Fleck on Demry Croft: "He’s taken a big step forward"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

On the wide receivers...

Fleck: "We are developing every day. … TJ [Tyler Johnson] is doing a tremendous job. No. 6. He is starting to separate himself a little bit with his work ethic. We call it and his ‘how.’ His disciple to learn every position and learn every route. ... And even [Rashad] Still, he’s got to continue to get better, and he’s got to mature more as he continues to go and how to be able to fight through the adversity, how to be able to work at an elite level. I think that coach [Matt] Simon is doing a tremendous job of working with that group."

On positive surprises so far in camp:

Fleck: "Demry Croft had a really nice day today. I was really proud of him. He’s taken a big step forward, and he and Conor [Rhoda] are learning the offense. Every day there’s completely new plays that are coming in, but I thought they did a nice job today.

"I really like [wide receiver] Eric Carter’s work ethic. I thought he came out today and did a tremendous job.

"When I sit there and look at the running backs, I thought Rodney [Smith] had a nice day. Rodney ran the ball hard. ... I think he’s getting more comfortable with our inside zone and how we block it, with our blocking schemes. I thought he did a nice job with his vision today in terms of being very patient and poised, and letting the whole play develop. That’s when he shines. You can see a bunch of runs he had, where if he hits it with his head down, he’s not going to have a chance. But he’s so patient in between there and he really runs well with the football."

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...r-johnson-demry-croft-rodney-smith/417479023/

Go Gophers!!

I'm rooting for Still to get better. Not sure what is really holding him back from being a solid football player for the Gophers.

I'm rooting for Still to get better. Not sure what is really holding him back from being a solid football player for the Gophers.

He already is a solid football player and is our leading returning receiver. Could be phenomenal though.

We don't hear about Brooks, McCrary, and the other running backs. Has anybody been to the practices and observed the running backs?

I'm really worried. Season starts in only 5 months. I hope Fleck comes through with more day-to-day info.

Man I hope so but for years we've gotten praise from the coaches for the WRs on this team and really just a few folks emerge.

He already is a solid football player and is our leading returning receiver. Could be phenomenal though.

I'm reading the comments in the main post and it sounds like he has issues. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong.

We don't hear about Brooks, McCrary, and the other running backs. Has anybody been to the practices and observed the running backs?

Same situation as before they split reps with each other.

I'll say it another million times if I have to, Croft is my guy.

He has all the physical tools to be a phenomenal player for us. Big body, good hands..He showed flashes last year,I just never understood what was holding him back.

He has all the physical tools to be a phenomenal player for us. Big body, good hands..He showed flashes last year,I just never understood what was holding him back.

There is little doubt the receivers will get more action and success in the new offense. The only question is will a star emerge? Looks like Still and Johnson have the coach's eye early. you just never know what might happen at WR. I think we have more talent than commonly acknowledged waiting in the wings.

We have to remember that David Cobb emerged in his last two seasons. That is when truly became a "Howpher" in Fleckism.

We've got some real good players on the team like Coughlin who are selfless individuals who understand their role on the team. We've got players somewhere in between. It may be you have to light a switch in some of these kids, and hope that the timing is right before they graduate.

Every person on the Gophers team is valuable whether as a practice player, back up or starter. That is where the leadership council comes in to pick up the rest of the team. If each player get better each practice, everybody wins. They don't have to be a super star. They just need to understand their role and do it really well.

From practice observations and reading about him over the past two seasons, I would say that maturity and day to day work ethic are the things that are holding him back. He's a great talent and could be a dominant receiver in the BIG with a little improvement. Now that he is going into his junior year and with the coaching change, hopefully those areas will improve and he can reach his full potential.

With respect to your question and to Rashad (who is already a solid player and has massive potential), I think catching the ball was holding him back a bit. Am I crazy or did he drop 3-4 big down-field plays last year? That's probably another 200 yards receiving and 2-3 TDs.

With respect to your question and to Rashad (who is already a solid player and has massive potential), I think catching the ball was holding him back a bit. Am I crazy or did he drop 3-4 big down-field plays last year? That's probably another 200 yards receiving and 2-3 TDs.

I always thought RS88's ability to high-point the ball was poor. Surprising considering his standout Basketball career in HS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is interesting how the hustle and hard work comes through regardless of who the coaching staff is. People wondered if Gentry and Holland were just in the old staff's dog house. Then you see the same guys praised as hard workers as the ones we heard praised in the past.

Both Gentry & Holland are RS JRs. If it doesn't happen for them this coming season, they may end up graduating next year and grad transfer elsewhere.

I always thought RS88's ability to high-point the ball was poor. Surprising considering his standout Basketball career in HS.

Still did not go up and make a play on a ball once last year. They would just toss it up for him and he wouldn't necessarily "drop" it. He just couldn't make a play.

From practice observations and reading about him over the past two seasons, I would say that maturity and day to day work ethic are the things that are holding him back. He's a great talent and could be a dominant receiver in the BIG with a little improvement. Now that he is going into his junior year and with the coaching change, hopefully those areas will improve and he can reach his full potential.

This is exactly what can be said for Demry too for those wondering what's held him back.

per Joe:

On the wide receivers...

Fleck: "We are developing every day. … TJ [Tyler Johnson] is doing a tremendous job. No. 6. He is starting to separate himself a little bit with his work ethic. We call it and his ‘how.’ His disciple to learn every position and learn every route. ... And even [Rashad] Still, he’s got to continue to get better, and he’s got to mature more as he continues to go and how to be able to fight through the adversity, how to be able to work at an elite level. I think that coach [Matt] Simon is doing a tremendous job of working with that group."

On positive surprises so far in camp:

Fleck: "Demry Croft had a really nice day today. I was really proud of him. He’s taken a big step forward, and he and Conor [Rhoda] are learning the offense. Every day there’s completely new plays that are coming in, but I thought they did a nice job today.

"I really like [wide receiver] Eric Carter’s work ethic. I thought he came out today and did a tremendous job.

"When I sit there and look at the running backs, I thought Rodney [Smith] had a nice day. Rodney ran the ball hard. ... I think he’s getting more comfortable with our inside zone and how we block it, with our blocking schemes. I thought he did a nice job with his vision today in terms of being very patient and poised, and letting the whole play develop. That’s when he shines. You can see a bunch of runs he had, where if he hits it with his head down, he’s not going to have a chance. But he’s so patient in between there and he really runs well with the football."

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...r-johnson-demry-croft-rodney-smith/417479023/

Go Gophers!!

So at minimum a partial zone scheme, eh? Interesting. I'd been wondering what type of blocking schemes we're going to run.

Both Gentry & Holland are RS JRs. If it doesn't happen for them this coming season, they may end up graduating next year and grad transfer elsewhere.

Hard to transfer anywhere without a body of work to show your potential value to another team

I couldn't pin point the problem(s). I just know that is freshman year he didn't seem to have the strength to fight through contact. His route running appeared to be better last year. One thing that I think may have been a problem with all of the receivers is the QB thought they were gonna zig when they zagged.

Remember a certain player in the Mason era was like that as well(no not Ron Johnson- he was great and a very steady WR). I think Still is better than that guy and I won't be surprised to see great things from him.

Top Bottom