lot of good news out of practice report

Douglas looked so good at DB I'm hopeful Fleck can get him to stick there after he arrives. That will help the depth and if he's as good as I suspect he could be starting before long.

Talked to a friend who has attended Spring practices in seasons past. He said the amount of dropped balls has diminished greatly over last Spring.

I appreciate Swingman's report, and Burns is typically optimistic (which I don't mind). But I'd say Swingman's report reads as more upbeat than Burns actually sounded.

I know he's on a different website, but if you like this kind of discussion I highly recommend Burns's podcasts.

Talked to a friend who has attended Spring practices in seasons past. He said the amount of dropped balls has diminished greatly over last Spring.

fascinating. What % of balls were dropped last year compared to this year?

There you go again. Keep doing all you can to lower expectations for your Fleck crush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh? I repeated what he said idiot. Keep living in the past for your Claeys crush you weirdo.

fascinating. What % of balls were dropped last year compared to this year?

I know that's anecdotal, but I appreciated the observation. It's hard to gauge how the team is compared to where it was last year at this time. Sometimes it is good to have the team pass the eye test in the offseason.

I know that's anecdotal, but I appreciated the observation. It's hard to gauge how the team is compared to where it was last year at this time. Sometimes it is good to have the team pass the eye test in the offseason.

Wonder if Woz is again catching everything thrown his way in practice...:p

With that being said I think Ciarrocca will probably put these guys in a better position to succeed than we have seen with our predictable offense the last few years. I would also be optimistic about the quarterback position/passing game as last year we probably averaged going about 13-25 for 175 yards a game which really is not impressive at all.

Were you guessing or did you look this up?

Averages: 13.9-25.2 for 173.7 yards per game in 2016.

I appreciate Swingman's report, and Burns is typically optimistic (which I don't mind). But I'd say Swingman's report reads as more upbeat than Burns actually sounded.

Didn't want to dwell on the negative stuff, but since it is out there:

Burns said Claeys used to stand 30 yards behind the play in practice and rarely interacted with team, couldn't hear him when he did. Said a lot of the staff byond Sawvel, Sherels, and Miller was non-communicative. Said once you were in the Brian Anderson doghouse, it was tough to get out. Said it is night and day how much more positivity and communication in practice from the head coach especially, but all the assistants as well.

Burns also talked about how Mitch's late game turnovers prevented Gophers from winning bunch more games. Sounds like he thinks the ball is the program emphasis, better qb decision making being taught could be huge going forward.

He was also a little negative about how playing Croft in 2017 might scare off the 2018 QB recruit.

in other good news, heard Phil Howard was back practicing yesterday, so more depth at WR. Also heard Hunter Register is very enthusiastic, working hard with wr group.

Thank you for the practice updates. Not a knock against Fleck (honest!), but I much prefer hearing about what/how the players are doing than the coach. I'm disappointed to hear Poock is injured again and I hope Lingen is able to get healthy.

Thank you for the practice updates. Not a knock against Fleck (honest!), but I much prefer hearing about what/how the players are doing than the coach. I'm disappointed to hear Poock is injured again and I hope Lingen is able to get healthy.

Poock is recovering from the shoulder surgery last November. He is actually practicing a little now with limits.

Burns said Claeys used to stand 30 yards behind the play in practice and rarely interacted with team, couldn't hear him when he did. Said a lot of the staff byond Sawvel, Sherels, and Miller was non-communicative. Said once you were in the Brian Anderson doghouse, it was tough to get out. Said it is night and day how much more positivity and communication in practice from the head coach especially, but all the assistants as well.

Burns also talked about how Mitch's late game turnovers prevented Gophers from winning bunch more games. Sounds like he thinks the ball is the program emphasis, better qb decision making being taught could be huge going forward.

He was also a little negative about how playing Croft in 2017 might scare off the 2018 QB recruit.

in other good news, heard Phil Howard was back practicing yesterday, so more depth at WR. Also heard Hunter Register is very enthusiastic, working hard with wr group.

Yep, absolutely what Fleck is focusing on...has mentioned several times that T/O margin and TOP were major reasons for the level of success WMU had last year. Huge emphasis on getting and keeping the ball.

That is idiotic!! Every year is a new year and they should be playing to win now. If Croft is the best QB this year then he had damn well better be starting. This isn't the NFL where we'll get a better pick if we lose games.
Should we also not play (Insert Non-Senior) because of some guy we are recruiting at (same position)?

That is idiotic!! Every year is a new year and they should be playing to win now. If Croft is the best QB this year then he had damn well better be starting. This isn't the NFL where we'll get a better pick if we lose games.
Should we also not play (Insert Non-Senior) because of some guy we are recruiting at (same position)?

Completely agree- if you're being recruited as a D1 QB prospect you damn well better not me deterred by competition. If you are go somewhere else.

To be fair it wasn't him who said it was his co host who admitted he doesn't know much about football recruiting.

I saw Duke McGhee in one of the Spring practice high lights. I wonder if they will be able to teach him to tackle heads up and lower. He will be a key player for the defense this fall.

To be fair it wasn't him who said it was his co host who admitted he doesn't know much about football recruiting.

No, Burns said it.

Every program recruits a quarterback every year. Even if Croft is the starter, he'll be a senior when Armstrong gets to campus. Redshirt one year then start for four. That scenario, of course, also discounts any value Morgan might have. None of it makes sense.

No, Burns said it.

Every program recruits a quarterback every year. Even if Croft is the starter, he'll be a senior when Armstrong gets to campus. Redshirt one year then start for four. That scenario, of course, also discounts any value Morgan might have. None of it makes sense.

Right. It was Burns. Just listened. I laughed at that statement. No way PJF starts Rhoda for THAT reason.

I saw Duke McGhee in one of the Spring practice high lights. I wonder if they will be able to teach him to tackle heads up and lower. He will be a key player for the defense this fall.

Man I hope they can, would rather not lose him to crazy tackles as often...

Yep, absolutely what Fleck is focusing on...has mentioned several times that T/O margin and TOP were major reasons for the level of success WMU had last year. Huge emphasis on getting and keeping the ball.

Great news, not a lot of coaches emphasize winning the TO margin:clap:

Top Bottom