Projected 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge Pairings

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
What we know for certain.

Duke and Illinois have played at home each of the last two challenges, so they'll both be on the road. Purdue and Wake Forest have played on the road each of the last two challenges, so they'll both play at home.

Rematches do occur in the Challenge, but these projections exclude any from this past season to the 2017-18 season.

Projected ACC Home Teams: Boston College, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

Projected B1G Road Teams: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin,

Projected B1G Home Teams: Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers

Projected ACC Road Teams: Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame, Virginia

Projected Non-Participant: Pitt

Projected Pairings
Clemson (ACC R7) @ Rutgers (B1G H6)
Duke (ACC R1) @ Purdue (B1G H3)
Florida State (ACC R6) @ Nebraska (B1G H7)
Illinois (B1G R7) @ Boston College (ACC H7)
Indiana (B1G R5) @ Georgia Tech (ACC H5)
Louisville (ACC R2) @ Minnesota (B1G H2)
Maryland (B1G R1) @ Virginia Tech (ACC H3)
Miami (ACC R4) @ Ohio State (B1G H5)
Michigan (B1G R3) @ North Carolina (ACC H1)
Northwestern (B1G R2) @ Syracuse (ACC H2)
Notre Dame (ACC R3) @ Michigan State (B1G H1)
Penn State (B1G R6) @ NC State (ACC H6)
Virginia (ACC R5) @ Iowa (B1G H4)
Wisconsin (B1G R4) @ Wake Forest (ACC H4)

The Indiana media is reporting that IU will be at home for a second consecutive year in the challenge.

The Indiana media is reporting that IU will be at home for a second consecutive year in the challenge.

Yep, I'm sure there will be one or two of those. Taking a best guess.

If that's the case hopefully Hoosiers wouldn't steal Duke or Louisville home game from the Gophers, but I wouldn't put it past the two commissioners. Brand names get taken care of first.

who or what determines the 2 years in a row on the road or at home? is it just other game scheduling? seems unfair to tell a team they have to miss a home game against an ACC team because team X scheduled too many other road games in non conference.

If that's the case hopefully Hoosiers wouldn't steal Duke or Louisville home game from the Gophers, but I wouldn't put it past the two commissioners. Brand names get taken care of first.

I would think they would prefer a ranked Gopher team over an Indiana team that could be a mess.

Vegas has Indiana 20 to 1 to win the national title. The Gophers are 100 to 1. Surprising to me...

Louisville at Minnesota would beat Louisville at Indiana for many reasons:

1. Two ranked teams ensures National Broadcast preferred time slot.

2. Pitino vs. Pitino also ensures a National Broadcast preferred slot.

3. Possible game of the week contender.

I think MN v Louisville makes the most sense. If IU is home then they get either Duke or ND makes sense to play at IU more than louisville.

But I really have no idea as the projected top 3 BIG teams next year would be MN, PUR and MSU... not likely that all of these 3 play home games in the challenge.

who or what determines the 2 years in a row on the road or at home? is it just other game scheduling? seems unfair to tell a team they have to miss a home game against an ACC team because team X scheduled too many other road games in non conference.

John Swofford (ACC Commish), Jim Delany (Big 10 Commish) & Andy Katz decide the matchups.

Louisville coming to the barn this year with the team we have coming back would be absolutely phenomenal. Would absolutely love to see Richard beat his dad which he would have a realistic shot at.

If Duke came, I'd love it if we could stick it to Gary Trent as well.

Louisville at Minnesota would beat Louisville at Indiana for many reasons:

1. Two ranked teams ensures National Broadcast preferred time slot.

2. Pitino vs. Pitino also ensures a National Broadcast preferred slot.

3. Possible game of the week contender.

I'm fairly sure that IU and Louisville are scheduled to play next year in a regular non-conference game so that obviously won't a B1G-ACC challenge game. IU also plays ND next year in Indianapolis so that's another IU won't face in the challenge.

Indiana & Georgia Tech just played in the NIT. Don't know if that has any bearing on things, but I'd think that both fan bases wouldn't be excited about seeing each other again.

If Duke comes to town, I say go for the cash grab and make that the game at US Bank Stadium.

Vegas has Indiana 20 to 1 to win the national title. The Gophers are 100 to 1. Surprising to me...

Vegas trying to induce Indiana fans to bet by indirectly "endorsing" the team as being better than they are. Classic Vegas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Duke comes to town, I say go for the cash grab and make that the game at US Bank Stadium.

No, I want that in the barn, we can play a different team in the Bank. That's the kind of bull **** Coach K will try to pull to get out of a true road game

Yeah I think it would be pretty cool to see Duke at the Barn. Coach K may not be able to get up and down from the floor with all of the health issues he's had lately.

No, I want that in the barn, we can play a different team in the Bank. That's the kind of bull **** Coach K will try to pull to get out of a true road game

K might actually prefer to play the game in the Barn for all we know. I am just saying get the cash and allow more Minnesota fans to enjoy the game in "The People's Stadium".

And Duke would take the cash. Make them play on the raised floor in the Barn, so they can get practice in for the Final Four.

My money is still on UVa, with ND second most likely.

And Duke would take the cash. Make them play on the raised floor in the Barn, so they can get practice in for the Final Four.

Why would Duke get the cash? I assumed that the home team controls the gate. Any floor at US Bank will also be raised.

K might actually prefer to play the game in the Barn for all we know. I am just saying get the cash and allow more Minnesota fans to enjoy the game in "The People's Stadium".

I doubt it since Duke never schedules a true road game in the non-conference.

I doubt it since Duke never schedules a true road game in the non-conference.

I don't know that we are in a place to throw stones there. I mean, we played one road game in non-conf last year, and it wasn't even something we scheduled ourselves. And we played more non-conf home games than anyone in the country.

Sitting 200 yards from the court?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Projected Pairings
Clemson (ACC R7) @ Rutgers (B1G H6)
Duke (ACC R1) @ Purdue (B1G H3)
Florida State (ACC R6) @ Nebraska (B1G H7)
Illinois (B1G R7) @ Boston College (ACC H7)
Indiana (B1G R5) @ Georgia Tech (ACC H5)
Louisville (ACC R2) @ Minnesota (B1G H2)
Maryland (B1G R1) @ Virginia Tech (ACC H3)
Miami (ACC R4) @ Ohio State (B1G H5)
Michigan (B1G R3) @ North Carolina (ACC H1)
Northwestern (B1G R2) @ Syracuse (ACC H2)
Notre Dame (ACC R3) @ Michigan State (B1G H1)
Penn State (B1G R6) @ NC State (ACC H6)
Virginia (ACC R5) @ Iowa (B1G H4)
Wisconsin (B1G R4) @ Wake Forest (ACC H4)

I'll take a stab as well. Only difference in terms of home/away teams is that I have Notre Dame getting another home game this year and BC playing on the road. I also have Pitt sitting this one out.

Nebraska vs Boston College
Rutgers vs Clemson
Penn State at NC State
Ohio State vs Florida State
Illinois at Georgia Tech
Indiana at Wake Forest
Iowa vs Virginia
Maryland at Syracuse
Wisconsin at Virginia Tech
Northwestern at Notre Dame
Purdue vs Duke
Michigan at North Carolina
Minnesota vs Miami
Michigan St vs Louisville

If Indiana does end up getting a home game my guess is Ohio State goes on the road and they swap opponents.

I don't know that we are in a place to throw stones there. I mean, we played one road game in non-conf last year, and it wasn't even something we scheduled ourselves. And we played more non-conf home games than anyone in the country.

You have to go back to 2010-11 to find the last time Duke played a non-conference true road game outside of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, which was a game against UNC Greensboro, about an hour's drive from Durham. Before that, it looks like they played @Michigan in 2008-09. Since, and including, 2008-09, we've played @Colorado State, @St. Joseph's, @USC, @Richmond, and then @Arkansas this coming season. You could maybe even throw in our game against St. John's at Madison Square Garden if you're being generous. By comparsion, North Carolina has played 5 true road non-conference games in the last 3 seasons alone (again, not counting Big Ten/ACC Challenge games): @Hawaii, @Kentucky, @UNC Greensboro, @Northern Iowa, and @Texas. Kansas likewise seems to do one or two each season.

For being a top team year in and year out, Duke does seem to have a marked reluctance to play on an opponent's turf if they can avoid it.

You have to go back to 2010-11 to find the last time Duke played a non-conference true road game outside of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, which was a game against UNC Greensboro, about an hour's drive from Durham. Before that, it looks like they played @Michigan in 2008-09. Since, and including, 2008-09, we've played @Colorado State, @St. Joseph's, @USC, @Richmond, and then @Arkansas this coming season. You could maybe even throw in our game against St. John's at Madison Square Garden if you're being generous. By comparsion, North Carolina has played 5 true road non-conference games in the last 3 seasons alone (again, not counting Big Ten/ACC Challenge games): @Hawaii, @Kentucky, @UNC Greensboro, @Northern Iowa, and @Texas. Kansas likewise seems to do one or two each season.

For being a top team year in and year out, Duke does seem to have a marked reluctance to play on an opponent's turf if they can avoid it.

That leaves out UNLV in Las Vegas and Rhode Island in Uncasville (10 hrs from Durham, 30 min from URI's campus) this year. I'm not gonna look it up, but I know in the last five years or so they've also played vs Iowa State in Chicago, vs Oregon in Portland, vs St. John's at MSG multiple times (and are playing them there again next year), vs Temple in Philly. Those are just the ones I remember.

And it works both ways. I'd guess lots of coaches would like to avoid playing Duke in Cameron. So instead of a home and home they just play one neutral site game.

Top Bottom