Gaelin Elmore visiting Oklahoma

I wish nothing but the best for this young man. Hope he finds a good situation to finish out his career.

Will be cheering for him, wherever he ends up.
Great representative of Gopher Football.

I guess I don't hold him in that much esteem. Seems to me like he is quitting on his university - quitting on his teammates - and the least, quitting on his fans who cheered and supported him these past years. Being able to adjust to new circumstances(new coaches) is a big step in developing employable skills. I don't think this attitude - quitting the team- would fly with the NFL.

I guess I don't hold him in that much esteem. Seems to me like he is quitting on his university - quitting on his teammates - and the least, quitting on his fans who cheered and supported him these past years. Being able to adjust to new circumstances(new coaches) is a big step in developing employable skills. I don't think this attitude - quitting the team- would fly with the NFL.

I feel a "meaning of quitting" pissing contest about to begin...

You've got to be kidding about the NFL part. They are paid mercenaries with little loyalty to city, state, or team. The owners are even worse. Two reasons I've largely stopped following the day to day machinations of the NFL.

Regarding Elmore he has some really nice opportunities. Good luck to this high character and brave young man. I hope he ends up somewhere he has a chance to start.

I couldn't disagree more.

We don't want to lose grad transfers, but we would love to have them. Would we refuse a talented grad transfer because all grad transfers, by definition, are quitters?

Elmore has been an outstanding representative of the U of M, and as far as any of us know he's been a quality, hard working teammate. The program he committed to is gone. By rule, he has an opportunity to go somewhere else. I wish he would stay for his senior season, but his leaving doesn't make him a bad person.

It would be interesting to hear candid options from some of the fellow seniors on the team. I would imagine some are PO'd at him for bailing on them and the team. It's not like he is chasing playing time.

I couldn't disagree more.

We don't want to lose grad transfers, but we would love to have them. Would we refuse a talented grad transfer because all grad transfers, by definition, are quitters?

Elmore has been an outstanding representative of the U of M, and as far as any of us know he's been a quality, hard working teammate. The program he committed to is gone. By rule, he has an opportunity to go somewhere else. I wish he would stay for his senior season, but his leaving doesn't make him a bad person.

Leaving doesn't make him a bad person, but he's quitting on his teammates and the university that gave him an opportunity. I don't think we should deify him. Or even commend him.

Leaving doesn't make him a bad person, but he's quitting on his teammates and the university that gave him an opportunity. I don't think we should deify him. Or even commend him.

Do you hold Fleck to the same standard? Quitting on the team, his recruits, city, and school? I doubt it.

It's fine to be upset about him leaving to look for a better fit because it thins depth, but he has every right to do so. We also have the right to take transfers from other schools.

Do you hold Fleck to the same standard? Quitting on the team, his recruits, city, and school? I doubt it.

It's fine to be upset about him leaving to look for a better fit because it thins depth, but he has every right to do so. We also have the right to take transfers from other schools.

No coach in the history of the world is going to stay at WMU forever when they have power 5 coaching opportunities. It's inevitable that any MAC coach will leave when they can if they are uber successful and can move up.

Elmore is a grad transfer and is free to go where he wants. I don't have to wish him luck or think he's a great person. He's leaving his teammates and the university he chose to play for to spend his last 4 months at rent-a-school.

I also think he's quitting on what was his teammates for the last few years...I also thought he was just a body out there for the most part, wasn't anything special in regards to a fb player... On the other hand was he a good teammate?? A young man younger player looked up to ?? I'd say yes...And probably wouldn't care if he left or not if we weren't so thin along the Dline..

It would be interesting to hear candid options from some of the fellow seniors on the team. I would imagine some are PO'd at him for bailing on them and the team. It's not like he is chasing playing time.

I think you'd be surprised. He has his degree and has created an opportunity for someone else on the team to find success. He is making the most out of his opportunities, and I think that is what you'd want if he was your son. Fleck had nothing but praise and glowing comments about his decision.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/23/gophers-senior-gaelin-elmore-transferring-away-from-minnesota/

http://www.kare11.com/sports/college/ncaaf/the-gift-of-family-for-gophers-gaelin-elmore/307257835

Probably would be good for you to broaden you view a little here...

Really disappointing comments. You are free to your opinions, of course even if hypocritical. People change jobs, schools, living quarters all the time for personal reasons. Coaches, players, John Galt
Galt.

The common thread is as soon as someone leaves the program they are persona non grata and the venom comes out.

I think you'd be surprised. He has his degree and has created an opportunity for someone else on the team to find success. He is making the most out of his opportunities, and I think that is what you'd want if he was your son. Fleck had nothing but praise and glowing comments about his decision.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/23/gophers-senior-gaelin-elmore-transferring-away-from-minnesota/

http://www.kare11.com/sports/college/ncaaf/the-gift-of-family-for-gophers-gaelin-elmore/307257835

Probably would be good for you to broaden you view a little here...

Of course Fleck will spin this the right way to the media. You don't think he's pissed that Elmore is leaving? Who is in our 4-man DE rotation?

You've got to be kidding about the NFL part. They are paid mercenaries with little loyalty to city, state, or team. The owners are even worse. Two reasons I've largely stopped following the day to day machinations of the NFL.

Regarding Elmore he has some really nice opportunities. Good luck to this high character and brave young man. I hope he ends up somewhere he has a chance to start.

I probably wouldn't have said anything if everyone else wasn't heaping praise on him...

Comparing this to a job change is stupid. Will he have a shorter commute or get paid more money in Morgantown?

Of course Fleck will spin this the right way to the media. You don't think he's pissed that Elmore is leaving? Who is in our 4-man DE rotation?

Wow. How narrow-minded of you. Just wow...

I probably wouldn't have said anything if everyone else wasn't heaping praise on him...

Comparing this to a job change is stupid. Will he have a shorter commute or get paid more money in Morgantown?

He'll like his boss more.

He went to a few spring practices and, for whatever reason, it wasn't working. Yes, the school gave him an opportunity. But the coaches he came to play for were fired by that school. We were all expecting a few transfers with the coaching change. This is one of them.

No coach in the history of the world is going to stay at WMU forever when they have power 5 coaching opportunities. It's inevitable that any MAC coach will leave when they can if they are uber successful and can move up.

Elmore is a grad transfer and is free to go where he wants. I don't have to wish him luck or think he's a great person. He's leaving his teammates and the university he chose to play for to spend his last 4 months at rent-a-school.
God bless America, the land of the free. Elmore graduated from UMN. He is following the rules and taking advantage of the rules. He's doing everything a red blooded free enterprise American should do. He'll be a successful entrepreneur sometime soon and I hope he is a big donor at his alma mater. I wish him all the best.

If I'm remembering correctly I think that when Elmore first committed he cited (same as the Mayes brothers) as the main draw the relationship with the coaches. I think he was one of the players expressing most disappointment on Social media with the dismissal of Coach Claeys.

Elmore switched from TE to DE and did everything asked of him to support the team under the previous coaches. Like the majority of fans here I wish him the very best of luck in the future and dint feel let down by him.

I hear what you're saying. Yet, Fleck's message didn't resonate with him. If he didn't feel like the new staff was investing in him, I understand why he would go. The "new culture" may have made him feel like Fleck wasn't committed to his senior year. I don't think that's true, but could see why he might feel that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can we be sure that he wasn't encouraged to leave ?

Minnesota could take his scholarship away. It works both ways. Most of the time the balance of power is heavily weighted in favor of the university. The rules allow him to exercise his opportunity to transfer and he chose to do so. That doesn't make him disloyal.

Whether you meant to or not (guessing not), you have also basically said that Fleck's talk on culture, row the boat, and developing elite young men is pretty much smoke and mirrors, that he really only cares about what is best for him, and not the student athletes.

Top Bottom