7-0 when we roll into Iowa City....

For many of us, it's not doubting him, it's simply realizing he has done nothing at a P5 program yet. I didn't like the way he ended up here, but that's not his fault. Also, can't stand how some folks seem to want to denigrate work of past staff, and lower expectations. As we have heard from new staff, there is a ton of talent they walked into.

I love the enthusiasm he brings to the program, love the visibility he is bringing to the program in multiple ways, such as having players at Goldy's Run. I hate #RTB because it's about him, not the school. Hope he is successful, and is here forever, just as I have hoped for each new coach we have.

Feel the same way about all of this. Also, don't like how when he does something there are some on here who think it is the greatest thing that has ever been done, when in reality he is doing exactly what other programs are doing.
Would love to see the Gophers at 7 and 0 heading down to Kinnick, if they aren't, it isn't the end of the world and I will still support the team. Mah!!!

Having had the chance to meet him, and see him interact with a recruit at a local high school, he is not uninteresting. Totally different than Fleck? Yes. Is/was Claeys great with the media? No. Soft-spoken or uninteresting? No. He was a really nice guy who this recruit really liked, and found very helpful as he talked with him about his future.

Would Claeys have made it as a head coach? I don't know? However, I really do appreciate the work he did in his 6 years here as a coach to put the program on a solid foundation. Now, I hope Fleck and staff take it to the next level.

I agree that a lot of Fleckies seem to feel the need to bash the prev. Regime, especially Claeys. I get an over weight, slow, soft spoken seemingly uninteresting guy isn't as exciting as Fleck, but he did plenty for this program.

I don't think I've ever said anything trashing Claeys and/or Kill as a football coach. I just believe that to be a P5 football coach in this era, it has to be about more than football. I never got the sense that was going to happen under Claeys.

Again- I keep forgetting GH is full of 80 year olds. I didn't mean haters as in people who literally hate PJ or as in the dictionary definition of hate. Just meant people who aren't crazy about him now will not be so skeptical if we start 7-0. And most will profess to never having doubted him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah- we're all 80 year olds. And the other half are pre-pubescent internet toughguys[emoji6].

I was a Kill/Claeys supporter who is now a Fleck supporter. I am a Gopher fan regardless of coach. 7-0 would be awesome! I don't know why folks want to be skeptical and wait before jumping on the bandwagon. I am a Gopher fan and I am all in rowing the boat just like my chili was hot and Jerrysota was my favorite t-shirt! Ski-U-Mah!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I don't think I've ever said anything trashing Claeys and/or Kill as a football coach. I just believe that to be a P5 football coach in this era, it has to be about more than football. I never got the sense that was going to happen under Claeys.

Yes, you were very complimentary of Claeys in a different thread when you said something along the lines of "9 wins, we can't possibly do any better than that!"

What do Ferentz, Chryst, Dantonio, Meyer, hell even Saban do more than football?

Oops! Fixed it

What do Ferentz, Christ, Dantonio, Meyer, hell even Saban do more than football?

oh, i don't know, turn water into wine! Walk on water! rise from the dead!!!

i thought this was the beginning of a joke at first

What do Ferentz, Chryst, Dantonio, Meyer, hell even Saban do more than football?

Oops! Fixed it

Exactly. Add Mike Riley. There's this unsupported assumption that you have to be a big personality and super media savvy to run a successful P5 football program. It's great the attention locally and nationally hiring Fleck has brought, but it does not win games.

Having had the chance to meet him, and see him interact with a recruit at a local high school, he is not uninteresting. Totally different than Fleck? Yes. Is/was Claeys great with the media? No. Soft-spoken or uninteresting? No. He was a really nice guy who this recruit really liked, and found very helpful as he talked with him about his future.

Would Claeys have made it as a head coach? I don't know? However, I really do appreciate the work he did in his 6 years here as a coach to put the program on a solid foundation. Now, I hope Fleck and staff take it to the next level.

Never met Claeys but I'm sure he's not uninteresting, I was talking about impressions from a far.

Exactly. Add Mike Riley. There's this unsupported assumption that you have to be a big personality and super media savvy to run a successful P5 football program. It's great the attention locally and nationally hiring Fleck has brought, but it does not win games.

It is merely a different approach to bring success to the program. We'll see if this produces results this season and the next season.

Regardless of the results, the one thing I like is the transparency of the process. Fleck communicates the steps he wants to take and the reasons to take those steps. Then he follows up and describes the progress made on taking those steps and what the next steps are. The process is iterative. That sort of communication has been lacking in the past. Again, we'll see if it produces actual results on the field.

It is merely a different approach to bring success to the program. We'll see if this produces results this season and the next season.

Regardless of the results, the one thing I like is the transparency of the process. Fleck communicates the steps he wants to take and the reasons to take those steps. Then he follows up and describes the progress made on taking those steps and what the next steps are. The process is iterative. That sort of communication has been lacking in the past. Again, we'll see if it produces actual results on the field.

I expect Fleck to succeed. I thought Kill did the same as well...laid things out pretty clearly when he started as well. The Brick by Brick campaign was a continuation of it.

When is the last time a Gopher team started 7-0?

No, you may not need the personality to run a P5 program, but you do if you want to grow fan and booster support. Of course it will not work if he doesn't win, but when he wins it will lift us to a whole new level. We can't compete if we continue to get the same lack luster support we got last year for a 9 win season.

When is the last time we started 7-0?

Why?
1. 5 of the first 7 games are home
2. The two road games, Oregon State and Purdue. Not exactly " Elite "
3. Toughest of the first 7 at home. MSU. They're a mess
4. True freshmen.At least 4 -5 will be in the two deep. Omar Douglas Jr. Will be another Winfield.
5. The offense. More deversified. You'll see more slants. Throws to the RB. Jail break and bubble screens. You'll see wider OL splits to give the backs more vision.
6. Defense. More rushing off the the edge. Press coverage by the corners. More looping in the DL instead of straight bull rushes.
7. Whoever starts at QB won't be limited like the previous staff did with Mitch.
8. Change in culture with both players and fans.
9. Less injuries in practice. We've already seen the coaches preaching technique instead of head butting.
10. It's our time. We've young, vibrant coaches in football and basketball that will make it happen.
You can already feel the uneasiness from our neighbors to the East and South as reported by some of our posters. Row the Boat........ SKI-U-MAH......

1. I don't think away at Oregon State will be super easy, they looked way better as the year went on after our game last year... and we beat them by all of 7 last year.

2. MSU was a perennial contender for a bit, we have not been... one bad year and I wouldn't write them off as a gimmie for us... wtf?

Some of the other points I don't think are even positives.

I hope we go undefeated all year but I'm not sure that list is a good reason for it...

Would this be 7-0 or 7*-0?

No, you may not need the personality to run a P5 program, but you do if you want to grow fan and booster support. Of course it will not work if he doesn't win, but when he wins it will lift us to a whole new level. We can't compete if we continue to get the same lack luster support we got last year for a 9 win season.

Barry across the border, was not a "personality" and he grew the fan base and booster support, because he put up W's. Dantonio at MSU is not a "personality" and he grew the fan base and booster support, because he put up W's.
The "personality" only works initially, but then you need to be winning to actually get a bigger fan base and booster support.

Barry across the border, was not a "personality" and he grew the fan base and booster support, because he put up W's. Dantonio at MSU is not a "personality" and he grew the fan base and booster support, because he put up W's.
The "personality" only works initially, but then you need to be winning to actually get a bigger fan base and booster support.

I disagree, both Barry and Mark Dantonio have their own personality thing going on.

I really like Dantonio's thing:

1960: finished 8-2
also happened in 1941, 1940, 1935, 1934, 1905, 1904, 1903, and 1896

1896 we played two high school teams, and some hodge podge "Ex-Collegiates" team.... The then we lost to Michigan and Wisconsin (giving up an unthinkable 6 points in each game).

That's pretty much the equivalent of last year's schedule!

That would be a 7*-0 start. :p

My reply was in reference to Slab of Bacon detailing the 1896 season. Try to keep up JB
Why are you so hung up on that one game? Did you lose a ton of money on some bet you put down or something? Let it go

Les Miles. Gary Patterson. Jim Tressel. Plenty of examples. Wins trump personality and grow the fan base and program interest. No question adding personality would make it more entertaining. I'll take either as long as the wins happen.

Les Miles. Gary Patterson. Jim Tressel. Plenty of examples. Wins trump personality and grow the fan base and program interest. No question adding personality would make it more entertaining. I'll take either as long as the wins happen.

I'm not sure how you're defining whether someone has a personality, but I'm pretty sure Les Miles has one.

Top Bottom