Gopherholes's Sports Huddle Recap: Coach P.J. Flexc - 4/2/17

DL65

Reaction score
On today’s P.J. Fleck segment on the Sports Huddle, Sid and Mike Max’s questions focused on this weekend’s state coaching convention, adjusting to shortages in the offensive and defensive lines, offensive line coach Ed Warinner, tackling drills during spring ball, goals this spring, and the team’s running and passing games.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/776662?referrer_id=

1) Mike Max opened the show by asking about this weekend's state high school coaching convention:

“We had 1500 coaches from Minnesota . . . . Shared incredible ideas . . . . (Coaches) enjoyed it,” Flack said. He also said it’s important that the high school coaches and the college coaches get together. Again he emphasized the importance of sharing ideas.

2) In a follow-up question, Sid wanted to know how the practice on Friday with the high school coaches on the sidelines went:

“Worked out wonderful . . . They got to see creative things on four offensive linemen . . . They enjoyed individual drills – ten different drills at each position,” Fleck replied. He didn’t elaborate on his four offensive linemen statement.

3) Sid asked coach Fleck about offensive line coach Ed Warinner and how he got him from Ohio State University where he was the Buckeyes offensive coordinator last year:

“Ed Warriner is a remarkable man . . . wealth of knowledge . . . one of the best offensive line coaches in the country (Fleck hastened to add it wasn’t just his opinion but also by a lot of coaches across the country) . . . wonderful man who has passion for the game,” Fleck quickly replied. Fleck did mention Warinner as being the offensive line coach and offensive coordinator at Ohio State University.

4) Sid asked about the shortages in the offensive and defensive lines:

P.J. Fleck responded, “Adapt . . . not much team activity . . . a lot of one-on-one (drills) . . . (and) seven on seven scrimmages (to test and challenge the secondary and offensive skill positions). As a result of the shortages, there’s been a lot if specialized drills and those on the offensive line have had all the reps, thus far.

5) Mike Max asked coach Fleck for his philosophy on tacking drills.

Fleck replied, he doesn’t believe in doing a lot of tacking in spring drills or in the fall He emphasized the importance of being in “the right position” to make the tackles and not rely on so much tackling during drills and the inherent risk or injuries – “We want to get to the game with (our) best players . . . It’s a violent game.”

6) Sid wanted to know if the team is reaching his goals that he mapped out:

Fleck said they are on their way to changing the culture, “We’re mastering the system . . . make our culture . . . It’s becoming our players culture.” By his tone, Fleck sounded very positive about spring drills and the players adapting to new coaches and a new system.

7) Sid asked about competition at quarterback and Conor Rhoda:

Fleck talked in general terms by saying, “Everybody is getting a lot of reps.” In addition to Rhoda, he mentioned two other quarterback candidates: Demry Croft and Tanner Morgan. He didn’t elaborate on how the trio are doing; however, in the next week or two the number of reps will be whittled down to 2-3 players with those players getting most of the reps.

8) Mike Max asked the final question which he opined that it must be a tremendous asset having the running backs that Minnesota has at this time:

Fleck responded saying, “If you don’t have a running game,” you have a drop back offense. “Running game always opens the passing game!” He also said a strong running game also opens up the run, pass option.

Go Gophers!!

Dr.Don and the fabulous White Mountains of Arizona send a heartfelt THANK YOU!

Bonus Coverage:
Connor Rhoda appeared on the Sports Huddle at about 11:30. Didn't take notes, but here's what I remember.

Sid asked how Rhoda decided to come back to U.
CR: I was going to leave. Previous coaching staff told me my scholarship would not be renewed after I graduated in December. I was getting ready to explore my options. This was in a dead period. Then Fleck was hired. about two days later, he called me. It was an easy sales job. This (the U of M) is where I want to be and where I want to play. I couldn't be happier now.

Sid asked how practice was going.
CR: going really well. The other day, Bronson (Dovich) got banged up, so we were down to 4 linemen and couldn't scrimmage. Hopefully, he's back on Tuesday.

Sid asked how the offense was different.
CR: actually, there are a lot of similarities. Both offenses want to do the same things and get people into the same positions, but the techniques are different. Verbiage is all new, so there's a learning curve.

Sid asked if Rhoda will scramble more in the new offense.......(yeah, I laughed too.)
CR: that depends on how the play goes. In this offense, it's more passing - a true 50/50 split. So, if you're dropping back more, there may be more opportunities to scramble, based on what happens during the play.

Max asked about using 7-on-7 drills in practice:
CR: it's good for some things, like working on timing and getting the pass routes down. I'm not a big fan of it because I don't think it's realistic. In a game situation, you've got an offensive line in front of you and defensive linemen rushing. In a game, you might only have one or two attempts where you just drop back and throw without having to move up or sideways in the pocket, so I don't think (7-on-7) really gets you ready for game situations.

Those are the main points that I remember.

Thanks DL & Son for this nice combo report.

Thanks Guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report. Interesting in the difference in perspective between COnner Rhonda and Coach Fleck concerning 7 on 7. Having been there, I enjoyed Coach Flecks comments. Not sure the 6 second rule is reasonable - unless the off. Line coach is doing miracles. By the way - anyone know what we are paying him? Probably not enough to keep him for more than one year(maybe he likes to hunt and fish). When you read his resume, you really have appreciate Coach Fleck "recruiting" him to the U.

Fleck did mention that "Seth" is in the qb battle

Top Bottom