Isaiah Washington in the Capital Classic

I think some people are being a little hard on the Beave, and it may be that they're trying not to have too high of expectations. The truth is that this guy is the caliber of recruit of a Ariel McDonald, Voshon Lenard or Andre Hollins, which means that he'll probably be a key contributor from the get go. He won't have the same opportunity as, say, Lenard because of the two upperclassmen guards, but you can bet he'll play. He can do some things that other guys can't do, which is what you want. Will he pull that no-look behind the head reverse runner in a game? He will if there's 0.8 seconds left and it's our only chance.

This thread keeps getting better. So many scorching hot takes in here
lol
Jammer, I'll buy you a beer if that's how it turns out. An expensive craft beer. Maybe two.

From his interview:
What was your impression of Minnesota when you came for your official visit last weekend?

Washington: It felt like the team was one big family. I had a good feeling in my gut as soon as I got there. My mom has always told me to go with my gut feeling. I also really liked the coaches, just the way they push their players and definitely stress academics.

I believe I mentioned something about him being underrated in the national rankings.. and some people kind of scoffed at it.. with his skill set he seems to be better than the 64th best player in the country iv watched some guys tape who are ranked higher than him he could easily be in the top 40..

Do you also rank movies by how good their trailers are? I hope you're right, but that's essentially what you're doing here.

^

He also mentioned how important academics are to him in one of his videos. I don't recall the context or which video, but someone clearly made the assumption that academics couldn't possibly be important to an inner city kid who works as hard on his game as he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol
Jammer, I'll buy you a beer if that's how it turns out. An expensive craft beer. Maybe two.

From his interview:

If he is a one and done, it means he has had an off the charts freshman year, which would likely mean an off the charts season for the Gophers. I don't expect him to be one and done, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it happened. I would even split the cost of the expensive beer Moonlight is providing Jammer. And I'm pretty cheap.

If he is a one and done, it means he has had an off the charts freshman year, which would likely mean an off the charts season for the Gophers. I don't expect him to be one and done, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it happened. I would even split the cost of the expensive beer Moonlight is providing Jammer. And I'm pretty cheap.
If that happens (and I think you're right in that is what would create a one-and-done for a 6' guard) then I'd spring for champagne for us (Jammer would still get beer)!

^

He also mentioned how important academics are to him in one of his videos. I don't recall the context or which video, but someone clearly made the assumption that academics couldn't possibly be important to an inner city kid who works as hard on his game as he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never saw a reference to academics in his videos. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

The guy definitely has some globetrotter in him, but you have to take those all star game highlight videos with a grain of salt. If you watch the highlights from his real high school games, he is very focused and doesn't play nearly as much streetball.

I think he will be a good backup his freshmen year, then develop into a good starting big10 point guard by his junior year. No possible way is he a 1 and done player.

I have watched Jelly in person 9 or 10 times. The kid is the real deal.

Trust me, I'm not doubting that. I'm super excited about Washington and assume he will be a very good player for us. My comment you responded to had nothing to do with him. I just never understand people who disagree with rankings when they haven't watched that particular player play in person. It's no different than disagreeing with a movie critic's opinion on a movie when you have only seen the trailer.

I never saw a reference to academics in his videos. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

Neither did I but let's hope acedemics are important to him. The last thing we'd want to see is that he becomes academically ineligible.

If that happens (and I think you're right in that is what would create a one-and-done for a 6' guard) then I'd spring for champagne for us (Jammer would still get beer)!

I'm changing the terms of the deal, moon. I don't drink much beer. It will have to be a glass of fine Tennessee whiskey. :)

The guy definitely has some globetrotter in him, but you have to take those all star game highlight videos with a grain of salt. If you watch the highlights from his real high school games, he is very focused and doesn't play nearly as much streetball.

I think he will be a good backup his freshmen year, then develop into a good starting big10 point guard by his junior year. No possible way is he a 1 and done player.

Personally I hope you are right on the one hand and hope we have him for multiple years, but not sure how anyone can say that for certain. Some point to his height but if a kid is good enough he can make the NBA at 6'1" (Tyus for a quick example). Honestly I am not worried about it because if he turns out to be a one and done it means he was awesome and given the rest of the roster already in place we probably had an amazing season.

So from this thread I have learned...
Inner City kids can't be focused on academics
Jelly is a one and done and possibly the greatest recruit of all time.
Jelly is massively underrated despite being in the top 100 in the nation
Some people like beer. Others like whiskey. One person wanted champagne

So from this thread I have learned...
Inner City kids can't be focused on academics
Jelly is a one and done and possibly the greatest recruit of all time.
Jelly is massively underrated despite being in the top 100 in the nation
Some people like beer. Others like whiskey. One person wanted champagne

So ... actually quite informative compared to some of the other threads.

I'm changing the terms of the deal, moon. I don't drink much beer. It will have to be a glass of fine Tennessee whiskey. :)
As long as it's not Kentucky whiskey, I'm good.
Things have to be looking up if we're arguing about our preferred drinks.
Since Holy Man is in on this, perhaps he has inside info on some water-to-wine options

Isaiah

There has been rarely few one and done players 6-1 and under. Bledsoe was 6-1 205.

Washington will be one of the quicker players in the big ten. Big Ten players 6-1 and under who were pretty decent:
Yogi, Trey B, Jordan Taylor, Appling.

I see Washington getting 20+ min a game at the point off the bench mostly. Mason sliding to the 2 in lots of those minutes.

Stat line something like: 9ppg, 2rpg, 3.5 ass, 1.5 stls.

I still think he starts at some point next season with Mason sliding over to the 2 and Mcbrayer coming of the bench for instant offense.

I still think he starts at some point next season with Mason sliding over to the 2 and Mcbrayer coming of the bench for instant offense.

Unlikely he will start. Will get backup PG minutes with Mason occasionally playing the 2. Only problem is thats a very small lineup defensively.

There has been rarely few one and done players 6-1 and under. Bledsoe was 6-1 205.

Washington will be one of the quicker players in the big ten. Big Ten players 6-1 and under who were pretty decent:

I see Washington getting 20+ min a game at the point off the bench mostly. Mason sliding to the 2 in lots of those minutes.

Personally, I think he gets more ass than that. Lets just hope he doesn't videotape it.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jamir Harris was on the opposing team and had a good outing with 20 points as well, 15 in the first half.

<iframe src="//thecube.com/embed/726194" width="640" height="460" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen></iframe><div><a style="font-size:11px" href="http://thecube.com">Share Events on The Cube</a></div>

Couple of isiahs highlights from Jordan brand classic on you tube - 15 assists!and lots of jelly.

Sounds right.

Couple of isiahs highlights from Jordan brand classic on you tube - 15 assists!and lots of jelly.

Lol. The final score was 170-162. I'm not sure you can take anything meaningful from these games.

Harris 4-12 from 3.

Top Bottom