Doogie: Richard Pitino has had some interesting conversations w/ a few diff parents

We aren't going to get into the details of our conversations. We can assure you we went through the appropriate channels and spoke with the appropriate contacts to ensure we had the situation correct before we deleted the posts.

Thank you anonymous "GopherHole Staff"!! Good board but this is literally the only one that I'm on where the administrators are completely anonymous when they post on the generic account! Bleed Gopher, please stand up!!

I had heard that Amir was considering transfer because he didn't get to play point guard. I say...learn how to dribble and shoot a jump shot then talk with coach about more minutes at the point.
Amir has a ton of athletic ability, but he needs to work on his dribbling and shot. It needs work.

We deleted a number of posts in this thread that originated from an incorrect rumor about the Hurt family. We looked into this issue and can assure you that the Hurt family has been 100% supportive of Coach Pitino and the University of Minnesota, and that the post about this situation was 100% false.

Can you just delete this entire thread? The amount of stupid sh*t people are saying on here is ridiculous (it all started with Doogie's Scoop Podcast)...

...Let's blindly accuse parents of being "unhappy with Pitino" and then blindly accuse the Gopherhole staff of being in cahoots with said parents after they delete dumb comments from members. I'm starting to think some of you are Iowa/Wisconsin fans in disguise hoping to piss off players and recruits :confused:.

P.S. I have no relationship with any recruit, player, gopherhole staff member or parent of any of the aforementioned.

SO MANY EXPERTS, SO LITTLE EXPERTISE!!!

If I were Richard, I would invite any parents with concerns, to my office for a meeting. Before the meeting, I would place my Big Ten Coach of the Year trophy in plain view, for anyone to see. While the parent was listing off any concerns, I would take said trophy and start polishing it right in front of them.

If I were Richard, I would invite any parents with concerns, to my office for a meeting. Before the meeting, I would place my Big Ten Coach of the Year trophy in plain view, for anyone to see. While the parent was listing off any concerns, I would take said trophy and start polishing it right in front of them.

Nice....love it

Don't underestimate the power of a whining helicopter parent...

They already would have had a scholarship and would be taking another big (Race?) in the 2018 class anyways even if Gilbert wasn't transferring and we didn't have a scholarship this year.

Do you mean a 2017 big?

No, I think he means a 2018 big: like a quality big transfer who would have to sit out a year and not be able to contribute immediately. Presumably this would be someone who has demonstrated already that he can make a significant contribution at the collegiate level. There are a few of them out there and that would not be a bad use of the transfer. After the last two season, I'm just always insecure about the reliability of roster numbers.

Richard Coffey has been very interesting in public forms about how Amir should be used. Always seems like Amir is having a great time but Richard I am no longer a fan of. He was my favorite player from the past but he ripping Pitino numerous times I can't stand about Amir and ripping Amir teammates I don't like.

Amir had a great freshman season got more out of him than I stronger work on ball handling and his game will improve.

Hurt family and Curry mom loves the U!

I had heard that Amir was considering transfer because he didn't get to play point guard. I say...learn how to dribble and shoot a jump shot then talk with coach about more minutes at the point.
Amir has a ton of athletic ability, but he needs to work on his dribbling and shot. It needs work.

Amir played "point forward" plenty, and turned the ball over off the dribble way too much. He's obviously going to be a great player, but right now he really needs to work on his handles. In the BTT Michigan game I think there were 3 times he got picked and all 3 resulted in layups for Michigan. The thought of him bringing the ball all the way up the floor against pressure by quick PG's is not a pretty thought at this point.

If you want to retain the local talent you will have to deal with the local parents. Doogie loves controversy and conflict. Richard said Amir needed to learn how to step on some toes, and I don't think he meant his coach or team mates.

Having lived through the Monson/Humphries debacle (worst season ever), I can say I have little doubt that Pitino is capable of holding his own in this arena. What many Minnesotans perhaps don't like about Pitino exactly the reason he'll be fine. Strong, self-effacing but confident, good sense of humor. And, as suggested above, you can't argue with success. Pitono brought the whole team into the limelight, which none expected this year. And, he said over and over: this team had no ego.
Its a challenge as to what will work: the Kentucky model (where success is built on big talent and egos), or the most-everyone-else model, where success is based on the assemblage of a team of talented people who can work together and support each others' success.

(Hmmm. Also a question on a national and world level)

When you think about it, it's kind of ironic to be having a discussion about whether the son of Rick Pitino has experience in dealing with opinionated or vocal parents and parental egos.

Top Bottom