Video: Gopher Talk 101 with P.J. Fleck: "F.A.M.I.L.Y."

NY Times (August 31st, 2008) article on Schiano and Rutgers:

Besides practicing together, they have played whiffle ball together, went to a paintball facility together and took a Navy Seals leadership conference together. They wear black bracelets with the letters “F.A.M.I.L.Y.” on them. Schiano wears one, too.

Well you have to admit, family is clearly a better acronym than HYPRR.

PS. His use of the term "orphan" is inappropriate and out of date.
I think you meant:
PC. His use of the term "orphan" is inappropriate and out of date. [emoji41]

Like a said, it really is a great acronym and sentiment, but every coach in the country promotes selflessness and teamwork. Ever heard of there is no I in team, etc?

Maybe Fleck has a unique ability to get the players to study harder, tune in, perform better on game days than the next coach. That's a big deal. But, I think many top tier coaches have that ability. The proof will be in the pudding. My hopes lie more with getting more talented players than in the past.

WMU, despite their impressive record was not a statistical S&P powerhouse like those Boise State, TCU, Utah teams in the recent past. Those were top 10 teams with impressive defenses, prolific offenses, etc and showed some sustained success. Patterson, Meyer, Peterson were able to motivate their teams. WMU's 13-1 season seems to come down to turnover margin and having some impressive upperclassmen playing catch. I'm NOT saying it was a mediocre season and I agree PJ did well there but his 8-5 seasons were more reminiscent of the Bill Cubit era. I'd say the jury is still out for me as far as whether he could have sustained that success. Were they Iowa 2015 or a budding MAC dynasty that would start fielding top 10 teams? His recruiting chops say yes but it's speculation. Can he do that in the Big Ten?

No "I" in team, but there is a "me".

If Fleck can win games all of this is moot, however if he can't make it happen on the field all of these videos become juicy fodder for ridicule.

WMU fans thought that after his first year there too, but eventually he made them all look foolish.

Example:

In 2013 (going into his first season), Fleck did a video on gameday traditions they wanted to institute. Here's a sampling of comments on the video:

As a WMU grad, I'm embarrassed ... Fleck put his "traditions" and "catch phrases" ahead of putting Ws on the scoreboard. The football stadium looks like a circus. And that SINGLE WIN was a close game...against a team that is on the same level as most high schools. And what the hell does a boat have to do with the Broncos? Horses don't ride in boats! And a foghorn? C'mon...we have nothing to do with boats or nautical themes. Maybe the coach should focus on winning games and learning about the WMU culture before he tries to bring in actions that make no sense and portray Western as a clown college.
----
This stupid "row the boat" thing needs to stop!!!!!!!! It's annoying and embarrassing! Isn't it bad enough that our football program sucks? Please, stop it! None of this is even close to amazing!
---
As an alumni I couldn't be more embarrassed. This guy is out of his mind what a horrible season
---
Did he confer with anyone outside of the football program for these "traditions"? And is he basing the "Row the Boat" crap off of the rap song in the background? A freaking DJ? These are just a few of the questions I have regarding this travesty. We had game-time traditions at WMU when I was there, and the games were fun. Please focus on football first, and the circus act later. Thank you
---
I think he overlooked winning, & was too focused on being responsible for these legendary traditions
---
Know what would help the game day experience even more? WIN A GAME.
---
More than a month later, we're 0-4. Got embarrassed by the Big Ten teams and lost to a FCS school who only had 1 win last season has been blown out in its other two games. "Row the Bow"? How about putting a football program together that's about winning and being competitive and not stroking a young coach's ego and doing stupid gimmicks to sell merchandise. If this is the kind of results we can expect against MAC teams, soon people will ask coach Fleck to row his sorry butt out of Kalamazoo.

Didn't WMU fumble 3 times and recover all of them. That almost never happens. I think Becky dropped at least one int. as well. I think the skunks had the ball up 8 and marching down the field with ease when the game ended.
You always seem to know a lot about Wisconsin.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Top Bottom