New Q&A with Mike Sherels: "The U of M has been great about handling this."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
New Q&A with Mike Sherels: "The U of M has been great about handling this."

per Chip:

Q: What are your plans now? You weren’t offered a job of Fleck’s coaching staff but I’ve heard Mark Coyle has indicated that he’d like to find a position for you in the athletic department.

Sherels: I’m on medical leave so I can’t accept a job even if I was offered one. I’m trying to listen to my doctors this time. I’m fully prepared to sit out this year if that’s what the doctors determine is best for my health.

NOTE: The NCAA is expected to vote to approve a rule that would allow football teams to hire a 10th full-time assistant coach. Sherels said he believes that rule could go into effect in January.

Sherels: The U of M has been great about handling this. If and when the time comes and the 10th coach passes and I’m able to work, all I would ask of Coach Fleck is that I get interview. If I’m not the guy for the job, by all means give it to somebody else.

Q: Do you want to stay in coaching if that happens or would you accept an administrative job inside the athletic department?

Sherels: I’m not sure. I go back and forth. I went and visited [former Gophers defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel at Wake Forest] for four days. It was eye-opening. I really, really love coaching and I’m good at it. I really enjoy being around the kids. I enjoy being around other coaches and drawing stuff up on the backboard and shooting stuff back and forth and coming up with ideas. The question will be, can I do it in a way that’s fair to the kids? If I can’t do that, if I have an infection one week and have to miss three days here and three days there, then I won’t coach. I’ll go do something else. But if things continue the way that I feel like they’re continuing, I feel like I’ve got a good shot.

http://www.startribune.com/sherels-to-receive-courage-award-as-recovery-continues/418531883/

Go Gophers!!

The entire article is awesome!
He is one of the good ones. Hope he can continue to have good news and will one day be back coaching with the Gophers.

Just love him. Great player...so much heart! Excellent young coach, and sounds like just a great person. He's the kind of guy you want leading your son as they enter a college football program. Get well Mike! Hope to continue to see you in the maroon and gold in some capacity!

His surgery was brutal as we all know. As a result much time is needed to recover and I'm glad he is doing that to get stronger. I'm hoping that he'll be a Gopher coach next January. However as he takes time off he'll be able to sit back and enjoy the view a bit and explore his options as to what is best for him and his family.
Time will tell. Good luck to you coach and hope that the Gophers are in the picture for his services.

Nothing but the best for this Gopher Gem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He exemplifies what a true Gopher is. I hope they find something for him to remain with Gopher Football or athletics.

All the luck in the world to Mike. He has an extremely tough road ahead.

Top Bottom