Jerry Kill: "This year should be the best that Minnesota has had."

Many of us have issues with the AD and not Fleck...

Jerry's comments make more sense in light of the AD than anything Coach Fleck has offered.

Still say there's probably no good way for an AD to bring in his own coach but the AD's presser when Coach Claeys was relieved still bites.

Fleck is now Coach and I'm excited.

Dislike Coyle for now. Period. That will probably diminish as Coach Fleck succeeds...as I'm confident he will.

Stupid. His schtick is kind of over the top, and not everyone is going to embrace it. If he doesn't win, he will lose guys come October and November who tire of his game show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some guys just want to see the world burn, some guys just want a coach that understands the origin of the phrase "chip on my shoulder".

Jerry Kill: "This year should be the best that Minnesota has had."

Stupid. His schtick is kind of over the top, and not everyone is going to embrace it. If he doesn't win, he will lose guys come October and November who tire of his game show.

Just like the guys he lost at WMU after that first season. Went 1-11 guys grew tied of Fleck's game show and yet 3 seasons later somehow he took a 13-0 team into the Cotton Bowl. Probably didn't need those guys he lost back in October and November his first season at WMU anyway.

It's true that Kill (and his former staff) has far more of a beef with Coyle than Fleck but unfortunately Fleck has been "on message" with Coyle since Coyle's disastrous press conference. Thus, in Kill's mind (and a lot of other people's minds) when Fleck talks about changing the culture that harkens back to Coyle's character assassination of Claeys and his staff.

He has gotten better about clarifying what he's talking about (perhaps after the parking lot incident) so there's that. I'd appreciate it if they'd cool it a bit on the "culture" aspect as I'm not sure what that means vs any other good coaching staff's culture. Words matter and insinuations will be made and accepted and consequences will be felt. Nobody is totally innocent here. Is it possible some of you wouldn't take offense at implicit shots at your employees, players, teaching, values, and culture? Kill could take the "high road" and ignore everything but this was his passion for many years and not many people will turn the other cheek so easily. Easy to talk about it though, until it happens to you.

One word: miralax.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7I65ZQW1aDA?start=254" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just like the guys he lost at WMU after that first season. Went 1-11 guys grew tied of Fleck's game show and yet 3 seasons later somehow he took a 13-0 team into the Cotton Bowl. Probably didn't need those guys he lost back in October and November his first season at WMU anyway.

I hope he wins here like that. It will be more difficult in the Big Ten, and if they are struggling, all the chirping while mic'd up, RTB, FAMILY, will get old.

Any way you slice it our OL isn't looking good this season. 10 OL who aren't true Freshmen, half of whom miss Spring practice while implementing a new system, with a new coaching staff. It doesn't scream "Rose Bowl".

Which of the ten aren't any good? Ryan Just the transfer from RCTC? We can't find 6-8 guys that can play out of that group? Looks like a pretty good group to me. You disagree?

We started 6 foot 2 260 pound Matt Leidner in the Holiday bowl and he did ok. We have a "cake walk" early slate. If we need to insert Andries or Schmitz later due to injuries then so be it.

Can we talk about how asinine the assertion is that this year should be the best year Minnesota has had?

Can we talk about how asinine the assertion is that this year should be the best year Minnesota has had?

In fairness, Jerry Kill doesn't count QBs, WRs, or offensive linemen when evaluating a team. Those positions tend to just to sort themselves out and don't require much attention or recruiting effort.

This is gold country. Maybe Jerry is turning into a grizzled, 1890s prospector and he believes Fleck is a claim jumper.

Not sure why that is hard to understand. They have different personalities. People sometimes prefer one over the other.

I've also heard rumors that Kill was hard to work with behind the scenes. Not sure if true though. Honestly it really doesn't matter anymore. I'm thankful for what he did and am excited about the future.

He kinda set Fleck up in a way. If the team doesn't have an outstanding year, then Fleck looks bad because they should be very good according to him.
That move seems to precipitate from Fleck's constant efforts to state how bad things are and how many holes there are in the roster. One person says the sky is falling and the other person says the mountain has risen. Which person is more accurate in their statement?

That move seems to precipitate from Fleck's constant efforts to state how bad things are and how many holes there are in the roster. One person says the sky is falling and the other person says the mountain has risen. Which person is more accurate in their statement?

When has Fleck ever said the sky is falling? There are holes on this roster and there is no argument to that.

I'm sure you'd just back down and not say anything if someone (a person that you retained, mentored and helped along the way, nonetheless) talked smack about you in public and stated that you left behind a poor culture.

Still waiting for you to show us these quotes of Fleck talking smack about Kill. Or Fleck claiming Kill left behind a poor culture. Below is a quote from Fleck at the press conference.

"I am not here to change tradition, what I am here to do is change a culture, to change a movement, for us to create and experience things that University of Minnesota football has only dreamed of, and hasn't accomplished since the late 1960s."

It couldn't be more obvious that when Fleck speaks of culture he is talking about a new culture of raised expectations. A culture of winning and championships. He is taking over a program who hasn't won a Big Ten title since 1967. To accomplish that again he clearly needs to change the entire mindset of everyone involved with the program. Players, coaches, students, fans, administration, media,etc. That is practically the definition of changing the culture of the program.

Fleck has consistently praised Kill and the previous staff publicly, not the other way around like you and others claim. Again, he took over a program that hasn't won on a national stage since the 60's. If a change of culture isn't needed to fix that then what is??

So again, please show us quotes of Fleck talking smack of Kill publicly.

Jerry Kill: &quot;This year should be the best that Minnesota has had.&quot;

When Fleck talks about changing the culture he's talking about his way of doing things. FAMILY and HYPRR, the pace of practice, the early meetings, the special vocabulary, sitting in front of classes, etc. It's not for everyone so until everyone is on board there's gonna be a process of change. Maybe Jerry, and many on this board, don't get that and think Fleck is going after the old staff in poor taste. I do think Jerry has a right to be upset at some of the things Coyle has stated to the media. But then go after Coyle and leave Fleck out of it. Go after Kaler. Hell, go after Norwood for being an ass and getting fired. This staff is still here if Norwood was AD. As stated, I have neither seen nor heard Fleck ever talk about this being a rebuild. Fleck is way down on the list of people to whom Jerry should be directing his anger.

When Fleck talks about changing the culture he's talking about his way of doing things. FAMILY and HYPRR, the pace of practice, the early meetings, the special vocabulary, sitting in front of classes, etc. It's not for everyone so until everyone is on board there's gonna be a process of change. Maybe Jerry, and many on this board, don't get that and think Fleck is going after the old staff in poor taste. I do think Jerry has a right to be upset at some of the things Coyle has stated to the media. But then go after Coyle and leave Fleck out of it. Go after Kaler. Hell, go after Norwood for being an ass and getting fired. This staff is still here if with Norwood was AD. As stated, I have neither seen nor heard Fleck ever talk about this being a rebuild. Fleck is way down on the list of people to whom Jerry should be directing his anger.

Well stated. Fleck has never used the term re-build. It's a strawman argument by Kill.

Kill is absolutely correct in saying that Fleck walked in to a gold mine, and Fleck knows it. Yes, there is always room to improve most any situation but Kill and Claeys took this program from a laughing stock to respect and always completive on the field. In golf terms, Minnesota was a 30 handicap and Kill/Claeys got the Gophers down to a respectable 9 handicap in six years. Now it is up to Fleck to get the Gophers down to a low single digit player, that on any given day can look like one of the best teams in the country.

Anybody that knows golf knows that you can go from a 30 to a 9 handicap with a lot of hard work and maybe not a lot of talent. It's going from a 9 to a scratch that is very difficult and much harder. Hope we get the talent and that PJ can coach them up!

He was asked to give an interview. He is free to say what he wills.
Fleck is free to use the acronym FAMILY despite the obvious hypocrisy in his own personal life, which should make people cringe.

Carry on oh Fleckite.

About 50% of marriages end in divorce and the number goes up when there is a loss of a child. IMO it's not fair game to throw stones at him about that.

Kill basically saying if Fleck doesn't win 10 games he is a failure.

Kill despises the U for firing Claeys and is passive aggressively taking it out on Fleck with this comment.

Anybody that knows golf knows that you can go from a 30 to a 9 handicap with a lot of hard work and maybe not a lot of talent. It's going from a 9 to a scratch that is very difficult and much harder. Hope we get the talent and that PJ can coach them up!

It's light years more difficult to go from a 4 to a 1 than it is to go from a 30 to a 12. Probably not a great analogy.

I don't have a problem with the direction Fleck has taken at all. His job is not to pay homage to the previous staff. I'm a huge JK fan but his true colors might be showing a little here. These aren't the first interviews he's ever done. He's fully aware of having to choose your words carefully and this probably wasn't his finest moment in front of the mic.

Time to move forward for all parties.

Kill basically saying if Fleck doesn't win 10 games he is a failure.

Kill despises the U for firing Claeys and is passive aggressively taking it out on Fleck with this comment.

Yup, and doing it in a dishonest way ascribing words to Fleck that he never said.

I don't care who they embrace they can live in the glory days of not beating Wisconsin and winning two bowl games if they please! Row the Boat!

Fleck needs to win and win big. Big is better than 9 wins.

My wife, who should know, after working with the UMD athletic department says Fleck is the best thing to hit Minnesota since the invention of the pop-up toaster.She thought even under Kill there was no energy. Same old, same old people showing up at the games. Kill did nothing to "sell" the program. She likes the " State of the Program " and the oar promotion that Fleck did.

Many of us have issues with the AD and not Fleck...

Jerry's comments make more sense in light of the AD than anything Coach Fleck has offered.

Still say there's probably no good way for an AD to bring in his own coach but the AD's presser when Coach Claeys was relieved still bites.

Fleck is now Coach and I'm excited.

Dislike Coyle for now. Period. That will probably diminish as Coach Fleck succeeds...as I'm confident he will.

Very well stated. I'm on board with all of this ^^^

Yup, and doing it in a dishonest way ascribing words to Fleck that he never said.

Let's be honest, PJF aligned himself with everything Coyle said when he arrived. His "culture change" concept has migrated since he first arrived - most likely due to how it was received. There is a reason PJF now tries to explain what he means by "culture change" almost every time he brings it up. In the recent "state of the program" video he described it as meaning "bring us all together". That is so different than where it started. You would have to be blind not to see that.

Top Bottom