Fleck started a new period at practice other “coaches are going to think is crazy"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Fleck started a new period at practice other “coaches are going to think is crazy"

per Football Scoop:

Minnesota’s practice over the weekend looked almost exactly the same as their other spring practice formats, except for one long scrimmage session.

It was something that just started as an idea for PJ Fleck and his staff, but as Fleck stood back and watched what it was teaching his guys, and forcing his coaching staff to do, he admits that he started to think he may be on to something.

“We pulled every team period out, so our offensive and defensive lines had about an hour-and-a-half of just individual. Then I did something that I have never done in my entire life – and you want to talk about being creative – we ran a 7-on-7 scrimmage. It was interesting.”

“It was amazing. We were constantly rotating receivers in and out, so you had to get that communication done, which is priceless on game day, you had to get elite communication. We had to cover and use all of our coverage techniques and coverage schemes with zero pass rush. We had to just play coverage, and just play our offense, without any type of running game.”

Fleck also admits it’s an idea that some coaches are going to think he’s crazy for doing.

“I thought that it was priceless. I’m standing back there starting to think – ‘I’ve never done this before. I’ve never seen it. Coaches are going to think I’m crazy for installing it. What are we doing?’ But as I sit there and watch it, I’m going ‘we’re on to something. This is awesome. We might do this a lot more because we can’t rely on our pass rush to get somewhere.’ If the quarterback is back there for six seconds, then we have to be able to cover for six seconds.”

“It was priceless today. We got close to 50 reps today of just 7-on-7 scrimmage.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/pj-fleck-started-new-period-practice-coaches-going-think-crazy/

Go Gophers!!

Dear PJ,

Really it doesn't seem that crazy. Gotta run drills where the lines aren't the leading factor....... mostly because we don't have much of either.

Well, Im sure there are some other coaches that think PJF is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Im sure there are some other coaches that think PJF is crazy.
"Think" he is crazy? They are confident he is crazy. This actually seems very reasonable considering he has very few healthy OLs and they want to keep them from injury.

Am I reading this wrong or did I just read an article that basically states running 7-on-7 drills is crazy?

Am I reading this wrong or did I just read an article that basically states running 7-on-7 drills is crazy?

The article leads you to believe that this may the first time it has ever been done. Don't they have 7-on-7 leagues in the off-season in TX,FL, etc.?

I don't really care if Fleck is crazy, I just want him to win some damn games.

I think they scrimmaged 7 on 7 with tackling. Either with no rules or different rules/limitations than they normally are restricted to. That's the sense I get. Whatever, it was obviously different than the norm.

Pass skelly, every team everywhere does it, I have to think there was something missed in the interview or some miscommunication or something.

Call me crazy, but this year we are going to practice with helmets.

I think they scrimmaged 7 on 7 with tackling. Either with no rules or different rules/limitations than they normally are restricted to. That's the sense I get. Whatever, it was obviously different than the norm.

Yep, that was my take as well. AAU 7-on-7. I think it's a great move by Fleck to ramp up learning of the passing game scheme, and bet it is fun for the players...maybe he uses it as a carrot for the end of elite practices. Guessing many of the newer players had played in leagues in HS if available.

Give the lines a nice break and/or more time to work on specific things.

Call me crazy, but this year we are going to practice with helmets.

OK, you are crazy. Guess you'll be easy to spot for the rest of us attending practices...

His willingness to try crazy stuff is why PJ remains undefeated this spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 on 7 pass skeleton is usually limited contact, and may involve a little slower pace to allow for instruction on techinique and coverage/formation adjustments.
I think what Fleck is suggesting that, in lieu of 11 on 11 scrimmaging, they are using a scrimmage pace, full contact, passing scrimmage without OL and DL, which then places more pressure on the Defense to cover receivers since there is no pressure on the QB except perhaps a time limit. It should help develop the pass defense, but it doesn't help the QB as much and certainly doesn't help the run offense or defense develop. Still, it is a more intense way to develop the pass game, defensively and offensively.

Haven't they been doing this in really small towns for about 100 years and simply calling it "football"?

7 on 7 pass skeleton is usually limited contact, and may involve a little slower pace to allow for instruction on techinique and coverage/formation adjustments.
I think what Fleck is suggesting that, in lieu of 11 on 11 scrimmaging, they are using a scrimmage pace, full contact, passing scrimmage without OL and DL, which then places more pressure on the Defense to cover receivers since there is no pressure on the QB except perhaps a time limit. It should help develop the pass defense, but it doesn't help the QB as much and certainly doesn't help the run offense or defense develop. Still, it is a more intense way to develop the pass game, defensively and offensively.

I believe you are correct.

May I suggest that folks complaining to the mods about certain coaching debates read this thread. It is why GH rocks. Well done guys. LOL.

Top Bottom