Goldy over the ages

Rog

Reaction score
I have a wall hanging of pictures of Goldy over the ages, Thought you may like to see this.
By the way this is my 1st attempt to put a figure on a post so hope to ends up OK.
You may have to enlarge to see it better.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 234

My own first pic ended up "sideways" despite being the correct aspect... Tips from veteran posters?

By the way - My daughter who lives in Florida gave me this for Christmas - where she found it for purchase, I have no clue.

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they have it for sale at the bookstore as well. Now I kind of want one.

Awesome. I need one like that for my bar.

#coacheslivesmatter

The 1951 Goldy looks like one of the Chipmunks. And my buddies always referred to the 1960 version as the "wimpy" Gopher. We thought it was amusing when they tried to make Goldy look "tougher." One of my buddies said he must have been going to Barry Bonds' trainer.

I wonder if you can buy gear with that first version of Goldy on it. It would be perfect for a little kids t-shirt.

Makes me think of when Sally's Rev'd her look by having her wear a less revealing shirt. That cartoon Gopher was a hussy.

Change the culture!
Bring Angry Goldy back!
Scare little kids & stuff!!!
1985-goldy.gif

6b34b8651e381db32f0a1902e1d6a9de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I received one for Christmas. I believe I saw the Women's Softball team with the 1960' era Goldy on their helmets.

Change the culture!
Bring Angry Goldy back!
Scare little kids & stuff!!!
1985-goldy.gif

"In response to public criticism, Athletics asks Wanvig to make Goldy look less fierce."

We shouldn't be surprised we have had a middling at best program when the public was so upset by this logo it had to be toned down. This logo shows the attitude the program should have..."Let's go kick some A**!"

"In response to public criticism, Athletics asks Wanvig to make Goldy look less fierce."

We shouldn't be surprised we have had a middling at best program when the public was so upset by this logo it had to be toned down. This logo shows the attitude the program should have..."Let's go kick some A**!"

Just to tie in the context a little more, there was another sexual assault scandal at the time and the Athletic Dept changed the Goldy to soften their public image after that event.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/01...player-Mitchell-Lee-wascharged/9643475995600/

Unfortunately for the OP, that banner is almost completely wrong. See the link in post #6. Other sources agree with that chronology.

1979 is lame, looked like some middle school kid drew it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1960 Goldy is just...mangy-looking.

Just to tie in the context a little more, there was another sexual assault scandal at the time and the Athletic Dept changed the Goldy to soften their public image after that event.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/01...rtini glass shaved into the side of his head.

I attended the U during this period (freshman fall of 1984). The statement that the public pressured the change is disingenuous. From what I remember most of the pressure came from some U faculty, and the loudest from women's studies department. They claimed the aggressive looking Gopher helped perpetuate a culture of aggression and violence in men's athletics.

One indication that Mitch Lee could be trouble was before a game Mitch showed with a martini glass shaved into the side of his head.
Just to be clear, never said there was public pressure, just that the mascot drawing was changed to soften their image.

I had a T shirt of the 60s-70s sports-specific Goldy. Mine was the basketball one. I wore that shirt til it had holes in it! Loved that logo.

I wish we had enough fans that we'd get some bootleg action on athletic wear that would use the old logos.

This thread reminded me of this old Gopher Flag I found at my Grandpa's house years ago. Two Goldies forming an "M". Pretty awesome if you ask me!

9fad4e010ad310befc69355da3f5927c.jpg
de4796a33c90d7d53ee1f2a537af8000.jpg

This thread reminded me of this old Gopher Flag I found at my Grandpa's house years ago. Two Goldies forming an "M". Pretty awesome if you ask me!

9fad4e010ad310befc69355da3f5927c.jpg
de4796a33c90d7d53ee1f2a537af8000.jpg

That is beyond awesome.

Top Bottom