STrib: P.J. Fleck met his badminton match with this elite U student

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand Ball:

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck has made no secret of his “Row the Boat” mantra. There are reminders everywhere, including Twitter — where the coach uses the hashtag #RTB to punctuate his social media messages.

But on Tuesday, maybe RTB had a double meaning: Row the Boat and … Rock the Badminton?

You see, Fleck was on his way back from speaking with the Gophers men’s gymnastics team when he spotted a bunch of students playing badminton. Fleck was wearing dress clothes, but that didn’t matter. Apparently, he needed to play.

And he didn’t just want to play anyone.

“I remember him asking, ‘who’s the best player here?’” said Dan McGill, a University freshman from Lakeville. “And people were kind of hesitant because some didn’t know who he was, so I just asked if he wanted to hit around.”

McGill, a self-proclaimed huge football fan, was happy to raise his hand. But even though Fleck might have wanted to play the best one there — a mentality consistent with the approach he takes to coaching — he might not have known the buzzsaw he was walking into.

McGill had a few advantages, of course: he was dressed in athletic clothes, for starters. And he is an avid player. Fleck was probably a little rusty, since McGill said the coach asked him to remind him of a couple rules before they started.

They ended up playing a game to nine points — with some of it captured on video and posted on social media (frame grab at the top of the page courtesy of Sarah Woodruff with Gophers football).

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-met-his-badminton-match-with-this-elite-u-student/418339093/

Go Gophers!!

Our coach is crazy, I love it. Connecting with (non-football) students on and around campus and making himself part of the student experience - if even for a small number of them - is great to see.

Our coach is crazy, I love it. Connecting with (non-football) students on and around campus and making himself part of the student experience - if even for a small number of them - is great to see.

Probably just solidified another season ticket holder...

Nice to see some outreach beyond just a siloed football program. Granted we've seen attempts by other coaches in the past but it is always nice to see.

Granted there will always be haters but I wonder if the program was thought of differently by the rest of the university if the whole assault ordeal / perception might have been somewhat different.

We live in a "us vs them" world these days, would be nice to see some of that change.

So Fleck is winless since getting the to the U. Great...

Fleck seems to have the ability to genuinely interact with the "public." It seems natural to him and this is a huge advantage for a public figure. Most athletes/ coaches become quite standoffish after tiring of the attention.

Fleck seems to have the ability to genuinely interact with the "public." It seems natural to him and this is a huge advantage for a public figure. Most athletes/ coaches become quite standoffish after tiring of the attention.

Considering the hours they work it is even more impressive. I'm sure plenty of good natured coaches out there have lesser reputations just because they're fried due to the hours involved.

Having to be ON and selling all the time working those hours, that would be extra hard.

Considering the hours they work it is even more impressive. I'm sure plenty of good natured coaches out there have lesser reputations just because they're fried due to the hours involved.

Having to be ON and selling all the time working those hours, that would be extra hard.

It is super hard plus you also must have to deal with the odd jerk. It is a real benefit to naturally like the interaction. Fleck might have that and may be the first coach since perhaps Wacker to have it.

It is super hard plus you also must have to deal with the odd jerk. It is a real benefit to naturally like the interaction. Fleck might have that and may be the first coach since perhaps Wacker to have it.

I can't imagine working hard and dealing with some of our local media....

Granted, I'm old but how the hell does he find the energy?

Granted, I'm old but how the hell does he find the energy?

I'm assuming:

wAgPSqF.jpg

Ha, I would guess Adderall...some people describe it as similar to an IV of caffeine. A marginal NFL prospect looking for that 1% edge might be tempted...more likely PJ just naturally amped; they are one in a thousand but they're out there. Wacky guy, hypercompetitive, loves to wrestle. Gotta enjoy this ride!

Some guys just always have a lot of energy. I had an assistant coach that way. He had more energy than most of us 18-22 year olds had.

Top Bottom