to trust the coaches. Do people think this guy will be a starter at some point or were we needing bodies and depth with this one?

How do we feel about this guy? I'm not a film guru, they all look good in their tapes, I tend to trust the coaches. Do people think this guy will be a starter at some point or were we needing bodies and depth with this one?
I'll trust the coaches on this one. I do wonder why he had no other offers though.

I'll trust the coaches. We needed the extra body and in that clip he seemed pretty athletic. So, we'll see and welcome aboard!

That said, I have a minor nit. I would have preferred a traditional JuCo OL. I would have preferred a guy who was a JR rather than a SO next season just to balance out the classes.

If he doesn't RS, he would be in the class with Connelly, Oseland and Dovich.
If he does RS, he'll be in the class with Olson, Schlueter, and whichever OL don't RS.

But I trust the coaches, they have experience recruiting under the radar guys at WMU and this kid might be just that.

Totally Making This Up

I'll trust the coaches on this one. I do wonder why he had no other offers though.

Is it possible that most schools were unaware he was only going to stay at the JC for one year? They viewed him more as a next year target? I know there was interest listed from other colleges but...
He moves his feet really well, if Ed thinks he'll contribute it seems like a good addition based on need. Obviously, there could be lots of reasons other than athletic ability why he had no offers...I'm curious as well.

My thoughts as well...must have been way under the radar to be just coming in now...almost stealth.

We've had good results from taking JUCO players that still have three years of eligibility. I suspect that he went to JUCO out of HS because he was under recruited and was willing to wait two years if necessary to get the right kind of offer. There also could have been a communication problem with his coaches with them no understanding that he wanted out after one. The coaches taking him is understandable given that they are practicing with five offensive lineman. They had been down to four.

He counts against the 2017 scholarship grid.

Does this mean Eric Abojei was not able to qualify?

He is listed at 275 as a freshman on the ARCC roster so reasonable to assume he's put some weight on and will continue to do so by this fall.

Happy for him and his parents - great opportunity and looks like a nice athletic player; looks really mobile which Fleck has stated is his ideal.

It seems like we may see glimpses of the Mason Era shifting athletic tackles.

I would not be surprised if the Ciarrocca/Smith system will be exciting to watch. Another thing. I get the impression that PJF wants more players to be a part of the game.

I am happy for players like Melvin Holland, Rashad Still, etc... that are finally getting the right kind of coaching. You don't want too many kids to sit in the sidelines their entire career when they can contribute. These guys will be utilized and developed to wherever their potential takes them.

I would not be surprised if the Ciarrocca/Smith system will be exciting to watch. Another thing. I get the impression that PJF wants more players to be a part of the game.

I am happy for players like Melvin Holland, Rashad Still, etc... that are finally getting the right kind of coaching. You don't want too many kids to sit in the sidelines their entire career when they can contribute. These guys will be utilized and developed to wherever their potential takes them.

Damn - and I was hoping for a boring offense........

Seriously - on the "right kind of coaching" comment - different kids respond to different styles. It's possible some players will be more productive under Fleck. It's also possible that certain players would have been more effective under the previous staff, or a different staff. It's not as simple as old coaches=bad; new coaches=good.

Seriously - on the "right kind of coaching" comment - different kids respond to different styles. It's possible some players will be more productive under Fleck. It's also possible that certain players would have been more effective under the previous staff, or a different staff. It's not as simple as old coaches=bad; new coaches=good.

I'm a big fan of PJF but I agree with your rationale 100%. I think we let go of a damn good coach and person in Claeys to go all in on a rising young coaching prospect. I agreed with the decision because it was a riskier move by the U and one we're not accustomed to seeing. My happiness with the move wasn't seeing Claeys go but rather seeing an exciting brand in PJ coming to the U. Time will tell if he's a better coach than Claeys but I like what I see of PJ's recruiting so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, and some players may have been more effective staying home.

Seriously, how can you pick on the right kind of coaching comment? The Kill era was noted for underperforming OL's and numerous injuries. Limey was not able to handle coaching both positions at this level, he said it himself! The new guy we brought in last year seemed to be an improvement, but we now have one of the best O line coaches in all of college football! It is very easy to assume that the OL coaching will be the best that we have had in many years.

Some of you have got to get over the fact that our old coaches are gone! And just because some of the changes may be for the better, it does not mean that the old ways were terrible, just that the new way may be better. If you replaced Wiggins with Jordan doesn't mean that Wiggins is no good, just that Jordan is better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously, how can you pick on the right kind of coaching comment? The Kill era was noted for underperforming OL's and numerous injuries. Limey was not able to handle coaching both positions at this level, he said it himself! The new guy we brought in last year seemed to be an improvement, but we now have one of the best O line coaches in all of college football! It is very easy to assume that the OL coaching will be the best that we have had in many years.

Some of you have got to get over the fact that our old coaches are gone! And just because some of the changes may be for the better, it does not mean that the old ways were terrible, just that the new way may be better. If you replaced Wiggins with Jordan doesn't mean that Wiggins is no good, just that Jordan is better.

And your responses are not really helping that...

Beginning to think you piss in your own cereal, just to be sure.

No one has said anything negative about the new staff.

I think some people just think it's silly to make that assumption at this point. We'll see. Limey seemed to do a nice job for Penn State last year. Miller seemed to improve some things around here. We'll see. I am optimistic about the future of our OL but I'm not naive enough to think it's a foregone conclusion that we've improved our coaching at every position.

That said, I'm over it. I am fully on board with who we have now. But I'm also not going to drink the Kool-Aid and pretend everything is perfect now and everything sucked before. We'll see. I hope you're right.

Results will speak loudly.

Welcome Ben! Looking forward to him grading the road!

I'd guess a little of both. I don't think they would take him if they didn't think he could help - but taking a JuCo with no other offers that didn't sign anywhere in Feb makes me think the depth concern is likely playing a role here as well. Doesn't matter at this point - let's hope he becomes a stud!

You're joking, right? It is the loudest PJF supporters on here that tell the others repeatedly how much and in what ways the previous staff was terrible. Plenty of folks on here have expressed support for both staffs. Way more anti-previous staff than anti-PJF talk on here. Way more.

love this offer and the Perham kid offer. Some of the initial activity led me to believe Fleck and staff were just star-chasing. This offer makes me think they are trusting their own film analysis work, their own sources' recommendations on a kid's talent and heart mix. His position coach was a Macalester guy.

love this offer and the Perham kid offer. Some of the initial activity led me to believe Fleck and staff were just star-chasing. This offer makes me think they are trusting their own film analysis work, their own sources' recommendations on a kid's talent and heart mix. His position coach was a Macalester guy.

So indirectly he's #OneOfUs

With the 4 to play 3, he could always redshirt if not deemed ready. Looks athletic and Warriner is a proven coach, so count me as optimistic.

You're joking, right? It is the loudest PJF supporters on here that tell the others repeatedly how much and in what ways the previous staff was terrible. Plenty of folks on here have expressed support for both staffs. Way more anti-previous staff than anti-PJF talk on here. Way more.

john-mccarthy-quote-its-just-a-pissing-contest-but-unfortunately-the.jpg

No one has said anything negative about the new staff.

I think some people just think it's silly to make that assumption at this point. We'll see. Limey seemed to do a nice job for Penn State last year. Miller seemed to improve some things around here. We'll see. I am optimistic about the future of our OL but I'm not naive enough to think it's a foregone conclusion that we've improved our coaching at every position.

That said, I'm over it. I am fully on board with who we have now. But I'm also not going to drink the Kool-Aid and pretend everything is perfect now and everything sucked before. We'll see. I hope you're right.

Your response is a another example of the hyperboles that have been thrown out. No one said that we will have improved coaching at every position nor that everything is perfect and everything sucked before! That is the whole point, someone makes a simple comment and other blow it way out of proportion. I just pointed out that the OL has been a weakness for years and now we have a very highly respected OL coach, the hope is that coaching will be improved.

Limey may have done a nice job here if he only coached the OL, but he didn't.

Your response is a another example of the hyperboles that have been thrown out. No one said that we will have improved coaching at every position nor that everything is perfect and everything sucked before! That is the whole point, someone makes a simple comment and other blow it way out of proportion. I just pointed out that the OL has been a weakness for years and now we have a very highly respected OL coach, the hope is that coaching will be improved.

Limey may have done a nice job here if he only coached the OL, but he didn't.

I see that you chose to ignore the part of your post that I responded to, I'll re-quote. You said, "it is very easy to assume that the OL coaching will be the best that we have had in many years." That is a different statement than "the hope is that coaching will be improved." It's quite the backpedal.

That said, I do agree that we have a highly respected coach and I hope (even have confidence) that it will improve the OL play. However, it's only easy to assume that this coach will have more success if you are drinking the Kool-Aid.

I know though, saying that I have confidence in a new coach but we'll see how it turns out is SO hyperbolic.

Does anyone really believe that our OL coach will even be at the U next year(2018) or the year after? Remember when he left ND, he was looking for a head job. Instead he ended up at Ohio State. Perhaps this explains why we haven't offered his son -can't think of any other reason. According to BTN, his son visited Iowa this past weekend. Can never have to many MLB.

Top Bottom