Fleck claims taking Gopher job was "a major pay cut'

When she asked the question, if I were him, I would've said something along the lines of, "I'll admit that the question caught me off guard, and my response was ill-advised. I want to move on from this situation and focus on building an elite program here at Minnesota."

Maybe you should offer to be his PR guy. You always know everything.

The usual characters trying to not only say what he said is no big deal (which it wasn't), but also that it was accurate (which is absurd). It's OK for PJF to make mistakes guys. It's OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He needs to just stop talking about this. I know he was asked and I appreciate that he responded, but he needs to just stop defending it.

He did not walk away from more money at Western Michigan. It is disingenuous to even imply that that kind of argument is valid. He was given a large pay raise and he deserves the large pay raise. There is nothing wrong with it. He earned the raise and he has made a good enough name for himself that he'll make way more money over the course of the next ten years than he would have if he would have accepted (and coached out) the entirety of the Western Michigan offer. The fact that we are trying this fact as a dirty little secret is strange. He earned it, he deserved it, why are we spinning it?

Nothing is guaranteed in coaching. Neither Brewster nor Mason have been head coaches since they were fired. He certainly could make more money here over 10 years but he could fired after 3 and earn significantly less than $30M.

The usual characters trying to not only say what he said is no big deal (which it wasn't), but also that it was accurate (which is absurd). It's OK for PJF to make mistakes guys. It's OK.

The usual characters making a bigger deal out of this than what it is...weird. The same ones that rip on Fleck for every little thing. But you even said in a different thread no one on here criticizes Fleck, only Claeys, which is absurd.

So it wasn't accurate that he likely turned down a longer contract worth more guaranteed money? I'm sure you have firsthand knowledge of that.

Did you watch or listen to the interview? It's such a horrible thing to say he turned down a bigger contract because it was his dream to coach in the B1G, and that job security and money are less important...

The usual characters making a bigger deal out of this than what it is...weird. The same ones that rip on Fleck for every little thing. But you even said in a different thread no one on here criticizes Fleck, only Claeys, which is absurd.

So it wasn't accurate that he likely turned down a longer contract worth more guaranteed money? I'm sure you have firsthand knowledge of that.

Did you watch or listen to the interview? It's such a horrible thing to say he turned down a bigger contract because it was his dream to coach in the B1G, and that job security and money are less important...

I just pointed out that he was at best disingenuous and at worst lying. Paint it how ever you want, but that take is spot on. I find it comical - not a big deal (and even said in the post you quoted that it wasn't a big deal - but carry on).

Also, I never said no one criticizes PJF on here. You are acting like your pal JB now making stuff up. I did say it is the Flecksters that can't let anything <b>at all negative </b>be said about the savior w/o defending him that are a bigger problem on this site than the opposite and I still stand by that. See this thread or basically any post you, Josh, or JB have made in the past 2-months for reference.

I just pointed out that he was at best disingenuous and at worst lying. Paint it how ever you want, but that take is spot on. I find it comical - not a big deal (and even said in the post you quoted that it wasn't a big deal - but carry on).

Also, I never said no one criticizes PJF on here. You are acting like your pal JB now making stuff up. I did say it is the Flecksters that can't let anything <b>at all negative </b>be said about the savior w/o defending him that are a bigger problem on this site than the opposite and I still stand by that. See this thread or basically any post you, Josh, or JB have made in the past 2-months for reference.

I think you, Bob and whoever else defending everything the old staff did is 100x more the problem. We can't even talk about who they beat last year and how they played in those games anymore without you going on the attack. You can't even look at anything objectively anymore it's just attacks. Sad!

He said it in the context of chasing his dreams and not the money. So horrible and he was being so disingenuous...

I think you, Bob and whoever else defending everything the old staff did is 100x more the problem. We can't even talk about who they <b>beat*</b> last year and how they played in those games anymore without you going on the attack. You can't even look at anything objectively anymore it's just attacks. Sad!

FIFY

If a team isn't a rival, and we can't really pound them, not sure we should be using names like "buttgers"...

He said it in the context of chasing his dreams and not the money. So horrible and he was being so disingenuous...

He implied it was some sort of risk to take the MN job at 3.5MM? Like selling all your things and moving to LA or NYC?

Seriously?

That's not helping his cause. Just don't talk about it. Ever again. It's a great opportunity and he sacrificed NOTHING of substance. Jiminy Christmas get some perspective.

Taking the reins at Minnesota is a financial and career risk. Fleck had a lifetime contract at Western. I don't see how it's more complicated than that.

Wat the wat wat?

Risky to go from WMU to MN?

Taking the reins at Minnesota is a financial and career risk. Fleck had a lifetime contract at Western. I don't see how it's more complicated than that.

If a team isn't a rival, and we can't really pound them, not sure we should be using names like "buttgers"...

I didn't come up with the name it's used quite often considering their season last year. They were outscored 160-7 the three weeks prior to us playing them I think it is fair to talk about the game.

He implied it was some sort of risk to take the MN job at 3.5MM? Like selling all your things and moving to LA or NYC?

Seriously?

That's not helping his cause. Just don't talk about it. Ever again. It's a great opportunity and he sacrificed NOTHING of substance. Jiminy Christmas get some perspective.

Yes, Minnesota is perennially considered one of the worst P5 jobs because it's easy for a coach to be successful here. Based on the last 50 years of history, his odds are significantly higher that he will fail rather than succeed here. He absolutely is taking a risk by turning down more guaranteed money and coming here.

Yes, Minnesota is perennially considered one of the worst P5 jobs because it's easy for a coach to be successful here. Based on the last 50 years of history, his odds are significantly higher that he will fail rather than succeed here. He absolutely is taking a risk by turning down more guaranteed money and coming here.

You guys are certifiably insane if you think he's sacrificed anything more than "job security".

Where is "extra 12 million" on Maslow's hierarchy of needs? The only thing he lacks is the realization of his full potential, which is why he left WMU and why he will leave here for a helmet school if he does well enough (and there's nothing wrong with that).

To frame his move to MN as a sacrifice is absurd and borderline insulting.

You guys are certifiably insane if you think he's sacrificed anything more than "job security".

Where is "extra 12 million" on Maslow's hierarchy of needs? The only thing he lacks is the realization of his full potential, which is why he left WMU and why he will leave here for a helmet school if he does well enough (and there's nothing wrong with that).

To frame his move to MN as a sacrifice is absurd and borderline insulting.

He could have easily stayed and won more at Western Michigan and held out for a better job. It's also easy to tell someone they should just turn down several million dollars from a message board...

He could have easily stayed and won more at Western Michigan and held out for a better job. It's also easy to tell someone they should just turn down several million dollars from a message board...

He could have stayed and not won more and blown his chances forever... there are no sure things.

I think you, Bob and whoever else defending everything the old staff did is 100x more the problem. We can't even talk about who they beat last year and how they played in those games anymore without you going on the attack. You can't even look at anything objectively anymore it's just attacks. Sad!

I think this is how its done.

I think you Johnny, and whoever else defending everything the PJF does is 100x more the problem. We can't even talk about anything that could be considered negative concerning PJF without you going on the attack. You can't even look at anything objectively anymore it's just attacks. Sad!

How'd I do JB?

Chasing his dreams & sacrifice.
That's what you are going with?

Yes, Minnesota is perennially considered one of the worst P5 jobs because it's easy for a coach to be successful here. Based on the last 50 years of history, his odds are significantly higher that he will fail rather than succeed here. He absolutely is taking a risk by turning down the potential to earn more guaranteed money and coming here.

FIFY. And you pound your chest calling others a liar? Check PJ's words. And for what it's worth, this is a poor choice of words on PJs part. Nothing more, nothing less. From his own words (again) PJ Fleck is a big boy. He can handle it. So if you disagree, disagree. Telling others their opinion on this mater is "wrong" is only perpetuating a silly thread.

FIFY. And you pound your chest calling others a liar? Check PJ's words. And for what it's worth, this is a poor choice of words on PJs part. Nothing more, nothing less. From his own words (again) PJ Fleck is a big boy. He can handle it. So if you disagree, disagree. Telling others their opinion on this mater is "wrong" is only perpetuating a silly thread.

Potential? Western Michigan was working on a long term deal with him well before he was hired here. It's very likely he turned down a long term deal from them worth more money overall. But sure according to you, Spoofin, and others on this thread, he is a 'liar'....

He said it himself that he should have worded it differently. Never argued that. When you listen to him explain it, it makes plenty of sense. Unless you continue to search for reason's to dislike Fleck, which plenty on here continue to do.

Great, I dislike PJF again. That's the only explanation for calling his statement absurd and disingenuous.

Potential? Western Michigan was working on a long term deal with him well before he was hired here. It's very likely he turned down a long term deal from them worth more money overall. But sure according to you, Spoofin, and others on this thread, he is a 'liar'....

He said it himself that he should have worded it differently. Never argued that. When you listen to him explain it, it makes plenty of sense. Unless you continue to search for reason's to dislike Fleck, which plenty on here continue to do.

Here's the complete quote:

"You can take whatever story you come from, whatever background you come from, whatever issues you've had and you can let it fuel you or you can let it stop you, and I want (the players) to embrace it, and never ignore it, but embrace it and respond the way we want them to, and that's what we mean about the craft. We have something to prove...we're here to prove to ourselves that we can accomplish anything.

"And that's one of the reasons why I took this job - for my own children--my four kids at home...so that they know that, you know what, dad had to sacrifice a lot and maybe the road that dad took might be a little bit harder, but he always did it, alright, because he chased his dream. He didn't chase the money. I took a major pay cut to come to the University of Minnesota, which nobody knows, alright, with the contract I was possibly gonna get at Western Michigan. It was the dream--it was the dream more than the money part. And that's what I want our players to understand..."

And a link if you want to listen to the interview (it's under 4/6 - quote is from the end of the interview)

http://jimrome.com/audio/the-jim-rome-show/

his words. not mine. doesn't matter. move on. PJ's a big boy. He'll be ok.

Fleck claims taking Gopher job was &quot;a major pay cut'

his words. not mine. doesn't matter. move on. PJ's a big boy. He'll be ok.

PJ will be OK. He's not who I'm worried about tho.

Haters to the left of me, apologists to the right. Here i am, stuck in the middle with you.

Wow. You're obsessed.

I looked at it objectively.

He either lied or he is stupid. I don't think he is stupid.

He did NOT take a major paycut.

You're right though, I'm not being objective.

P.S. I know you're blinded by your creepy obsession with PJ Fleck, but I ripped on the old staff constantly. I never mentioned the old staff in this thread and I say nice things about PJ every day on here. If anyone has any critique, you melt down like someone ripped on your favorite Backstreet Boy. You're a grown man who is obsessed with another grown man like you have a school girl crush. It's pathetic.

I know, time heals everything. You guys will eventually get over the loss of Tracy.

Completely over the loss of Tracy. I'm super pumped about PJ and I constantly talk him up. You all bring up Tracy and the old staff constantly. You are so obsessed with the old staff that you feel the need to reference them in a completely unrelated thread about PJ Fleck lying. He lied. Everyone can see that. It's not that big of deal, yet instead of just discuss it and move on. . .your weird crowd twists this into a PJ vs. Claeys convo. . . weird.

Top Bottom