All Things Minnesota AAU Teams

DeathClutch

Reaction score
So AAU season has already started. D1 Minnesota played at an event this weekend in Little Rock, and lost by one in the Semi-finals.

Neither Pulley or D1 Minnesota had their rosters posted yet, so I has to piece them together from what I could find on twitter, so they may be incomplete.

D1 Minnnesota
Matthew Hurt
Race Thompson
Shae Mitchell
Duoth Gach
Both Gach
Calvin Wishart
Dain Dainja

Howard Pulley
Tre Jones
Daniel Oturu
Gabe Kalscheur
Jarvis Thomas
Ryan Larson
Goodnews Kpegeol
Zeke Nanji
David Roddy
Courtney Brown Jr.

Looking forward to seeing what Oturu can do this year. He had to share time with Theo last year. This year he is going to get all the minutes he can handle.

Pulley looks strong

Looks like Hurt is the only returning player to the 17u for D1. Howard Pulley looks really good already.

PG Tre, Larson
SG Gabe, DJ
SF Goodnews, Gabe
PF Thomas, Roddy, C brown
C Oturu, Thomas, Zeke

So AAU season has already started. D1 Minnesota played at an event this weekend in Little Rock, and lost by one in the Semi-finals.

Neither Pulley or D1 Minnesota had their rosters posted yet, so I has to piece them together from what I could find on twitter, so they may be incomplete.

D1 Minnnesota
Matthew Hurt
Race Thompson
Shae Mitchell
Duoth Gach
Both Gach
Calvin Wishart
Dain Dainja

Howard Pulley
Tre Jones
Daniel Oturu
Gabe Kalscheur
Jarvis Thomas
Ryan Larson
Goodnews Kpegeol
Zeke Nanji
David Roddy
Courtney Brown Jr.

Looking forward to seeing what Oturu can do this year. He had to share time with Theo last year. This year he is going to get all the minutes he can handle.

When do these kids take the time to do individual workouts and hone the fundamental skills that will make them elite?

Looks like Hurt is the only returning player to the 17u for D1. Howard Pulley looks really good already.

PG Tre, Larson
SG Gabe, DJ
SF Goodnews, Gabe
PF Thomas, Roddy, C brown
C Oturu, Thomas, Zeke

I don't follow HS basketball that closely but with Hurt, Thompson, and Mitchell I would think D1 would be very competitive with Pulley.

When do these kids take the time to do individual workouts and hone the fundamental skills that will make them elite?

Probably everyday before or after school. Kids actually work on skills more now than ever in all honesty. I don't get why you don't think they can do both

Probably everyday before or after school. Kids actually work on skills more now than ever in all honesty. I don't get why you don't think they can do both
Sure they could, but how many teens do you know who will forego a pickup game to spend time on individual workouts?
In my experience AAU is a glorified pickup game.

Sure they could, but how many teens do you know who will forego a pickup game to spend time on individual workouts?

Regular high school games are better than AAU games, but AAU games are significantly better and more structured than All-Star games or pick up games. Players can get used to playing against elite competition during AAU, and then do individual work when they aren't at tournaments.

Regular high school games are better than AAU games, but AAU games are significantly better and more structured than All-Star games or pick up games. Players can get used to playing against elite competition during AAU, and then do individual work when they aren't at tournaments.

I disagree with regular high school games are better than AAU games. Talent level at most high schools in Minnesota are mediocre at best. Playing against elite level talent is way more beneficial than high school and will translate closer to college hoops. I hate when people say it's a glorified pickup game when I watch these kids compete in AAU just as hard if not harder than high.

More kids than you think. Amir worked out at 43 hoops every morning before school. Other top prospects are doing individual work after or before school. Most kids in this generation put in more work than previous. Kids in previous generations were more incline to play pickup or go to parks instead of work on their game. If you think these players actual skill level isn't higher than previous generations, we are watching the same basketball. You can say they don't understand the game as much but kids are more prepared skill wise than before. Also AAU is far from a glorified pickup game. I don't know what AAU games you have experienced, but the games I've attended have been competitive.

I disagree with regular high school games are better than AAU games. Talent level at most high schools in Minnesota are mediocre at best. Playing against elite level talent is way more beneficial than high school and will translate closer to college hoops. I hate when people say it's a glorified pickup game when I watch these kids compete in AAU just as hard if not harder than high.

I should have been more specific. By better I meant more structured and less likely to develop bad habits. I'm not meaning to hate on AAU by any means. I have no issues with kids playing AAU basketball and think it helps prepare them in terms of playing with/against elite talent.

I should have been more specific. By better I meant more structured and less likely to develop bad habits. I'm not meaning to hate on AAU by any means. I have no issues with kids playing AAU basketball and think it helps prepare them in terms of playing with/against elite talent.

I def can agree with you on structure. I think that is honestly the biggest negative of AAU and I can understand why there isn't much structure. Those top teams only practice twice a week and struggle to get most players to those practices. I'm not trying to attack you about AAU. I'm just tired of the lazy narrative about AAU because it's usually not true. Those games are competitive and the competition level is so much higher than high school level of comp. Plus most kids got personal trainers and are doing individual workouts all the time now so AAU is not affecting individual skill improvement

More kids than you think. Amir worked out at 43 hoops every morning before school. Other top prospects are doing individual work after or before school. Most kids in this generation put in more work than previous. Kids in previous generations were more incline to play pickup or go to parks instead of work on their game. If you think these players actual skill level isn't higher than previous generations, we are watching the same basketball. You can say they don't understand the game as much but kids are more prepared skill wise than before. Also AAU is far from a glorified pickup game. I don't know what AAU games you have experienced, but the games I've attended have been competitive.
Perhaps, but KG doesn't agree with you.

Perhaps, but KG doesn't agree with you.

Old players complaining what's ruining the game. That's surprising. Well international kids play pro ball as early as 13 or 14 years old maybe that's the answer since playing AAU games on weekends are ruining basketball and stopping kids from working on their games Monday-Friday. KG was part of the wave of players who made AAU what it is now and AAU didn't stop him from becoming KG

guards

Basketball at this level is all about guard play. If two teams have even guard play, the one with better post players usually wins. Tre is the best, now if Suggs could play on D1 maybe it gets interesting?

I don't follow HS basketball that closely but with Hurt, Thompson, and Mitchell I would think D1 would be very competitive with Pulley.

EYBL season starts tonight. Very interested to see how Oturu does. Last year he led Pulley in rebounding despite playing less mpg than Theo. The D1 Circuit site is not working correctly, but I believe he averaged about 6.5 rebounds per game. Could see him averaging close to a double-double with 2-3 blocks a game, which would be very good production against that level of competition.

per Marcus: Gophers commit Daniel Oturu and other targets start AAU league play Friday

Oturu, a Gophers recruit in the 2018 class, starts his Nike EYBL season off with Howard Pulley 8 p.m. Friday against City Rocks (N.Y.) in Hampton, Va. The Panthers play two games Saturday against California Supreme and Mac Irvin Fire (Ill.).

Gophers coach Richard Pitino and assistants Ben Johnson and Kimani Young will be watching Oturu and his Pulley teammates in Hampton to start the open recruiting period. Apple Valley guard Tre Jones and DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur, who were offered scholarships by Minnesota, were both also with Pulley last season. Orono’s Jarvis Thomas joined Pulley this year and has interest from Minnesota.

A year ago, Oturu played in the EYBL for the first time. That experience helped boost his confidence going into his junior season. The 6-foot-9, 220-pound Oturu averaged 18.6 points, 14.6 rebounds and 5.8 blocks to earn All-Metro second team honors.

“At the end of last year and playing on the circuit in the EYBL against the top players in the country just really help my game,” he said. "Knowing that if I can do these kinds of things against those players I can for sure come back to Minnesota and do it.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...rgets-start-aau-league-play-friday/420101113/

Go Gophers!!

After dropping their first game, Pulley has won 6 straight, all by at least 11 points.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

10 in a row for Pulley and a Peach Jam berth.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Really showcases the depth of MN talent right now. Jones and Oturu are elite, but there are other teams with just as good or better of a 1-2 punch. HP just has more depth, and that's without Matt Hurt and Jalen Suggs, 2 top ten players in their class...

Really showcases the depth of MN talent right now. Jones and Oturu are elite, but there are other teams with just as good or better of a 1-2 punch. HP just has more depth, and that's without Matt Hurt and Jalen Suggs, 2 top ten players in their class...

That is pretty absurd. I usually think people are over the top about preferring MN players over out of state, but man, I think the staff would be pretty happy to take just MN players for several years if they could have their pick.

Howard Pulley #1 ranked AAU team in the country. This list includes teams from the Adidas and Under Armor circuits as well as the EYBL teams.

https://www.prephoops.com/grassroots-rankings/17u-rankings/

It's actually surprising considering they only have one top 30 player, only 2 top 100 players although Kalscheur will be top 100 soon and only 4 players with P5 offers. A lot of teams have way more than that.

The Jones dominate the EYBL and their coaches know how to organize a squad around what they have.

I remember watching Tyus in the EYBL and he was surrounded by lesser talent than Tre is now but they fared very well. They put Wright from Hopkins on one wing, Broman was Lakeview Christian on the other and the two bigs in the short corners and let Tyus attack over and over and over. Very effective.

Haven't watched any EYBL this year but having a player as good as Tre (regardless of rankings) lets you do some different things. I'd bet a lot of Gabes 3s have been off drive and dish assists from Tre.

Impressive though. Nice to see MN getting some respect.

Guess what the players from Hopkins (collectively as a group, been by far the best players in State last 15 years) do everyday for 2 hours in the summer: Play Open Gym! They also invite top players from other schools to come as well as alumni.

Yes individual skills need to be addressed, but I can't think of a better way to get better and more competitive then going 100% for 2 hours in the summertime! If the pickup game is truly competitive and everybody is going at "games speed", this is much more valuable to a player then taking jump shots with a personal trainer (unless the high schooler is very mature).

I think when the older players like KG state the whole AAU scene has caused players to lack skills is misstated. I believe that the whole AAU scene (due to so many games and opportunity to get committed), at times causes players to not put winning above everything else. The irony is that some of these older/former NBA players (I remind you didn't have nearly the AAU experience as the current players do) that make these statements played in the NBA in the early 2000s, when the NBA effort level (especially in the regular season), was at times a joke...

Guess what the players from Hopkins (collectively as a group, been by far the best players in State last 15 years) do everyday for 2 hours in the summer: Play Open Gym! They also invite top players from other schools to come as well as alumni.

Yes individual skills need to be addressed, but I can't think of a better way to get better and more competitive then going 100% for 2 hours in the summertime! If the pickup game is truly competitive and everybody is going at "games speed", this is much more valuable to a player then taking jump shots with a personal trainer (unless the high schooler is very mature).

I think when the older players like KG state the whole AAU scene has caused players to lack skills is misstated. I believe that the whole AAU scene (due to so many games and opportunity to get committed), at times causes players to not put winning above everything else. The irony is that some of these older/former NBA players (I remind you didn't have nearly the AAU experience as the current players do) that make these statements played in the NBA in the early 2000s, when the NBA effort level (especially in the regular season), was at times a joke...

I'd say for players that are highly skilled but have a low basketball IQ, turn the ball over a lot or struggle rotating on defense, 5 on 5 is more beneficial to them in improving in those areas. Charles Buggs comes to mind, maybe Isaiah?

Working in the gym alone or with a trainer is more beneficial for guys that do have a high IQ and can run a team, facilitate etc. but could work more on increasing their skills. Amir Coffey comes to mind, not that he isn't somewhat skilled though.

I disagree. 2 hours of pickup ball shooting with incorrect form will only reinforce bad habits.

There is nothing wrong with a good pickup game, but it has to be a place where you take your individual practice and attempt to put your training into game situations.
Pick up games by themselves can be a detriment to individual improvement.

Have seen Pulley a ton this spring. They have by far the best collection of players that have been very well coached. Jones is at the extreme high level of knowing how to play. Most teams are playing one on one or a two man game. Pulley is playing 5 man offense and defense. Keep in mind that this is a team that plays a ton of organized ball against and with each other. Many teams are scattered across several states. The DC area could put together a loaded roster if they had one team . This does not take away what Pulley does and in fact highlights the importance in identifying the balance of elite talent and polished skills . This frames players in a way of who fits where. Everyone knows what the elite schools can select but look at what Villanova or Xavier or UVA or whichita get done all the while ever so slightly getting better talent but not at the cost of continuity and skill. This gives you a ton of really good players that play 4 years. Look at what Mason could do with other experienced players. Watch Washington out perform many of the more highly touted players. I pulled a study of guys that were ranked in the top 50 from 2010 - 2016 and you would be shocked at how well the bottom 50 did versus the top in college. NBA is different . Even there you will see guys like Brogdon who was a bottom 50 out play nearly every top 50 guy in his class. Kaminsky did it. Vilanova guys have done it for years. The Gophers have already grabbed a key Pulley player and are very well positioned with others. It is too bad they got in late on Locke but it is a loaded class of guards. I thought they were a great fit for Jallow BUT tHEY MAY FEEL GOOD ABOUT Jones

I disagree. 2 hours of pickup ball shooting with incorrect form will only reinforce bad habits.

There is nothing wrong with a good pickup game, but it has to be a place where you take your individual practice and attempt to put your training into game situations.
Pick up games by themselves can be a detriment to individual improvement.

Why you think players don't work on their game individually on top of AAU and pickup that is foolish thinking. I watch half of these kids do individual workouts with Jadee Jones and other trainers on a regular basis

Why you think players don't work on their game individually on top of AAU and pickup that is foolish thinking. I watch half of these kids do individual workouts with Jadee Jones and other trainers on a regular basis
Read my earlier posts. Clearly KG and other great players think that AAU has caused kids to come into the NBA with less fundamental knowledge of the game. Kids come into the NBA unprepared and unaware of how to play the game. They end up needing D-league training in order to figure it out. The kids who come to the NBA prepared to play are mostly Euro who have learned the game rather than just played the game.

Top Bottom