College Basketball's Biggest Night was nearly unwatchable

LakerFan

Reaction score
There have been times where I have dismissed people who bemoan how far the game has fallen since kids started leaving early for the NBA. Last night made me start to wonder if college basketball can maintain it's status long term as must see tv.

I think in general we tune into sporting events to see elite level athletes do amazing things. Last night looked like a pickup game at the Y. Guys missing open shots everywhere, big men who can't finish from 2-3 feet away. Mixed in with watching some of the worst free throw shooting since they changed the 3 to make 2 rule because we couldn't stand watching Wilt miss three in a row. Where else can you see guys clang shot after shot off the iron?

Yes the refs destroyed the flow of the game, but when guys regularly miss both free throw, why would you NOT hack?

Yes, last nights game was hard to watch.

However, the two games Saturday were very entertaining and much better player. As were the games before that (UNC/Kentucky, South Carolina/Gonzaga)

One ****ty game doesn't mean college basketball is ruined. If you want better shooting, stop playing in football stadiums.

I moaned and groaned as much as the next guy last night, but I'm not going to condemn an entire level of competition because of one bad night of basketball. You can have your NBA. The theoretical league where every player made all their shots and free throws and never turned the ball over would be uninteresting to say the least.

Yes, last nights game was hard to watch.

However, the two games Saturday were very entertaining and much better player. As were the games before that (UNC/Kentucky, South Carolina/Gonzaga)

One ****ty game doesn't mean college basketball is ruined. If you want better shooting, stop playing in football stadiums.

Pretty sure on Saturday only two guys for North Carolina showed up. Berry was unwatchable that game too. But 2 guys showing up was enough to beat an Oregon team that shot 32% in the second half and 17% from 3. At least they could make free throws in that game but watching Jackson and Meeks make garbage baskets while Oregon can't buy a shot isn't must see TV. A close game isn't necessarily a good game.

I know you can't blame it on just the refs, but the refs had a dramatic effect on how the game was played. It is difficult to shoot with no background in a football stadium. That is a real factor too. Having said that, the Gophers finished as a #4 seed in the Big Ten, a #18 seed in the NCAA field and they don't have one guy we'd all agree is an NBA player someday. Not one guy who makes you go...wow, he's good two games in a row! I do think college basketball used to be better but the refs were the reason it wasn't enjoyable to watch for me....they had a major impact on the game.

There have been times where I have dismissed people who bemoan how far the game has fallen since kids started leaving early for the NBA. Last night made me start to wonder if college basketball can maintain it's status long term as must see tv.

I think in general we tune into sporting events to see elite level athletes do amazing things. Last night looked like a pickup game at the Y. Guys missing open shots everywhere, big men who can't finish from 2-3 feet away. Mixed in with watching some of the worst free throw shooting since they changed the 3 to make 2 rule because we couldn't stand watching Wilt miss three in a row. Where else can you see guys clang shot after shot off the iron?

Yes the refs destroyed the flow of the game, but when guys regularly miss both free throw, why would you NOT hack?

Agreed. It was flat unwatchable. I was happy when the game was over. Gonzaga had 3 made field goals in the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half. Both teams were in the bonus after 4 minutes of the 2nd half. Neither team could hit an open shot from 4 feet away. Ugly basketball that was unworthy of a championship game.

Agreed. It was flat unwatchable. I was happy when the game was over. Gonzaga had 3 made field goals in the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half. Both teams were in the bonus after 4 minutes of the 2nd half. Neither team could hit an open shot from 4 feet away. Ugly basketball that was unworthy of a championship game.

Um ... slight correction; the Polish guy couldn't hit a shot under 4 feet away.

I know you can't blame it on just the refs, but the refs had a dramatic effect on how the game was played. It is difficult to shoot with no background in a football stadium. That is a real factor too. Having said that, the Gophers finished as a #4 seed in the Big Ten, a #18 seed in the NCAA field and they don't have one guy we'd all agree is an NBA player someday. Not one guy who makes you go...wow, he's good two games in a row! I do think college basketball used to be better but the refs were the reason it wasn't enjoyable to watch for me....they had a major impact on the game.

NBA has adapted rules and play to having large athletic players on the court. College is falling behind. Last night was football on hardwood. Clutching, grabbing and pushing all night, put officials in a tough spot. Had it not been a football game, the officials would not have needed to blow the whistle. The play dictated the picking and choosing of what to call to keep players on the floor. Hard to foul if open shots are being made.

Fouls were 22-22, teams missed 35 3-point shots, had 18 turnovers, shot under 35%, and missed 18 free throws. All in all there were about 122 loose balls created by the players. Fouls are going to occur.

Game was garbage.

Um ... slight correction; the Polish guy couldn't hit a shot under 4 feet away.

UNC missed a few even wider open shots like that in the first half. But yeah, the lack of inside game killed the zags.

NBA has adapted rules and play to having large athletic players on the court. College is falling behind. Last night was football on hardwood. Clutching, grabbing and pushing all night, put officials in a tough spot. Had it not been a football game, the officials would not have needed to blow the whistle. The play dictated the picking and choosing of what to call to keep players on the floor. Hard to foul if open shots are being made.

Fouls were 22-22, teams missed 35 3-point shots, had 18 turnovers, shot under 35%, and missed 18 free throws. All in all there were about 122 loose balls created by the players. Fouls are going to occur.

Game was garbage.

A lot of those over the back calls were weak and ticky tack, and lots of questionable calls away from the ball. If the game is too physical, fine. But I can't believe that at some point they didn't pull back and let them play a little bit. Sometimes you call a lot of fouls early in a half, the players adjust, and you can let them play a bit. They just kept calling fouls.

At least it wasn't UConn-Butler. That is the worst game I've ever seen in my life.

Top Bottom