Jerry Kill: "This year should be the best that Minnesota has had."

Jerry Kill "Fleck is walking into a goldmine"

Agree?

Q: Do you have any thoughts on Minnesota?

A: People were saying they have to rebuild Minnesota. Shoot. That thing is built and ready to go. This year should be the best that Minnesota has had. I support (P.J.) Fleck on what he is doing. You have to do what you have to do. It is his program now. But I am not crazy about him saying they have to rebuild the program. We went in there and said a lot of the same things when I took over, but that’s not the case now. That new A.D. (Mark Coyle) has no idea what we inherited. (Former A.D.) Joel Maturi does. Call him. We inherited a mess. (Fleck) has walked into a gold mine. - See more at: http://btn.com/2017/03/31/big-ten-qa-rutgers-offensive-coordinator-jerry-kill/#sthash.q9hv5PvX.dpuf

I'm sure Brewster felt the same way.

I don't think it's necessarily a gold mine but honestly its a much better situation than most coaches walk into. Most people don't take over a team that won 9 (i mean 9*) games the previous season. And the program itself compared to what Kill walked into is much more complete.

The program is definitely in better shape then when Jerry took over. But he might want to go back and look at who's contributed and who's left out of his 2014 recruiting class before claiming this should be the best team yet.

Don't have the time to research this, but, I wonder if any D1 coach has ever come into a new job and said "hey, this is a great situation. This program is ready to win right now." From what I read and hear, virtually every coach who takes over a program comes in and emphasizes the challenges and shortcomings - not the strengths - of the program they inherited. That way, if they have a good season, it makes them look better. And if the team struggles, they have a pre-established excuse/explanation.

And, in all fairness, when a new coach comes in with new offensive and defensive schemes and systems, it's understandable that some of the holdover players may not be a perfect fit for the new system, which complicates matters.

The program is definitely in better shape then when Jerry took over. But he might want to go back and look at who's contributed and who's left out of his 2014 recruiting class before claiming this should be the best team yet.

I agree it's in much better shape than when Kill got here. That was a mess. But the fact that the classes are so out of what at some of the positions is frustrating when Coach Kill and Coach Claeys had been here for so long and should have been more cognizant of where this team would be this year. I understand some folks left (one way or the other) and there's no predicting that, but without those departures it was sketchy at a few positions, while others were very rich.

The one that is especially puzzling to me is OL because Kill specifically said he wanted to get 5 OL every year, but they really didn't do that more than a year or two I don't believe.

Don't have the time to research this, but, I wonder if any D1 coach has ever come into a new job and said "hey, this is a great situation. This program is ready to win right now." From what I read and hear, virtually every coach who takes over a program comes in and emphasizes the challenges and shortcomings - not the strengths - of the program they inherited. That way, if they have a good season, it makes them look better. And if the team struggles, they have a pre-established excuse/explanation.

And, in all fairness, when a new coach comes in with new offensive and defensive schemes and systems, it's understandable that some of the holdover players may not be a perfect fit for the new system, which complicates matters.

Well whomever replaces Saban when he retires better say that.

I think you are spot on. As for player fit into the new schemes, Fleck contrasted what he walked into at WMU to Gophs that way...needed a few years at WMU to recruit the right types of players for the scheme...said he pretty much has the right types of players here now on the roster.

I'd have to guess Urban Meyer when he took over tOSU, Muschamp when he replaced Meyer at Florida, Dennis Erickson when he replaced Jimmy Johnson at Miami, Dave Doeren when he replaced Jerry Kill...

Those were all very different circumstances of course...

This year should be the best that Minnesota has had. I support (P.J.) Fleck on what he is doing. You have to do what you have to do. It is his program now. But I am not crazy about him saying they have to rebuild the program.

About Jerry's comments....

Program is in much better shape than when Kill came in: Undoubtedly True
Fleck has walked into a goldmine: Probably True, but it's not like Riley walking into NE or others folks have listed (often when coach heads to NFL from helmet school)
Should be the best team yet: Undoubtedly False. COULD be the best team yet, especially if Kill was still here and other things fall our way, but "should"]is way off. Both the 2015 [edit: meant 2014] and 2016 teams were better positioned for success prior to the start of the season (2015 [edit: 2014] team mostly in hindsight; will admit I loved watching that team).

Edit: Yeah, had 2015 Citrus Bowl on the brain. Enjoyed that game (in Orlando) even with the loss. Maxx the beast.

Jerry- The program took a big hit and fans left in 2015 when you quit on a 6-7 season. You're commenting on a program you left 18 months ago and had a huge sexual scandal rip through it.

Fleck talks about culture and I don't think has used the term rebuild. At the end of the day Fleck knows he is walking into a really good situation for him or he would not have taken the job.

IMO the program is better hands today.

Program is in much better shape than when Kill came in: Undoubtedly True
Fleck has walked into a goldmine: Probably True, but it's not like Riley walking into NE or others folks have listed (often when coach heads to NFL from helmet school)
Should be the best team yet: Undoubtedly False. COULD be the best team yet, especially if Kill was still here and other things fall our way, but "should" is way off. Both the 2015 and 2016 teams were better positioned for success prior to the start of the season (2015 team mostly in hindsight; will admit I loved watching that team).

The 2015 team that went 6-7?

It's a goldmine compared to what Kill walked into....

Kill is absolutely correct in saying that Fleck walked in to a gold mine, and Fleck knows it. Yes, there is always room to improve most any situation but Kill and Claeys took this program from a laughing stock to respect and always completive on the field. In golf terms, Minnesota was a 30 handicap and Kill/Claeys got the Gophers down to a respectable 9 handicap in six years. Now it is up to Fleck to get the Gophers down to a low single digit player, that on any given day can look like one of the best teams in the country.

Would agree that PJF is taking over a team that is in much better shape compared to what JK started with.
This is not a rebuilding situation at all.
Don't agree that this is the best that MN has had as there are some areas of concern.
Those areas would be
lack depth on the OL due to injuries, retirements, transfers.
Lack of production from the WR group - due to talent and or coaching

Since all programs lose players to graduation, the QB inexperience heading into this season is a different type of concern, along with our lack of depth on the DL for 2018 as we would have been in the same situation regardless of who the coach happened to be.
Still believe that PJF will improve the offense production this season with the talent returning and the defense will be as good as it has been in the previous few seasons. Record may not be exactly the same, but should be close.

Larry Coker, and Dennis Erickson at Miami probably thought there situations were pretty good

Kill is absolutely correct in saying that Fleck walked in to a gold mine, and Fleck knows it. Yes, there is always room to improve most any situation but Kill and Claeys took this program from a laughing stock to respect and always completive on the field. In golf terms, Minnesota was a 30 handicap and Kill/Claeys got the Gophers down to a respectable 9 handicap in six years. Now it is up to Fleck to get the Gophers down to a low single digit player, that on any given day can look like one of the best teams in the country.
This^^^^^^^

Loved Jerry Kill, liked Coach Claeys, high hopes for Coach Fleck.

Taking over a 9-4 B1G bowl winning team that should not have had a job posting after last season? Since Fleck was coming from the MAC.... I'd call it a gold mine.

I've got no problem with Kills comments whatsoever.

So sick of the Rutgers offensive coordinator. Worry about your own mess.

Jerry- The program took a big hit and fans left in 2015 when you quit on a 6-7 season. You're commenting on a program you left 18 months ago and had a huge sexual scandal rip through it.

Fleck talks about culture and I don't think has used the term rebuild. At the end of the day Fleck knows he is walking into a really good situation for him or he would not have taken the job.

IMO the program is better hands today.

Epilepsy is not quitting

Taking over a 9-4 B1G bowl winning team that should not have had a job posting after last season? Since Fleck was coming from the MAC.... I'd call it a gold mine.

I do, worry about your own program not hard.

No reason for you to be bitter about Kill calling your boy crushes on the carpet for their ill and totally needless comments even if "misinterpreted". For as strong a speaker as Fleck is he hasn't learned quite when to shut up yet.

Name a team that doesn't have depth or experience concerns at at least one or two spots. It just doesn't happen. 14-18 scholarship linemen is the norm, not 25. There is zero reason this team can't win. QB-friendly system, great talent on defense, up and comers in the WR corps, elite running backs.

No reason for you to be bitter about Kill calling your boy crushes on the carpet for their ill and totally needless comments even if "misinterpreted". For as strong a speaker as Fleck is he hasn't learned quite when to shut up yet.

Name a team that doesn't have depth or experience concerns at at least one or two spots. It just doesn't happen. 14-18 scholarship linemen is the norm, not 25. There is zero reason this team can't win. QB-friendly system, great talent on defense, up and comers in the WR corps, elite running backs.
Name a coach that doesn't try to manage expectations? I'll wait

He should shut up about Minnesota and worry about the dumpster fire that is Rutgers.

No problem with the comments as Kill is certainly entitled to his opinion whether I agree with them or not. I just wonder if he would be saying the same thing if Claeys were still here?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I'd guess when Coyle and Fleck shuts their yappers about culture and a bare cupboard Kill will.

He sounds like a bitter ex-girlfriend. He left the program on his own he wasn't fired. Constantly talking about Fleck and Minnesota even going as far as to confront Fleck at Hopkins HS. Grow up

Top Bottom