Video: Gopher Talk 101 with P.J. Fleck: "F.A.M.I.L.Y."

Oh boy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you guys are beautiful. you're so uncomfortable listening to this kind of talk.

you guys are beautiful. you're so uncomfortable listening to this kind of talk.

npa5yMn.gif

There is an obvious SNL skit in his definitions and acronyms. We define ..... as ..... etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apparently PJF defines sacrifice as giving something up. Glad he made a video to explain that.

Well you have to admit, family is clearly a better acronym than HYPRR.

PS. His use of the term "orphan" is inappropriate and out of date.

FAMILY predates Fleck's head coaching career. He didn't invent it but it's a nice saying and I like it. However, I don't think it will add any wins to the column. I'd challenge anyone to explain to me why this is better than coach x, y, or z's method. His attempts to engineer team chemistry may or may not work. Pretty sure every coach, organization tries to build team chemistry. I suspect his success lies more with recruiting better players and that phenomenal turnover ratio than FAMILY or HOW.

I do think it's weird that he keeps talking about building connections with people, fans, etc but has banned fans from most practices unlike the prior regimes. Just me? I guess the videos do keep him in the limelight somewhat but I'd rather hear more reports about which QB is catching on, WRs etc from fans. Seems like a missed opportunity to get more media exposure as well.

for some reason (maybe because it's 12:30 in the morning), the line that jumped out at me was the reference to "a typical mom and dad."

I think I understand what he's saying - a two-parent household - but in my interaction with parents of athletes, they run the gamut. There are parents who are supportive - parents who don't give a bleep - parents who sit in the stands and scream at the refs non-stop - parents who tell their kids to ignore the coach - and so on. I would be hard pressed to come up with a typical mom and dad.

Having said that, AGAIN, I assume that is not what Fleck meant. (and we didn't even get into families with two gay dads, or two lesbian moms, or any other permutation).

FAMILY predates Fleck's head coaching career. He didn't invent it but it's a nice saying and I like it. However, I don't think it will add any wins to the column. I'd challenge anyone to explain to me why this is better than coach x, y, or z's method. His attempts to engineer team chemistry may or may not work. Pretty sure every coach, organization tries to build team chemistry. I suspect his success lies more with recruiting better players and that phenomenal turnover ratio than FAMILY or HOW.

I do think it's weird that he keeps talking about building connections with people, fans, etc but has banned fans from most practices unlike the prior regimes. Just me? I guess the videos do keep him in the limelight somewhat but I'd rather hear more reports about which QB is catching on, WRs etc from fans. Seems like a missed opportunity to get more media exposure as well.
I like his videos and updates on the program. I feel more connected to the program than I did under Kill/Claeys. He talks to the media after each Spring practice. So in a way, he is building connections with people.

He seems to lay out his long term vision and all the short term goals to get there. He continually follows up with fans on those goals and how they are being met. I like that kind communication between head coach and fans.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Glenn Caruso implemented the same FAMILY philosophy over at St. Thomas went he took over that football program in 2008. All he's done is win 5 conference titles, get UST to the D-3 national title game and go 99-15 so far in his career. St. Thomas football was a dumpster fire when he started. All that matters is that the players buy in and the rest will take care of itself. Obviously different coaches and different programs, but the models are similar. When I heard Fleck at his first news conference, Caruso was the first guy I thought of. When you buy into the team concept and playing for the guy next to you, it does a lot more than win football games. It builds trust among teammates and the program.

Fleck has been here about 3 months, and things have already changed. He's everywhere on social media and promoting his program, and that appeals to college kids who are constantly on their phones. Add in the investment of the athletic facilities, and who knows where this program can go. I look forward to seeing how it translates this fall.

Glenn Caruso implemented the same FAMILY philosophy over at St. Thomas went he took over that football program in 2008. All he's done is win 5 conference titles, get UST to the D-3 national title game and go 99-15 so far in his career. St. Thomas football was a dumpster fire when he started. All that matters is that the players buy in and the rest will take care of itself. Obviously different coaches and different programs, but the models are similar. When I heard Fleck at his first news conference, Caruso was the first guy I thought of. When you buy into the team concept and playing for the guy next to you, it does a lot more than win football games. It builds trust among teammates and the program.

Fleck has been here about 3 months, and things have already changed. He's everywhere on social media and promoting his program, and that appeals to college kids who are constantly on their phones. Add in the investment of the athletic facilities, and who knows where this program can go. I look forward to seeing how it translates this fall.

Like a said, it really is a great acronym and sentiment, but every coach in the country promotes selflessness and teamwork. Ever heard of there is no I in team, etc?

Maybe Fleck has a unique ability to get the players to study harder, tune in, perform better on game days than the next coach. That's a big deal. But, I think many top tier coaches have that ability. The proof will be in the pudding. My hopes lie more with getting more talented players than in the past.

WMU, despite their impressive record was not a statistical S&P powerhouse like those Boise State, TCU, Utah teams in the recent past. Those were top 10 teams with impressive defenses, prolific offenses, etc and showed some sustained success. Patterson, Meyer, Peterson were able to motivate their teams. WMU's 13-1 season seems to come down to turnover margin and having some impressive upperclassmen playing catch. I'm NOT saying it was a mediocre season and I agree PJ did well there but his 8-5 seasons were more reminiscent of the Bill Cubit era. I'd say the jury is still out for me as far as whether he could have sustained that success. Were they Iowa 2015 or a budding MAC dynasty that would start fielding top 10 teams? His recruiting chops say yes but it's speculation. Can he do that in the Big Ten?

He gave Wisconsin all they could handle. Take away about 3-4 plays and one questionable penalty and they would've beat Wisconsin. Plus, there could've been 3-4 holding calls on Wisconsin that officials ignored. Just me, but I think we will roll into Iowa City at 7-0
Ski-U -Mah....Row the Boat!

He gave Wisconsin all they could handle. Take away about 3-4 plays and one questionable penalty and they would've beat Wisconsin. Plus, there could've been 3-4 holding calls on Wisconsin that officials ignored. Just me, but I think we will roll into Iowa City at 7-0

I know you know this but that's true of every game. It's a game of inches and seconds. Every play is important. Bottom line is they had 280 yards of offense and only 17 points and a rough first half and a late push that fell short. It was the inverse of our game vs Wisconsin. Yes, it wasn't Iowa v Stanford!

Hater

Didn't WMU fumble 3 times and recover all of them. That almost never happens. I think Becky dropped at least one int. as well. I think the skunks had the ball up 8 and marching down the field with ease when the game ended.

If Fleck can win games all of this is moot, however if he can't make it happen on the field all of these videos become juicy fodder for ridicule.

If Fleck can win games all of this is moot, however if he can't make it happen on the field all of these videos become juicy fodder for ridicule.

WMU fans thought that after his first year there too, but eventually he made them all look foolish.

WMU fans thought that after his first year there too, but eventually he made them all look foolish.
Living in a city named Kalamazoo already puts you in the foolish category. [emoji41]

Top Bottom