Permanent seat expansion will not happen until -

Rog

Reaction score
If the main stadium fills with season tickets, temp seats will be added in the open end and if( and if is a big word) and after a few years it looks like the demand is there
repeatably, then permanent expansion will take place. they will take down the temp open end seats and those season ticket ales will be asked to move to the 3rd deck.
I don't think this will happen to hastily. (pr0bably7 not in my lifetime. But at my age that is not to far in the future...

Since we're all here, can anyone confirm (and provide sourcing) for statement I've seen on GH that we can do 10k seat increments for seats? I suspect that's possible, but I always thought it would be all of the extra deck on North stands or nothing (for up to 30k more seats).

Since we're all here, can anyone confirm (and provide sourcing) for statement I've seen on GH that we can do 10k seat increments for seats? I suspect that's possible, but I always thought it would be all of the extra deck on North stands or nothing (for up to 30k more seats).

The roof on that side is basically open. If it was designed for whatever I don't know.

But I see no reason why they couldn't do almost any number a bit at a time.

If they would choose to do so who knows. If that day comes I suspect HOW they do it would be more a political / fundraising question rather than real logistics.

The only real restriction I know if is that the number of sets expanded has to add up to be a prime number for any given phase of the expansion. It's Minnesota law.

If the main stadium fills with season tickets, temp seats will be added in the open end and if( and if is a big word) and after a few years it looks like the demand is there
repeatably, then permanent expansion will take place. they will take down the temp open end seats and those season ticket ales will be asked to move to the 3rd deck.
I don't think this will happen to hastily. (pr0bably7 not in my lifetime. But at my age that is not to far in the future...

1) the open end should stay open and was never planned to be an expansion area
2) The north and east sides were designed for the expansion. That's where it should be.
3) all that said, we shouldn't expand until we can consistently sell out every game for 5 years.

At least the expansion will add more sunny-side seats. We all agree those are best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't provide the sourcing you've asked for, but I took a tour during construction and asked that specific question. I was told that, in theory, expansion could be done in stages. However, because the costs of adding seating in stages would be much higher than doing it all at once, it would most likely be a onetime project.

If we beat Wisconsin and Iowa the next three years in a row and PJ wants to expand the seating, I'll chip in.

The roof on that side is basically open. If it was designed for whatever I don't know.

But I see no reason why they couldn't do almost any number a bit at a time.

If they would choose to do so who knows. If that day comes I suspect HOW they do it would be more a political / fundraising question rather than real logistics.

The only real restriction I know if is that the number of sets expanded has to add up to be a prime number for any given phase of the expansion. It's Minnesota law.
The bill was written by Sen Euclid (DFL) of Alexandria, no doubt.

I can't provide the sourcing you've asked for, but I took a tour during construction and asked that specific question. I was told that, in theory, expansion could be done in stages. However, because the costs of adding seating in stages would be much higher than doing it all at once, it would most likely be a onetime project.

If we need to go from 50,000 to 80,000 in one fell swoop, it will never happen.

How big do we have to get before we can start playing 'Rocky Top' constantly?

If we need to go from 50,000 to 80,000 in one fell swoop, it will never happen.

I tend to agree that 80k would be too much anyway. If we went to 70k in a few years and had the ability to do the temporary seat thing to add another 3k-ish for high demand, that 20k jump seems less likely to screw up seat availability and pricing. I still think it'll be 3 victories over Becky before it's even discussed.

I tend to agree that 80k would be too much anyway. If we went to 70k in a few years and had the ability to do the temporary seat thing to add another 3k-ish for high demand, that 20k jump seems less likely to screw up seat availability and pricing. I still think it'll be 3 victories over Becky before it's even discussed.

If those 3 victories are accompanied by at least 8+ other regular season wins each season. Even then, demand and a wait list will determine it more than anything else. Place has to be full and secondary market has to be pretty hot for several years for it to get in the conversation. Need to pay off the Athlete's Village before as well.

We can dream though...

OK. At the risk of being the downer, why do others care what the capacity is? I was asked why I don't care and I want to know why others do. If we are die hard Gopher fans why do we care if 50K or 80K others are. Is it a desire to be part of a group. I just don't get it???

OK. At the risk of being the downer, why do others care what the capacity is? I was asked why I don't care and I want to know why others do. If we are die hard Gopher fans why do we care if 50K or 80K others are. Is it a desire to be part of a group. I just don't get it???

All the more reasonable stuff aside. I guess I'd pick 80k of fans in a stadium over 50k just for the extra atmosphere and such....

All the more reasonable stuff aside. I guess I'd pick 80k of fans in a stadium over 50k just for the extra atmosphere and such....

Fair enough, but I would pick 50K in a 50K stadium over 60K in a 80K stadium any day. Not sayin you wouldn't, just sayin.

Third decks are so cool! They make the players look like little people.

Oh, I just wanted to get 20k more sunny side seats so we can put the visiting fans over there to freeze and all the Goph fans will be together.

In all seriousness, I want them mainly because it will mean we've had great success and I think it will bump recruiting up some too (assuming they're full or near full).

More seats means more potential revenue for the program.

Even if there's only 60k fans at a game in a 80k capacity after the upgrade, that's still a lot of extra tickets sold. Ticket revenue, parking, concessions, etc.

The stadium was designed for expansion to 80K to be done in 10K increments as been stated. Also the utilities, etc are in place already for the expansion if and when needed.
I also believe that even tho we have many (to many to count) pro teams there is plenty of room for a 80K stadium for the U. I understand that the metro area now is about 3 1/2 million and growing. Also, the area around the U does not have another Div team for many miles. Wisc did it (even with the Packers) and we could also. BUT, it has to be proven that we would sustain
and bring back our winning records that we had years back.

Top Bottom