Ref John Higgins putting life back together after frightening threats from UK fans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Omaha World Herald:

John Higgins told himself that it was just a basketball game and that he had a job to do, just as he’s done thousands of times before.

But it wasn’t easy walking out on the court Saturday to officiate the Gonzaga-South Carolina Final Four contest.

Not after thousands of phone calls, emails and Facebook postings from disgruntled Kentucky fans disrupted his roofing business and frightened his family and employees.

It scared him, too.

“I knew the eyes and cameras would be on me because of the national exposure and situation,” Higgins said. “I said to myself, ‘I’m not going to quit because of this — it’s too much pressure, it’s too hard.’ We got through it, and I thought we did a good job. I’ve got seven months to think about next year.”

That was Higgins’ final game until next season. But there will be no vacation. He has a company to put back together.

Business at Weatherguard Inc., has become somewhat more normal since phone calls with a Kentucky area code were blocked. Little business got done last week after around 25,000 contacts were made through social media after Higgins officiated the Kentucky-North Carolina game, which the Wildcats lost by two points.

He’s still dealing with the fallout from those thousands of negative emails and phone calls and the reviews on Weatherguard’s Facebook page that dropped its rating from 4.8 to 1.2. It’s back up to 3.0, but that’s still not good when weighed against the competition, Higgins said.

He’s also got the unseen victims to take care of — his wife and family, some of whom wanted him to stop officiating after 28 years, and his employees. They were nervous and a little shaky, Higgins said, driving around the Omaha area in company trucks after everything they’d heard.

False reports were even filed with the Better Business Bureau, using names such as Adolph Rupp, the legendary former Kentucky coach, and Calipari John, a reversal of the current Kentucky coach’s name.

Higgins still isn’t sure exactly why the calls and emails started. Calipari did mention the officiating right away after the loss.

Higgins left that game thinking he and his two fellow officials had done a good job, but he said no one is ever perfect, and that includes officials, coaches and players.

That’s why he’s graded by his supervisors after every game. His performance has been good enough that he was given his eighth Final Four.

“My job is to be fair to both teams, be professional and demand sportsmanship,” he said. “That’s what we’re supposed to do as officials. That’s what I try to do every time I get out.”

Higgins said the other officials didn’t suffer the same kind of harassment. He likes to think of himself as just another ref, but he’s more well known because of the number of games he officiates and, of course, the sun-bleached hair.

“As you know, people like to give me crap about the hair, the Twitter account,” Higgins said. “I try to blend in when I referee a game.”

Company officials started getting notifications about a half hour after the Elite Eight game. By Monday morning, it was a flood.

Weatherguard has three lines, and they rang nonstop. Higgins said some people called 40 to 50 times a day.

His home and company address were shared publicly, so the Omaha Police Department and the FBI were notified. OPD gave both special attention.

After the situation became public, media outlets from across the country called for interviews. One even offered $10,000.

Officials from all levels of the game started contacting Higgins, too. They’re used to screaming fans, but this was new.

They were scared, too.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/local-s...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Go Gophers!!

This is absolutely insane! What exactly did the guy do wrong? Your team lost a freaking basketball game fair and square. Get a grip on reality!

Are there grounds to sue the University for defamation of character? I imagine he could if one of those fans had some sort of job/internship with the University.

It is scary how caught up some people get in sporting events at all levels. You see parents wanting to fight coaches and refs after youth sports games because they get so heated about it. At least in that case though they have a kid involved so they have a direct connection (not that it excuses the bad behavior of course). But to call in a death threat or try to destroy someones career after a college basketball game is just sad. There really are a lot of people out there that just need to get a grip on reality.

I thought it would be interesting to see how UK's fan base was doing with this (random selection from Cats Illustrated):
- This is just to put UK in a bad light.

Higgins sucked on purpose & it would take a blind bastard to objectively watch that 1st half & say any different. I DO NOT condone death threats at all, but I'm sure no one really meant it. If it causes a little fear in him to disregard the massive amount of hard work student athletes put & be unjust in officiating (whatever his motive) then so be it. I DO NOT feel sorry for him one bit.

You say: "It's just a ballgame!" So you're telling me that excuses officials trying to affect the outcomes of games? I'm sorry, enough of the siding with officials! I'll side with the student athletes that work their asses off & deserve much better. The athletes should decide games, not the zebras who are having fun with this & making $3,000/game & extra benefits on the side.

- Higgins & that entire crew deserve all the criticism that comes their way. Same for most officials all year long across college basketball. Some real accountability might clean this crap up.

- Reminds me of the Libs who are filled with white guilt and constantly apologize for being white and bash other whites.

- until it is proven that it was an actual UK with a legit death threat we as a fan base need nothing to apologize for (the facebook deal to his business was not tactful but its not harmful). the NCAA keeps backing a ref that cant be impartial, clearly has an issue with Cal/UK, and seems to really enjoy inserting himself into the game.

I thought it would be interesting to see how UK's fan base was doing with this (random selection from Cats Illustrated):

That guy is a perfect example of the problem. This bit in particular was chilling:

"I DO NOT condone death threats at all, but I'm sure no one really meant it. If it causes a little fear in him to disregard the massive amount of hard work student athletes put & be unjust in officiating (whatever his motive) then so be it. I DO NOT feel sorry for him one bit."

Yep, I'm sure the NCAA would go out of their way to put a terrible ref in place in their most high profile games with millions of people watching, makes total sense.

That guy is a perfect example of the problem. This bit in particular was chilling:

"I DO NOT condone death threats at all, but I'm sure no one really meant it. If it causes a little fear in him to disregard the massive amount of hard work student athletes put & be unjust in officiating (whatever his motive) then so be it. I DO NOT feel sorry for him one bit."

Yep, I'm sure the NCAA would go out of their way to put a terrible ref in place in their most high profile games with millions of people watching, makes total sense.

It reminds me of the death threats Kent Hrbek got after he pulled Ron Gant off first base in the 1991 World Series. We heard the same thing then: in the South, they don't really mean it when they threaten to kill you. What!?

I don't really have a huge problem with the death threats, pro athletes get them all the time and it's just something you have to deal with at the sports highest level and I don't think I've ever heard of a fan actually killing a player or ref in America ever. Now If I was a soccer player in Columbia during the 80's or 90's then I'd be absolutely terrified but thats not the case.

I do have a problem though with fans writing terrible reviews about his roofing business that he owns and is in charge of. That could result in a tangible loss of money and really affect the livelihood of his family. Thats pretty unsettling that fans of a team could affect that.

I don't really have a huge problem with the death threats, pro athletes get them all the time and it's just something you have to deal with at the sports highest level and I don't think I've ever heard of a fan actually killing a player or ref in America ever. Now If I was a soccer player in Columbia during the 80's or 90's then I'd be absolutely terrified but thats not the case.

I do have a problem though with fans writing terrible reviews about his roofing business that he owns and is in charge of. That could result in a tangible loss of money and really affect the livelihood of his family. Thats pretty unsettling that fans of a team could affect that.

And many other families that have nothing to do with this.

Top Bottom