7-0 when we roll into Iowa City....

Reaction score
Why?
1. 5 of the first 7 games are home
2. The two road games, Oregon State and Purdue. Not exactly " Elite "
3. Toughest of the first 7 at home. MSU. They're a mess
4. True freshmen.At least 4 -5 will be in the two deep. Omar Douglas Jr. Will be another Winfield.
5. The offense. More deversified. You'll see more slants. Throws to the RB. Jail break and bubble screens. You'll see wider OL splits to give the backs more vision.
6. Defense. More rushing off the the edge. Press coverage by the corners. More looping in the DL instead of straight bull rushes.
7. Whoever starts at QB won't be limited like the previous staff did with Mitch.
8. Change in culture with both players and fans.
9. Less injuries in practice. We've already seen the coaches preaching technique instead of head butting.
10. It's our time. We've young, vibrant coaches in football and basketball that will make it happen.
You can already feel the uneasiness from our neighbors to the East and South as reported by some of our posters. Row the Boat........ SKI-U-MAH......

Love the positivity. Win the 3 non-cons, get some young guys early experience, and go from there!

Why?
4. True freshmen.At least 4 -5 will be in the two deep. Omar Douglas Jr. Will be another Winfield.
5. The offense. More deversified. You'll see more slants. Throws to the RB. Jail break and bubble screens. You'll see wider OL splits to give the backs more vision.
6. Defense. More rushing off the the edge. Press coverage by the corners. More looping in the DL instead of straight bull rushes.
7. Whoever starts at QB won't be limited like the previous staff did with Mitch.
9. Less injuries in practice. We've already seen the coaches preaching technique instead of head butting.
10. It's our time. We've young, vibrant coaches in football and basketball that will make it happen.
You can already feel the uneasiness from our neighbors to the East and South as reported by some of our posters. Row the Boat........ SKI-U-MAH......

I agree it's entirely possible, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We have some work to do before we talk about 7-0. But man it sure would be great! Can u imagine the size of the bandwagon and the PJ haters backtracking so fast they look like Michael Jackson doing the moon walk! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?

I love #9. So much of our team suffered from "friendly fire" the past three years. Ski-U-Mah & RTB!

I agree it's entirely possible, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We have some work to do before we talk about 7-0. But man it sure would be great! Can u imagine the size of the bandwagon and the PJ haters backtracking so fast they look like Michael Jackson doing the moon walk! [emoji23]

Again- who has stated anything close to hate for PJ?

You don't think there any Fleck haters on GH?

Not really- think are folks who admit they don't like his style (which isn't surprising for MN!) and a significant number who disliked the process of how PJ got here- but nobody in their right mind can blame PJ for the handling of the situation. Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic of what he can accomplish in regards to his ability to recruit and the acumen of his asst coaches.

I really think that Oregon St game will be very tough. I think MN will be the underdog. Don't know why people are over looking the fact that we struggled against them last year at home and that they will be improved.

Wait, what? Thought having higher expectations for Fleck this year meant you are a PJ hater. So confusing. I've thought since the end of the 2016 regular season that Gophs have a legit chance of being 6-1 going into Iowa.

I really think that Oregon St game will be very tough. I think MN will be the underdog. Don't know why people are over looking the fact that we struggled against them last year at home and that they will be improved.

So Beavers can improve but Gophs can't?

It's possible, but I'm not expecting it and won't be calling for Fleck's firing if they're not 7-0 at that point.

It's possible, but I'm not expecting it and won't be calling for Fleck's firing if they're not 7-0 at that point.

Yep. Its possible but not expecting it. Good point. That sums up Gopher football for decades.

So why should the 2017 season be any different?

Oh, I forgot. PJ has arrived.

Like any other newbie HC, Fleck has a huge task to get the Gophers where they will win often and win big.

In the meantime, its one game and one season at a time.

Certainly is possible and why stop there, why not 8-0 heading to the Big House or 11-0 playing for the Axe!!

Better offensive play, along with the same or better defensive play can make it happen.
Need to stay relatively healthy for it all to come together.

Ski-U-Mah!!

Again- who has stated anything close to hate for PJ?

Again- I keep forgetting GH is full of 80 year olds. I didn't mean haters as in people who literally hate PJ or as in the dictionary definition of hate. Just meant people who aren't crazy about him now will not be so skeptical if we start 7-0. And most will profess to never having doubted him.

Just meant people who aren't crazy about him now will not be so skeptical if we start 7-0. And most will profess to never having doubted him.

I am waiting for this too but I won't care or hold it against them. It's just life and if we are on a roll it will not matter as we will need every fan we can get.

I agree. Gary Andersen is a very good coach in his 3rd year and his recruiting has also been solid.

Michigan St is also going to be significantly improved.

Again- I keep forgetting GH is full of 80 year olds. I didn't mean haters as in people who literally hate PJ or as in the dictionary definition of hate. Just meant people who aren't crazy about him now will not be so skeptical if we start 7-0. And most will profess to never having doubted him.

Not crazy about him = hate. Only in the era of keyboard cowboys. Back on topic... I think PJF can realistically have us at 7-0. The buzz around the program would be incredible.

Not crazy about him = hate. Only in the era of keyboard cowboys. Back on topic... I think PJF can realistically have us at 7-0. The buzz around the program would be incredible.

You, Sir, are a hater [emoji23] I'm totally kidding. I'm not a "keyboard cowboy" I'm just younger. The term means something different to me. Ok, let's all agree we'd love to be 7-0 and you're Gona have Alota new Gopher fans if that's the case.

You, Sir, are a hater [emoji23] I'm totally kidding. I'm not a "keyboard cowboy" I'm just younger. The term means something different to me. Ok, let's all agree we'd love to be 7-0 and you're Gona have Alota new Gopher fans if that's the case.

That is something we can both agree on!

Who knows?

How we play matters to me - remember all the false starts and general sloppiness early on last year? Snaps over Mitch's head, muffed punts? It was close to a farce but we still pulled out those non-con victories. It's reasonable to expect a whole lot of sloppiness early on but unless we suffer a rash of injuries I fully expect a 7-0 start. OSU might be laying in wait but they seem unsettled at QB and if we have enough functional DBs our defense is well able to stop spread attacks particularly when the QB is not a dynamic runner. Is there an advance scouting report on OSU? Mobile QB?

Who knows?

How we play matters to me - remember all the false starts and general sloppiness early on last year? Snaps over Mitch's head, muffed punts? It was close to a farce but we still pulled out those non-con victories. It's reasonable to expect a whole lot of sloppiness early on but unless we suffer a rash of injuries I fully expect a 7-0 start. OSU might be laying in wait but they seem unsettled at QB and if we have enough functional DBs our defense is well able to stop spread attacks particularly when the QB is not a dynamic runner. Is there an advance scouting report on OSU? Mobile QB?

Based on his stats, I would say not mobile at all.

Talked to some OSU people out here in Arizona they said Anderson had to bring in a lot of JC players in the first couple of classes because of players leaving, a couple of career ending injuries, etc. Some of the JC players have been a bust but they think they will be improved just because players are now use to the coaches philosophies. The one fan said: " We'll score some points, but I don't think we can stop anyone"

To follow up on Josh on "not expecting it." We are going into a season with: New coaching staff; new schemes on offense and defense; new starting QB; replacing several starters on OL; replacing most productive WR; replacing several starters at DB; with questions about depth at OL.

Is that enough questions for you?

Now- I believe there is talent on this roster. I believe there is enough talent on this roster to win games - IF they stay healthy. But, given all the change in the program, I am not "expecting" the team to come flying out of the gate.

I think the opposite is much more likely - I would not be surprised to see the team struggle out of the gate as they get used to all of the changes, and maybe lose a couple games early - BUT I also think the team will improve as the season goes on, and I hope/expect to see them playing their best FB by the end of the season.

What that amounts to for a win and loss record, I have no clue. I could see a scenario where they go 5-7 or 6-6 (lots of injuries, etc) - AND I could see a scenario where everything goes right and they go 8-4 or 9-3.

The point is - I can't see into the future. (If I could, I would have a LOT more money!!) In my book, this is the ultimate "take it one game at a time" season. Each week will be its own storyline. How that storyline unfolds is yet to be determined.

Yes, but every team has a number of questions every year. Biggest question marks are QB and defensive changes IMO. Do we have a QB that can grasp the reads and make the throws under duress? I don't know. Then again, we had very poor production for the QB position last year. Which leads to my second question - is Robb going to reinvent the wheel or do more of an evolution with the coverages and alignments on defense. When Wilcox took over for Aranda he had the good sense to not blow up an excellent scheme. We have enough talent on defense to keep us in games, and even win games IMO. Talented freshman coming in will get opportunity in the secondary. Turnovers will be key (duh).

For many of us, it's not doubting him, it's simply realizing he has done nothing at a P5 program yet. I didn't like the way he ended up here, but that's not his fault. Also, can't stand how some folks seem to want to denigrate work of past staff, and lower expectations. As we have heard from new staff, there is a ton of talent they walked into.

I love the enthusiasm he brings to the program, love the visibility he is bringing to the program in multiple ways, such as having players at Goldy's Run. I hate #RTB because it's about him, not the school. Hope he is successful, and is here forever, just as I have hoped for each new coach we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To follow up on Josh on "not expecting it." We are going into a season with: New coaching staff; new schemes on offense and defense; new starting QB; replacing several starters on OL; replacing most productive WR; replacing several starters at DB; with questions about depth at OL.

Is that enough questions for you?

Now- I believe there is talent on this roster. I believe there is enough talent on this roster to win games - IF they stay healthy. But, given all the change in the program, I am not "expecting" the team to come flying out of the gate.

I think the opposite is much more likely - I would not be surprised to see the team struggle out of the gate as they get used to all of the changes, and maybe lose a couple games early - BUT I also think the team will improve as the season goes on, and I hope/expect to see them playing their best FB by the end of the season.

What that amounts to for a win and loss record, I have no clue. I could see a scenario where they go 5-7 or 6-6 (lots of injuries, etc) - AND I could see a scenario where everything goes right and they go 8-4 or 9-3.

The point is - I can't see into the future. (If I could, I would have a LOT more money!!) In my book, this is the ultimate "take it one game at a time" season. Each week will be its own storyline. How that storyline unfolds is yet to be determined.

I don't care if they are 0-7 going into Iowa as long as they beat them, and WI too. That would equal a successful season, even if a bowl game wasn't in the cards.

I don't care if they are 0-7 going into Iowa as long as they beat them, and WI too. That would equal a successful season, even if a bowl game wasn't in the cards.
Nope.
I would enjoy beating Iowa and Wisconsin, but I will take 7-0 any day over 0-7.

For many of us, it's not doubting him, it's simply realizing he has done nothing at a P5 program yet. I didn't like the way he ended up here, but that's not his fault. Also, can't stand how some folks seem to want to denigrate work of past staff, and lower expectations. As we have heard from new staff, there is a ton of talent they walked into.

I love the enthusiasm he brings to the program, love the visibility he is bringing to the program in multiple ways, such as having players at Goldy's Run. I hate #RTB because it's about him, not the school. Hope he is successful, and is here forever, just as I have hoped for each new coach we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that a lot of Fleckies seem to feel the need to bash the prev. Regime, especially Claeys. I get an over weight, slow, soft spoken seemingly uninteresting guy isn't as exciting as Fleck, but he did plenty for this program.

Top Bottom