STrib: Gophers linebacker Carter Coughlin puts anger in his past, becomes a leader

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Coughlin credits his parents for counseling him through the transition. Bob Coughlin was a Gophers defensive lineman, and Jennie (Moe) Coughlin was a three-time first-team All-Big Ten tennis player for Minnesota.

“They’re so full of wisdom for me,” Coughlin said. “They said, ‘At this point, you can either sit and complain about it, or you can go all in.’

“I think that’s kind of how it was for a lot of guys on this team, and it happened at different times for different players. Obviously some guys decided to leave, and that’s on them, but for everybody else, everybody’s buying in.”

Since Claeys was fired, three of last year’s starters have transferred — center Tyler Moore (to Oklahoma State), guard Connor Mayes (TCU) and Gaelin Elmore (next school to be determined).

But the Gophers remain loaded at linebacker with returning starters Jonathan Celestin and Cody Poock, along with Blake Cashman, Julian Huff, Jaylen Waters, Kamal Martin and Thomas Barber.

To keep more of that talent on the field simultaneously, defensive coordinator Robb Smith has moved Coughlin to the ‘R’ position, where he rushes off the edge, along with defensive end Tai’yon Devers.

Fleck said it’s a sign of how “selfless” Coughlin is, the way he’s accepted the role.

“It’s really fun,” Coughlin said. “I got to experience it a little bit last year. But this year it’s more of a four-down type of deal, as opposed to last year when it was just third-and-long.”

Coughlin also is one of 36 players who are part of Fleck’s “Leadership Council.” Three-quarters of those players were voted in by peers, with representation from each class, freshmen on up. Fleck picked the other players based on his view of their leadership potential. The council meets with the head coach once a week.

“Coach Fleck is an unbelievable leader, and it’s shown by the fact he gets thousands of dollars to [speak],” Coughlin said. “It’s sweet because all the guys on the leadership council get to experience that leadership first hand, just for free.”

Coughlin said Fleck has taught the council numerous “life lessons.” All these returning players got a big one two months ago. They know what it’s like to get a new boss.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...anger-in-his-past-becomes-a-leader/417881343/

Go Gophers!!

I'm looking for the 1-6-4 alignment most of the time with the 2-5-4 on obvious passing downs. Seriously, I mean it!

I was thinking the same thing with the 2-5-4, where the DE's are basically frequent blitzing LB's.

1-6-4. Richardson and LBs.
Let's rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about no down linemen...

Help me out here. I seem to remember some school that had a funky defensive alignment where almost all of the defenders were in a stand-up stance before the snap, and then would shift at the last possible second to disguise who was rushing and who was dropping into coverage. I think it was a southern school, but that's all I remember.

Does that ring a bell with anyone? Or is this some wacky dream I had one night?

Help me out here. I seem to remember some school that had a funky defensive alignment where almost all of the defenders were in a stand-up stance before the snap, and then would shift at the last possible second to disguise who was rushing and who was dropping into coverage. I think it was a southern school, but that's all I remember.

Radar defense: http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/glossary-football-101/2016/02/23/itp-glossary-radar-defense/

Think Aranda does it...sconny and now LSU. Creates mismatches and keeps O guessing.

That was the Wolverines of Michigan. Anything to confuse the blockers and backs can't be all bad.

Sounds like the Vikings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom