ESPN: With everyone back, Minnesota should be a Big Ten favorite next season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This is an ESPN Insider article which I don't have access to, but here is what is shown:

We continue our recruit and return series with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, whose season ended Thursday with a loss to Middle Tennessee in the South Region. Here is a look at what the 2017-18 season could hold:

Possible 2017-18 starting five:

G: Nate Mason

G: Dupree McBrayer

F: Amir Coffey

F: Jordan Murphy

C: Reggie Lynch

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=16894

Go Gophers!!

We continue our recruit and return series with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, whose season ended Thursday with a loss to Middle Tennessee in the South Region. Here is a look at what the 2017-18 season could hold:

Possible 2017-18 starting five:

G: Nate Mason

G: Dupree McBrayer

F: Amir Coffey

F: Jordan Murphy

C: Reggie Lynch

Who is lost: Coach Richard Pitino is losing only one player from the rotation, former Milwaukee graduate transfer Akeem Springs. Springs brought some veteran experience and 3-point shooting, nearly averaging double-figures. He had one stretch in Big Ten play in which he scored at least 14 points in five straight games.

Who is added: The Golden Gophers went to the New York area for their two freshmen for next season. ESPN 100 point guard Isaiah Washington is the classic New York City point guard: flashy, aggressive, can get into the lane against nearly any defender. Although he won’t beat Mason for the starting job, he’ll get minutes early. He’s joined by New Jersey shooting guard Jamir Harris, one of the best shooters on the East Coast in the 2017 class. Texas A&M transfer Davonte Fitzgerald is also eligible next season -- after sitting out 2015-16 because of transfer and 2016-17 after tearing his ACL in October.

What it means for next season: Minnesota brings back all five starters from what was one of the most surprising turnarounds in the country. Mason took a step forward as a playmaker, leading the team in scoring and assists while shooting better than 39 percent from 3-point range. Backcourt mate McBrayer can shoot it from the perimeter and came up big late in the season. Coffey was one of the most highly touted freshmen in school history, and he didn’t disappoint, scoring 30 points in his fifth career game and never looking back. He could become the go-to guy next season. Texas native Jordan Murphy was a double-double threat every night and had one stretch late in Big Ten play in which he averaged 17.6 points and 13.6 rebounds over seven games. Former Illinois State transfer Lynch was a dominant force on the defensive end, blocking 3.5 shots per game. He also cleaned up around the rim offensively. The 6-foot-9 forward Eric Curry is a solid frontcourt weapon off the bench.

Trending: Up. A year ago at this time, Pitino was on the hot seat. Now he’s coming off a 23-win regular season and will have his entire starting lineup back -- while bringing in an impact freshman in Washington. Minnesota will be one of the Big Ten favorites next season.

With everyone back...

Except our leading three-point shooter, excellent defender and senior leader - Akeem Springs.

Except our leading three-point shooter, excellent defender and senior leader - Akeem Springs.

Mason and Lynch should be able to lock down the senior leadership part, and hopefully Harris or McBrayer can pick up the 3 point shooting loss. Springs was a key part of last years team and is a significant loss but he is not the kind of talent that can't be replaced.

Baring injuries or off the court problems there is no reason this team should not contend for the Big Ten title next season and be in the mix for a relatively high seed in the tournament.

Anything short of a B1G championship, and a deep run in the NCAA tourney would be considered a huge disappointment. An extra year to develop some depth which I think killed your chances to get out of the first weekend this year. They should lock up Richard for as long as possible. I'd get my season tickets asap.

He was definitely the senior leader, but you can make an argument that McBrayer was a better all around player last year. He should continue to improve next year.

Anything short of a B1G championship, and a deep run in the NCAA tourney would be considered a huge disappointment. An extra year to develop some depth which I think killed your chances to get out of the first weekend this year. They should lock up Richard for as long as possible. I'd get my season tickets asap.

It would suck to go out early in the dance, but if we were in the chase for the Big Ten title to the end and got second or third and made it to the Sweet 16, I wouldn't consider it a disappointment. With that said winning the league should be one of the team's goals for next season

He was definitely the senior leader, but you can make an argument that McBrayer was a better all around player last year. He should continue to improve next year.

Ya it's not like were trying to replace Austin Hollins with Squirrel, McBreyer can play and we have some nice recruits coming in and we may not be done either

Yowza. College basketball is generally unpredictable outside of the elite-level blue blood schools. Sentences starting with "anything less than..." typically lead to major disappointment. Especially when said goals are incredibly high. There's not a whole lot of margin for error. Winning the Big 10 requires probably at minimum 14 conf wins and a deep run in the tournament is the most unpredictable thing ever given even in a year where we saw so few upsets: a 1 seed, two 2s and a 3 didn't make it out of the first weekend.

Let's just keep winning 20-something games, get to the tournament and maybe win a game or two there too. "title or bust" stuff looks better on Kansas and Duke because when they choke, we can laugh at them.

Top Bottom