Fleck claims taking Gopher job was "a major pay cut'

Bring back the Axe

Reaction score
@ChrisVannini

P.J. Fleck just said on Jim Rome that he took “a major pay cut” for the Minnesota job vs. possible WMU contract. “Which nobody knows."

9:35 AM - 6 Apr 2017

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/850024174471045120

He made $800K last year and was the highest paid coach in the MAC. Tom Herman was far and away the highest paid G5 coach at $3M, in a conference with much deeper pockets. How on earth was WMU going to come up with $3.5M+/year??

vs. possible WMU contract.

d1zxa.gif

He had two big money boosters in his pocket, one of whom is on BOT and whose wife is a billionaire.

He had two big money boosters in his pocket, one of whom is on BOT and whose wife is a billionaire.

I heard there was an offer out there that was big.... but PJ still didn't take it and I'm not sure I've heard of a booster in a situation where they outright paid the vast majority of the coach's salary via one or two doners ... because that's what would have to happen for them to go above and beyond his current salary in MN.

Billionaires throw money around sometimes, but when taking on most of the cost it is usually a building or something, paying for a coach almost whole hog (who can still leave) seems way less likely.

Who knows and frankly don't care if he has a Joe Pa kinda tenure...Without the scandals of coarse..

Well, he did say Minnesota was his "dream job" so apparently he was willing to take the hit.

Absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ChrisVannini

P.J. Fleck just said on Jim Rome that he took “a major pay cut” for the Minnesota job vs. possible WMU contract. “Which nobody knows."

9:35 AM - 6 Apr 2017

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/850024174471045120

He made $800K last year and was the highest paid coach in the MAC. Tom Herman was far and away the highest paid G5 coach at $3M, in a conference with much deeper pockets. How on earth was WMU going to come up with $3.5M+/year??[/QUOT

How generous of him.

Hey PJ, this is what is referred to as a self inflicted wound. Don't do that. There is no reason to do that.

Odd comment, but maybe he's talking about over the life of the contract? Western Michigan could have been willing to give him 8-10 years instead of 5.

10 years at 2 million/yr is still 2.5 million more than 5 years at 3.5 million/yr.

Odd comment, but maybe he's talking about over the life of the contract? Western Michigan could have been willing to give him 8-10 years instead of 5.

10 years at 2 million/yr is still 2.5 million more than 5 years at 3.5 million/yr.

Maybe, but who really runs out their whole contract from day one to the end? PJ didn't.... Still really wonky to approach it that way.

FWIW - before he left I was told by a good source he was looking at eight years at $3 million per.

Is it possible to track leadpipes IP address? I think it's in Kansas somewhere.

Anyways I saw there were rumors of 10 year 3 million dollar contract from WMU still less than 3.5 mill a year here though.

Is it possible to track leadpipes IP address? I think it's in Kansas somewhere.

Anyways I saw there were rumors of 10 year 3 million dollar contract from WMU still less than 3.5 mill a year here though.

...and yours would lead to the backseat of PJ's car

If he took a pay cut, he took a pay cut. He's just stating a fact. Seems like kind of a non-story. Getting to coach in the Big Ten, playing for championships, was obviously worth more to him than some money. That's a good thing...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

He's just stating a fact.

He's absolutely, 100%, not stating a fact though. That's the thing. If he turned down the potential for more money at Western Michigan (which is laughable and absurd), that's one thing, but he most definitely did not take a pay cut.

He's absolutely, 100%, not stating a fact though. That's the thing. If he turned down the potential for more money at Western Michigan (which is laughable and absurd), that's one thing, but he most definitely did not take a pay cut.

Did you see the contract Dpoll?

Yeah...not buying that at all.

That's a huge jump for a school with total athletic dept revenue of Maybe $30M, which is 60%+ subsidized from its general fund. No programs, including football, make money. His comp paid by WMU was less than $250K of the $800K base he received, I believe. Don't see WMU offering much more...so all would have to come from donors. It was reported before he left that WMU donors thought they could put together something in the $1.5-2M range tops.

Only at current value. Also wouldn't stop him from being plucked by a P5 in a couple years...the buyout would have to be big not to, and I couldn't see him agreeing to that...and severely limiting his chance at a P5 opportunity for years.

He talked to a sponsor group last night and explained this. Left guaranteed money on table. WMU offered 10 yr/$30M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point is, he valued a chance to coach at the highest level more than money. That's good. Besides, WMU could have offered him a 10 year contract, which in total would be worth more. But nobody knows, so we either are pessimistic and assume he's lying or we take the statement as is. If he's trying to say that a chance to win a championship is more important than money & you want to spin that into something negative, you might need a hug.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom