UMN Students: P.J. Fleck Invites YOU to Football Practice on April 11!

Taji34

Reaction score

Wish I could go, since I'm still a student, but I have a lab to TA during that time so I can't. If you know any students who would be interested make sure to let them know!

Is this only open to students?

I've been to the past 2 open practices and there were very few people who looked like students, although I expect more to come if they are specifically targeting students. Hopefully it will be a bit easier to see if it is less crowded.

Is this only open to students?

I've been to the past 2 open practices and there were very few people who looked like students, although I expect more to come if they are specifically targeting students. Hopefully it will be a bit easier to see if it is less crowded.

It is students only

Look for Fleck to teach you how to RTB Dance.

If you'd like to practice beforehand, you can YouTube it.

It is classic, so to speak.

Uhh...hmmm. We have a very serious student population. That may be a student conduct code violation. Need to get consent from seat mate first.

Look for Fleck to teach you how to RTB Dance.

If you'd like to practice beforehand, you can YouTube it.

It is classic, so to speak.

Row the boat stuff is so awful, Fleck should've left it at WMU.

Nice move by Fleck...hope the turnout is big. Love to see that student section rocking every game this Fall.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aT9mU6x2r9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

C'mon Pompous - got to post the YouTube of Fleck DOING the RTB dance.

That's the Money Shot.

Ok, I found this one and I have to say I'm impressed

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FzaSIp0zc60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Found another one, still not RTB but nice moves nonetheless - two feet down!

I cannot find PJ doing the RTB dance - someone help me out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nmfzV4uh1wM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one is fantastic - gotta love it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wsp1Sl_b7aU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looked like about 250 students were there. Not as much as the other 2 but not bad considering it was only open to students. They gave out shirts to the first 100 which were gone before practice even started.

Fleck came around and talked to some people in the crowd before practice. Probably only about 50 people but it seemed like everyone loved to talk to him.

They did one drill where the offense and defense line up on opposite hashes. They pull 1 player from each side out at a time and have them try to push each over the line. After each round, the winning team surrounds their player and congratulates them. Fleck told the students to pick a side and start cheering. On the way in "if my players need to hustle on the field, you guys need to hustle on the field as well". A few Gopher basketball players were there and helped Fleck choose the matchups.

Towards the end of practice, Fleck yells out "Give me 1 student on the field who is really confident". Someone runs out there and Fleck sends him to the 10 yard line and tells him if he catches a punt from Santoso, the team doesn't have to do conditioning. He catches the first one so they ended practice there, after some celebration from the team.

I wish the other open practices were like that. No better way to get people more involved in the program than pulling them on the field. He's a great salesman for the program. Makes me think the spring game will be much more exciting than in previous years.

Towards the end of practice, Fleck yells out "Give me 1 student on the field who is really confident". Someone runs out there and Fleck sends him to the 10 yard line and tells him if he catches a punt from Santoso, the team doesn't have to do conditioning. He catches the first one so they ended practice there, after some celebration from the team.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Loved this. I've been going to the open practices for the past couple years and this is the first that I can remember that was just open to students and that the students actually got up close with the practice. The turnout wasn't as large as the one that was open to the entire public, but still not a bad turnout at all. Really enjoyed Fleck coming around and shaking hands with us beforehand and even took pictures with some of us. He seemed very friendly and genuinely excited for us to be there.

Very nice. Loved the student taking it to the house. Looked like some pretty good wheels...

Cool they are reaching out to students specifically. Man do we need that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. Loved the student taking it to the house. Looked like some pretty good wheels...

Maybe they should have handed him a tackling dummy and made him the 5th offensive lineman...

Should of asked one of them to volunteer to block Steven Richardson for a day.

Quote from the Strib about the student who caught the punt (taken from the thread about the article):

"It was fun to watch. Whitmore played football in high school and later for Augsburg before transferring to the U. He plans to try out for the Gophers this fall."

So he was a former football player in both High School and College and wants to try out for the Gophers, which is probably why he volunteered to do it, good on him for taking that opportunity.

Top Bottom