Disgraced on Showtime

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
If you haven't watched Disgraced, the documentary about the 2003 Dave Bliss/Baylor/Patrick Dennehy murder scandal, you need to watch it. Will not leave you with a good feeling about big-time athletics, especially Baylor & Bliss, but it is very well done. It's about 2 hours and is the best documentary I've seen since the OJ stuff came out.

It gave me more reason to despise Coach K and Jim Boeheim (and Kelvin Sampson). All chumps for ostracizing/blackballing (on ESPN, of course) a young coach (Abar Rouse) for putting his career on the line to do the right thing instead of being part of a despicable cover-up/murder.

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2017/03/30/former-baylor-coach-cbb-coach-fraternity-is-like-the-mafia/

Heard is was very well done. Don't have Showtime, so I will have to find it online somewhere.

We're all sinners and only God gets to make the call on our Judgment Days, but I don't think it's going to end well for Dave Bliss when he approaches the Pearly Gates. Absolutely appalled by this man after watching the documentary. How can anyone be that cold, that calculating, that morally bankrupt? Felt dirty watching the story unfold. Bliss is proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Abar Rouse is the saving grace in this story.

We're all sinners and only God gets to make the call on our Judgment Days, but I don't think it's going to end well for Dave Bliss when he approaches the Pearly Gates. Absolutely appalled by this man after watching the documentary. How can anyone be that cold, that calculating, that morally bankrupt? Felt dirty watching the story unfold. Bliss is proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

It gives you real perspective of how dirty college sports really is and the length schools are willing to go to for a cover up

It gives you real perspective of how dirty college sports really is and the length schools are willing to go to for a cover up

What's sad about it is it makes Baylor's current scandal it's second worse Athletic Cover up and it isn't even close

What's sad about it is it makes Baylor's current scandal it's second worse Athletic Cover up and it isn't even close

The sad part about that is the current cover up has had way more victims who won't receive proper justice

Bliss was a self-described deeply Christian man at a devoutly Christian school, both committing acts that couldn't possibly have been less Christian.

Bliss was a self-described deeply Christian man at a devoutly Christian school, both committing acts that couldn't possibly have been less Christian.

Exactly. Guys like Bliss and Baylor are the ones who give Christianity a bad name. There are bad eggs in every religion, every profession, every walk of life.

Exactly. Guys like Bliss and Baylor are the ones who give Christianity a bad name. There are bad eggs in every religion, every profession, every walk of life.

And Art Briles and Ken Starr and all the sycophants among the school's administration, alumni and boosters who talk Christ out of one side of their mouths while covering up murder and rape on their campus out of the other. Such a cesspool.

Just watched it today. What a bunch of scumbags. May they all rot in hell. It's not clear whether anyone else was involved in the shooting (even though they hint at it), but for the coach to turn around 2 days later and try and save his own rear by dogging down the victim in this whole scenario. It's unbelievable. Definitely worth the watch.

Just watched it today. What a bunch of scumbags. May they all rot in hell. It's not clear whether anyone else was involved in the shooting (even though they hint at it), but for the coach to turn around 2 days later and try and save his own rear by dogging down the victim in this whole scenario. It's unbelievable. Definitely worth the watch.

+1. I finished it a few nights ago. Bliss is a the worst of the worst. Baylor has serious, serious issues that are at its core.

Go Gophers!!

Wow. I've had this on my list to watch since you posted about it, and I have to admit - it's even worse than I'd imagined.

Bliss is a sociopath (amongst many other things). I can't believe he took part in this documentary, playing the victim. He's so smug and clearly has no remorse for what he's done. We're not just talking about paying some players...we're talking about a young man dying. Thank goodness Abar Rouse has morals and ethics, this is not like being a narc for cheating on a paper or slipping kids some money (the usual stuff that happens) - this is a whole other level. For him to be called out by guys like Coach K - their comparisons aren't even relevant. The fact that he's been blackballed is truly disgraceful.

Some of the things he said in this...
- I didn't do anything (to Patrick), I said bad things about their kid
- We can get out of this. There’s nobody right now that can say that we paid Pat Dennehy. Because he’s dead.
- Are you in a better spot than you were before, was it worth it? The answer is yes.

and now he's some kind of Christian motivational speaker (pre-documentary) and got a chance to coach and influence young men? Sick.

This guy make Coaches like Cal and Sampson look squeaky clean.

Question - just did some light googling and didn't see it, what motive did Dotson have for murdering Patrick? With all of this info that's come out, I'm not clear on that.

There is no motive given because he confessed to the entire thing via his Baylor defense team. And he never was asked to speak in court about it by the Baylor juvenile judge. I believe the documentary hinted that the 3'rd guy's cousin may have been involved (which is why Rouse was told to give him money and put him on a bus) and Dotson's parents kept saying he always says "We". All that said, I don't think there was obvious physical evidence of a 3rd person at the crime scene, but hard to tell 2 months later. I doubt we'll ever know. The other thing they hinted as that it was just his mental illness. Even though they spend the first 30 minutes of the documentary having everyone who knew Dennehy say how much he got along with Dotson...

Not sure if the police have ever gone on record about the motive.

Really sounds like mental illness played a role:
"Dotson was arrested in late July after calling 911, saying he needed help because he was hearing voices. According to a recent report in The Washington Post, several of Dotson's family members were growing deeply concerned about his emotionally unstable behavior."

Also, the players were paranoid after a robbery:
"Baylor officials said Dotson and Dennehy went to different coaches to say that they had about $300 stolen from their apartment and had been threatened by teammates. On June 7, after the five-day mandatory waiting period, they picked up the guns.

Dennehy's family has said that Baylor coaches did not take the threats seriously and did nothing to help Dennehy. ''They were being threatened and they went out and got these guns after the coaches blew them off,'' De La Rosa said."

Things had not been going well for Dotson in the months leading up to it, while Dennehy's future seemed to be looking bright. Begs the question if jealousy or something along those lines played a role:
"Bliss had told Dotson he would play little during the coming season, and Dotson planned to transfer again."

"Dotson moved in with Dennehy in April after his marriage of eight months had fallen apart."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/28/sports/college-basketball-death-and-deception.html

Top Bottom