WNBA Draft

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...as-davis-and-gray-enter-wnba-draft/100018850/

Two people familiar with the situation say South Carolina's Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray have decided to enter the WNBA draft.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press on Tuesday because the list of early entrants to the draft isn't public. The pair helped South Carolina win its first national championship on Sunday and had 24 hours to declare their intent.

The South Carolina players could still change their mind and go back to school for their final seasons. The league allows players up to five days before the April 13 draft to rescind their decision if they haven't signed with an agent

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the lynx should look at trying to trade up into the top 5 of the draft to try and get either Gray or Davis? I feel either would be a young gun who could contribute right away off the bench. Plus either one could spell Seimone or Maya. Personally my view is the only untouchables for trading is the starting 5. While I would hesitate to trade Natasha Howard, I wouldn't say she is off the table. Maybe see if they could Trade with Chicago or the 2nd pick or one of the Dallas picks. Personally I would rather have Davis then Gray but I think Davis will be one of the top 2 picks.

Other options if we stick at 12 I think will be

Romero from Florida St
Jankoska from Michigan St
Sydney Wiese from Oregon St

I know this year there won't be any gophers in the WNBA draft...but what is everyone's opinion on the future...Wagner? Hubbard? Maybe Bell?

The WNBA is my primary thing, so you can expect me to be very opinionated :cool:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the lynx should look at trying to trade up into the top 5 of the draft to try and get either Gray or Davis?

It'd be nice if it didn't cost much, but I don't see it happening. Reeve never gets excited or overly invested in rookies unless they're at Maya level. They're returning with nearly the same team they had last year, a team that was one egregious call and one desperate shot from Ogwumike from winning the title.

I feel either would be a young gun who could contribute right away off the bench. Plus either one could spell Seimone or Maya.

Yeah, that would make Hampton (who isn't signed yet) expendable.

Personally my view is the only untouchables for trading is the starting 5. While I would hesitate to trade Natasha Howard, I wouldn't say she is off the table.

Oh, Howard is definitely untouchable. The Lynx were very lucky that Howard turned out as good as she did, considering the Peters trade was forced. Without Howard, the Lynx would be only three deep in the post, all over 30. That would be risky business. The Lynx went 4 posts last year and we're lucky the starter posts didn't suffer injuries, but down the stretch McCarville got hurt and it ended up biting the Lynx. This year since the posts are another year older, I'd like the Lynx keep the 4 signed posts they have now (they added Pierson and apparently dumped McCarville), and draft a big with their top pick at #12. I'll tell you who I want later on.

Maybe see if they could Trade with Chicago or the 2nd pick or one of the Dallas picks. Personally I would rather have Davis then Gray but I think Davis will be one of the top 2 picks.

I lean towards Davis myself, but Gray is getting a lot of buzz for her consistency in college. But I envision Davis as the better player at the next level.

Other options if we stick at 12 I think will be

Romero from Florida St
Jankoska from Michigan St
Sydney Wiese from Oregon St

Okay, my primary target is Osahor, who wasn't invited to the draft, so that might help her be available. Her game has similar qualities to McCarville, and if the Lynx can get her to lose 20-40 lbs, she'll be a big bargain at #12. As she is she'd be good for ten minutes as the 5th post.

Then with the second pick at #24, the Lynx can pick up any one of the abundant guards in this class. I wouldn't mind giving Fitzgerald from Temple a shot. Chong might be available there. A lot of possibilities for guards. This pick would only be a placeholder until they sign Cruz whenever she's done with Eurobasket obligations. If the guard they pick up turns out to be too good to cut, then I guess they can suspend Cruz.

They have a deferred draft pick in USC center Temi ***benle the Lynx could sign to compete for the rookie post spot. That's my vision for the Lynx. The odds of it all happening is probably not that good, but hopefully better than some of the other suggestions I've seen.

I would guess Wagner is a "no." Too early to tell on the other two.

Wagner was actually eligible for this year's draft, but she didn't declare. I could see the Lynx drafting her in the third round as they have with Gopher players in the past. Being a gym rat, she actually has some good qualities to be a pro, but she's probably a long shot to survive.... but you never know until you try.

Top Bottom