Tubby runs the Lawson brothers out of Memphis!

Otis

Reaction score
Okay, maybe he didn't.

But he did remove their dad from being an assistant coach and made him the Player personnel rep? Sounds like a pro thing.

Anyway, the two brother who are Sophomore and Red-shirt freshman are pretty damn good basketball players. Recruited by Josh Pastner, these guys will most likely be a package deal wherever they go.

Oh yeah, Their little brother is a 5* 2018 recruit.

Good move Tubby.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Gonna have to hire dad too. And it's gonna have to be a coaching job, not anything in operations.

When is Memphis going to be turning the program over to Saul? My guess is in five years, unless Kentucky steals Saul away first.

5 players have now transferred out of Memphis since the season ended:

The Memphis men’s basketball program suffered another defection Saturday afternoon. This time, it was one of the few players on last year’s roster that coach Tubby Smith actually recruited here.

Freshman guard Keon Clergeot announced via social media that he will not be coming back to Memphis next year, becoming the fifth player to seek a transfer since Smith’s first season with the Tigers ended last month.

“After discussing it with my family, I have decided that I will not be returning next year for my sophomore season,” Clergeot wrote on his Twitter account Saturday afternoon. “I wish nothing but continued success for the University of Memphis and Memphis basketball.”

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...atest-memphis-basketball-defection/100220934/

Go Gophers!!

So Tubby demoted their dad and now they are going to transfer? Good for Tubby.

So Tubby demoted their dad and now they are going to transfer? Good for Tubby.
They aren't the only transfers though. 5 guys have transferred and another is expected to grad transfer. Tubby had a mandatory team workout last week and only 3 players were there. Fans are going nuclear right now.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

They are screwed. There's no fixing it. He has four years left on a $15 million deal and they have to pay the entire remaining balance if they fire him. Wow. This is one of those rare instances where message board posters are smarter than the decision makers -- I think anybody on this board would've told their President he'd be crazy to make this deal, and we would've been right.

Tubby's contract

They are screwed. There's no fixing it. He has four years left on a $15 million deal and they have to pay the entire remaining balance if they fire him. Wow. This is one of those rare instances where message board posters are smarter than the decision makers -- I think anybody on this board would've told their President he'd be crazy to make this deal, and we would've been right.

Tubby's contract

It is odd how close the Commercial Appeal article is to Gopherhole sentiment. He was a bizarrely odd hire for Memphis.

It is odd how close the Commercial Appeal article is to Gopherhole sentiment. He was a bizarrely odd hire for Memphis.

but, But, BUT it's Tubby Freaking Smith! Memphis should be so happy they have him! He won a National Championship! Best coach ever! :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now it's being reported that Markel Crawford is gone. That means Memphis' top 3 scorers are gone. It's official, dumpster fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was due to his success recruiting the Hollins' twins out of Memphis, per ESPN. It's a shame these twins didn't work out as well. :rolleyes:

It certainly doesn't look good for Tubby ATM. But many people here, including 'experts' like GW were also convinced it would be a dumpster fire at Texas Tech and it wasn't.

It certainly doesn't look good for Tubby ATM. But many people here, including 'experts' like GW were also convinced it would be a dumpster fire at Texas Tech and it wasn't.

Well, true, but you have to admit that having 5 players, including some very highly rated ones, transfer after your first year is a very rough beginning. Hard to see how he doesn't have a pretty difficult time next year and probably the year after anyway.

Memphis always felt like an odd fit, especially after his time with the Gophers and Texas Tech. I do think he was great for the Gophers during his time here. Since the tournament expanded to 64 in 1985 Minnesota has only gone to 7 NCAA Tournament's that weren't vacated, he lead us to 3 of them. I'm certainly thankful for his time here, and I think it would have been better if not for some untimely injuries.

Memphis always felt like an odd fit, especially after his time with the Gophers and Texas Tech. I do think he was great for the Gophers during his time here. Since the tournament expanded to 64 in 1985 Minnesota has only gone to 7 NCAA Tournament's that weren't vacated, he lead us to 3 of them. I'm certainly thankful for his time here, and I think it would have been better if not for some untimely injuries.

I'm thankful for his time here too, but also very thankful Pitino is here now instead.

He's a good man, but I am glad he was fired. Not big on one 9th place finish after the next. I was shocked he got the job at Memphis.

Kansas just got a lot better/deeper...once the transfer year is up of course.

Tubby just got the dreaded full endorsement of the Athletic Director! His dismissal could be imminent.

Are we really that surprise? He's was a good coach but still very old school and he's at a place were discipline was an issue with Calipari and Pastner. It will be tough for him to recover from losing these players but it is possible to recover if they can get some transfers in or work the juco ranks

I guess they're looking at this as signing day...

Top Bottom