Fleck claims taking Gopher job was "a major pay cut'

Odd comment, but maybe he's talking about over the life of the contract? Western Michigan could have been willing to give him 8-10 years instead of 5.

10 years at 2 million/yr is still 2.5 million more than 5 years at 3.5 million/yr.

This is the only thing that makes any sense...and even then not really unless PJ face plants here.

Who knows, maybe there was a booster willing to commit big $. Final thought, "big pay cut" to the average Schmuck is what 10k, or 5-10% of salary. Huge pay cut 20-25%, ginormous cut 40-50%. I need a glossary here.

10 years at 2 million/yr is still 2.5 million more than 5 years at 3.5 million/yr.

In terms of net present value, they are actually almost identical, with the former being worth slightly more than the latter.

I've got a feeling Fleck feels he's worth 8-10MM per year (2017 dollars) and 30 over 10 would be settling. No dice.

I assume that whatever WMU offered there was a Hotel California level penalty for leaving for quite a while .... otherwise he could just take it and bolt anyway...

He talked to a sponsor group last night and explained this. Left guaranteed money on table. WMU offered 10 yr/$30M.

This would make the most sense. Longer contract, likely more guaranteed money.

If PJ struggles here, realistically the earliest he'd be fired is after year 3. At that point he'd only be guaranteed a total of 13.5 million with the buyout.

I know all the hand-wringing Scandinavians on this board are appalled that he's talking about his salary, but the context is that he really wanted to be at Minnesota. That's a good thing.

I know all the hand-wringing Scandinavians on this board are appalled that he's talking about his salary, but the context is that he really wanted to be at Minnesota. That's a good thing.

If you are happy and in love with your wife, you might not mention the gymnast trust fund super model you dated before her.

If you are happy and in love with your wife, you might not mention the gymnast trust fund super model you dated before her.

Dated, but turned down for your current wife even after the gymnast offered some serious incentives to stay with her.

I'd want to leave the MAC too. Who wants to play games on Tuesday's and Wednesday's?

You all should be grateful for Fleck's magnanimity and altruism - to take over your program in need of a new culture for less money-security than he would've had at WMU.

After all, what CFB coach is hotter than him?

We need a new offense, a punt returner, and a QB it I'm not sure the culture was bad or toxic. if Fleck can improve the first three things and not break or even improve the defense he's worth the money and then some

You all should be grateful for Fleck's magnanimity and altruism - to take over your program in need of a new culture for less money-security than he would've had at WMU.

There were several threads here that beat that one into the ground...you can imagine how those threads ended up.

Don't believe everything you've heard about the previous "culture".

Dated, but turned down for your current wife even after the gymnast offered some serious incentives to stay with her.

Western Michigan is more like the fat chick who temporarily lost weight and got fat again

A self in-Fleck-ted wound. Stupid thing to say. Elite stupid!

We need a new offense, a punt returner, and a QB it I'm not sure the culture was bad or toxic. if Fleck can improve the first three things and not break or even improve the defense he's worth the money and then some

Agree.

Still see no upside for Fleck to bring this up now...bring it up at the end of a successful 2017 season where Gophs had 8-9 regular season wins, got the Axe back, and beat a solid SEC team in their bowl game.

Not the brightest thing to say. He talks a lot, obviously, so won't be the last time he will say something that will makes us wonder. Long as he can win, guess it is no big deal.

Maybe one of them that was hired this past offseason prior to PJF?

Besides, the point of this thread is the nonsense he spewed about a "major pay cut".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJF confirming he wants to be here...like it.

PJF making overtures that he's worth more...a lot more...don't like it.

PJF has done jack smack at a P5 level. Lots of other hot coaches went up to P5 and no one ever thought they would fail and they did. I'm all in on PJF but don't be that guy. I remember Mason always doing that and it drove me nuts and he got canned and all those jobs he thought he deserved never came.

Let's see what happens, I like what he's done so far but I liked how Brew recruited too his first year. Let's go PJF! Row the damn boat!

PJF confirming he wants to be here...like it.

PJF making overtures that he's worth more...a lot more...don't like it.

PJF has done jack smack at a P5 level. Lots of other hot coaches went up to P5 and no one ever thought they would fail and they did. I'm all in on PJF but don't be that guy. I remember Mason always doing that and it drove me nuts and he got canned and all those jobs he thought he deserved never came.

Let's see what happens, I like what he's done so far but I liked how Brew recruited too his first year. Let's go PJF! Row the damn boat!

Good take

I don't think the discussion here is about whether or not we are lucky to have him.

Our culture was perfectly fine, but he seems like a good coach and was the hottest name in coaching (of who we could realistically get).

The discussion here is about whether or not he took a major pay cut to come here. He didn't. He may have taken less guaranteed money (10 yr/$30 million sounds right), but I'd be willing to bet that PJ makes more than 30 million dollars over the course of the next ten years. He knows that. What I'm saying is actually a compliment to him, he didn't take a pay cut to come here.

There's a 50-50 chance that every time PJ speaks it will make you shake your head. It won't matter if he gives the ball to Brooks and Smith enough

Odd comment, but maybe he's talking about over the life of the contract? Western Michigan could have been willing to give him 8-10 years instead of 5.

This would be believable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom