Destiny Slocum leaving Maryland

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
Just saw that Slocum is going to transfer from Maryland. anyone else shocked by this move?

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/4/4/15118796/maryland-destiny-slocum-transferring-ncaaw

Yes I am, I kept looking for another source and at the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st. But here's the Swish Appeal story

Multiple sources have informed Swish Appeal, that Slocum — WBCA National Freshman of the Year — has decided to transfer and will be leaving Maryland.

When reached for comment, Terrapins head coach Brenda Frese had this to say:

"We would like to thank Destiny and her family for their contributions to Maryland this year. I truly enjoyed coaching Destiny, and her energy she brought every day. I had many long conversations with her over the season, and we spent a lot of time together. Our staff is proud of the commitment we put into Destiny’s development and all the accomplishments she achieved this season. We wish her continued success as she moves forward."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/

Here's the Baltimore Sun.

Frese has kept her program on top in the wake of previous transfers, including the departure of point guard Lexie Brown in 2015, after the Terps had made two consecutive Final Fours.

But Maryland’s roster will be unusually devoid of star power heading into 2017-2018, given Slocum’s transfer and the graduation of senior All-Americans Brionna Jones and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough.

Those three players combined to average 50.2 points a game for the 32-3 Terps. No one else averaged more than 9.7.

There’s no obvious replacement for Slocum in Maryland’s incoming recruiting class...

...In a late-January interview, Slocum said she initially thought Maryland was too far away from her family’s home in Meridian, Idaho. She had helped nurse her mother through breast cancer and had grown up with her father coaching her every day.

Does Maryland have any recruits for next year? I haven't heard of any commits or signees. Without Slocum, SWK and Jones, this team will really have a drop off. Big Ten really may be Ohio St then all the rest next year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/

Here's the Baltimore Sun.

Frese has kept her program on top in the wake of previous transfers, including the departure of point guard Lexie Brown in 2015, after the Terps had made two consecutive Final Fours.

But Maryland’s roster will be unusually devoid of star power heading into 2017

The article also states "Freshman center Jenna Staiti and sophomore forward Kiah Gillespie, both reserves in 2016-2017, will also transfer"

wow. wonder whats going on there

Does Maryland have any recruits for next year? I haven't heard of any commits or signees. Without Slocum, SWK and Jones, this team will really have a drop off. Big Ten really may be Ohio St then all the rest next year.

Here's an article from January 30, 2017 when Shakira Austin (2018) committed:

The Terps don’t have any recruits lined up in the Class of 2017, but the addition of transfer Eleanna Christinaki and returns of Kiara Leslie and Aja Ellison should still help the team have a different look after seniors Brionna Jones and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough leave. Maryland had a six-player class in 2016, so skipping a year isn’t totally surprising.

http://www.testudotimes.com/marylan...30/14435448/shakira-austin-commits-2018-class

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211546991

The Maryland release:

Slocum, a native of Meridian, Idaho, started in 34 of 35 games for the Terrapins (32-3), and averaged 11.5 points and 6.0 assists per game. She earned All-Big Ten Second Team and All-Big Ten Freshman Team honors.

"I’m grateful for my time at Maryland and the opportunity,” Slocum said “I want to thank my teammates and coaches and all the fans for their support this season. I’ve put a lot of thought and prayer into this decision. I've talked with my family and Coach B a great deal and have decided to continue my college career elsewhere.”

Gillespie, who hails from Meriden, Conn., saw action in 66 games over her two seasons in College Park, averaging 5.1 points, 3.2 rebounds with 45 blocks and 24 steals.

“I would like to thank Coach Frese, the staff, my teammates and the Maryland fans for the opportunity to win 90 percent of our games and two back-to-back Big Ten championships,” Gillespie said. “During these past two years, I have learned so much and have developed great bonds that go beyond basketball. I truly feel blessed to have had this opportunity. It pains me to leave, but I feel that it is best for me and my future to do so at this time.”

Staiti, a native of Cumming, Ga., played in 25 games this season, notching 75 points, 51 rebounds and 14 blocks.

“I would like to thank Coach B for the opportunity to get to play for a great coach like she is,” Staiti said. “It has been an honor to wear the Maryland uniform. I would like to thank all of the coaching and support staff for everything they have done for me this year. I would also like to thank my teammates for being the amazing support system and family away from home to me. They are my sisters. I have made a decision, due to personal family issues, that being closer to home is in the best interests of our family.”

“It is always difficult to see young people leave your program, but after many years in coaching and life experiences, I have a much broader perspective on life and the challenges that come along the way,” Frese said. “We’re excited about the great depth and talent on our roster. We will continue to play at the Maryland standard we’ve set for our program.”

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/article142651089.html

More from Idaho:

“She is super homesick,” Christina Slocum told the Idaho Statesman on March 21.

Slocum originally committed to Washington in September 2014 from a final four that included Duke, UCLA and Oregon. She reopened her recruiting in April 2015 before eventually settling on Maryland.

A source close to Slocum said Tuesday that “any program west of the Mississippi could be in the mix — from Stanford to Boise State to Baylor.”

“She is going to take visits and make a decision when she feels it’s right,” the source added.

Another source close to the situation confirmed Boise State would be interested.

Mike Neighbors, the head coach who originally recruited Slocum at Washington, left the Huskies for the head job at Arkansas on Monday. His departure could factor into Slocum’s decision.

...Playing at a university closer to home would allow Slocum to see her family on a more consistent basis. At Maryland, many of her teammates were from the East Coast and able to go home on the weekends.

“It was kind of hard,” the source said

This is a shocker. What's going on at Maryland? I realize that transfers happen, but Slocum (and Brown from a few years ago) were key players. I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Freese, but she's built a really solid program there and she can flat out coach.

Being homesick came right from her mom's mouth. How do we know we can trust Jay Tust?

Being homesick came right from her mom's mouth. How do we know we can trust Jay Tust?

I am totally believing the homesick thing. I think she may say something different now because "homesick" sounds like a little kid thing and she may not like the sound of it since it got plastered all over news stories. She's going back west. Maybe homesick isn't the right term but she misses it and wasn't she the one who also mentioned how everyone else was home on weekdays and she was alone on campus?

She hasn't followed a ton of new people on Twitter recently but one she has added is Scott Rueck from Oregon State. Is a seven-hour drive close enough?

She hasn't followed a ton of new people on Twitter recently but one she has added is Scott Rueck from Oregon State. Is a seven-hour drive close enough?

That would be awesome and a perfect fit for her. Scott has built a powerhouse from a disaster left behind by the previous coach. Third straight conference title in a row this year. His players love him. He is a fantastic coach that has recruited for brains, selflessness, and character as much as physical skills. He has an interesting take on the differences between coaching men and women. "Men have to win to be happy and women have to be happy to win."
He must have happy players. Team is is 90-14 the last three years.

Top Bottom