Jerry Kill: "This year should be the best that Minnesota has had."

Some of you are really whistling past the graveyard, including Goblirsch who just went on a ill-advised twitter rant. There is something called guilt by association and the message has been culture, culture, culture and the insinuation of that is poor culture by default. Fleck has said the obvious, that nine win seasons are not a culture problem, but he implied other things that were shaded by what Coyle explicitly said. They walk hand in hand. This all began with Coyle's infamous "living in truth, high character" slop job back in January. Fleck has started to explain himself and distance himself from Coyle but it's not really hard to see why Kill is upset. I mean, is it?

I'm excited for Fleck to start coaching and continue to distance himself from Coyle's derogatory press conference. Let's move on and win some games.

Some of you are really whistling past the graveyard, including Goblirsch who just went on a ill-advised twitter rant. There is something called guilt by association and the message has been culture, culture, culture and the insinuation of that is poor culture by default. Fleck has said the obvious, that nine win seasons are not a culture problem, but he implied other things that were shaded by what Coyle explicitly said. They walk hand in hand. This all began with Coyle's infamous "living in truth, high character" slop job back in January. Fleck has started to explain himself and distance himself from Coyle but it's not really hard to see why Kill is upset. I mean, is it?

I'm excited for Fleck to start coaching and continue to distance himself from Coyle's derogatory press conference. Let's move on and win some games.

Spot On.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much and yes, it leads more to Coyle than Claeys. According to today's Strib, Fleck, despite what many people on here fervently believe, has only mentioned "rebuild" twice since January. He only mentioned it once at his initial press conference. though "culture" did come up a few times.

"Q: Last year, this team won nine games. Is this a reclamation project?

A: I think I have to do a lot more investigation what we have, what we have coming in, what we have that that's moving on, but I look at it as a cultural change. This is not a complete rebuild of a tradition and culture. This is cultural change though. Like I said, for the first year of digging, that's what that is. It's digging to find out how much we have to dig, what culture -- what types of culture we have to change, what doesn't need to be changed, how we can work through the different branches of how we've got to be able to get things done. But I do know this, the staff that was here before deserve those nine wins. They did a tremendous job on the field, and we want to continue that type of success as we move forward.

About 50% of marriages end in divorce and the number goes up when there is a loss of a child. IMO it's not fair game to throw stones at him about that.

It's fair game when he preaches "Forget about me...", yet his career is more important than his family relationship. He's hypocritical by making a statement that he personally doesn't live out.

Live it first and I will take your words to heart. Speak it, but don't live it and I have no respect for your words.

Let's be honest, PJF aligned himself with everything Coyle said when he arrived. His "culture change" concept has migrated since he first arrived - most likely due to how it was received. There is a reason PJF now tries to explain what he means by "culture change" almost every time he brings it up. In the recent "state of the program" video he described it as meaning "bring us all together". That is so different than where it started. You would have to be blind not to see that.

Not blind to Coyle's intent, but don't think it's fair to pin on PJF. "Culture change" has been his mantra forever. I think it's Coyle that aught to be spanked for self-servingly using that term to mean something different from what PJF has used it to mean (while knowing PJF can't really say "whoa, that's not what I'm saying". Some might want PJF to openly disagree with Coyle instead of just complementing the hell out of Kill and Claey's, but I think that is a bridge too far and not the best way to move forward.

It's fair game when he preaches "Forget about me...", yet his career is more important than his family relationship. He's hypocritical by making a statement that he personally doesn't live out.

Live it first and I will take your words to heart. Speak it, but don't live it and I have no respect for your words.

I hope you're consistent in your own life. If anyone in your circle gets divorced - family, friend, neighbor, co-worker - and they mention words like loving or caring or loyalty, I hope you also tell them in a fit of high-brow rage that you have no respect for their words. Otherwise you're being hypocritical.

In other news, for teams like Minnesota that often see a steeper drop-off between starter and backup talent, it seems like so much of a season's success if dependent on the good luck or bad luck of injuries. If the Gophers stay healthy, this schedule is whispering nine wins to me.

Kill has quite literally never mentioned the term culture or that he had issue with it. You should really stop speaking for a 60 year old coach who quit.

Kill has quite literally never mentioned the term culture or that he had issue with it. You should really stop speaking for a 60 year old coach who quit.

Are you unable to comprehend any subject that requires the slightest bit of nuance or just choosing to because of your man crush?

I look back at the roster Kill inherited & it isn't great, but I wouldn't call it a "dumpster fire". This is from memory so I expect to be off on a few, but here goes...

WR AJ Barker (Jr)
TE Eric Lair (Sr)
LT Ed Olson (So)
LG Zach Epping (So)
C Tommy Olson (Fr)
RG Chris Bunders (Sr)
RG Ryan Wynn (Sr)
RT Ryan Orton (Sr)
TE John Rabe (Jr)
WR Brandon Green (Jr)
WR Derek Engel (Jr)
WR DaJon McKnight (Sr)
QB Marqueis Gray (Jr)
RB Duane Bennett (Sr)
FB Mike Henry (Sr)

DE Anthony Jacobs (Sr)
DT Shede Hageman (So)
DT Brandon Kirksey (Sr)
DE DL Wilhite (Jr)
LB Keenan Cooper (Jr)
MLB Mike Rallis (Jr)
LB Aaron Hill (So)
CB Mike Carter (Jr)
CB Troy Stoudermire (Sr)
S Kim Royston (Sr)
S Brock Vereen (So)

But you're judging how these players turned out, I'm sure there are some current underclassmen who will emerge under Fleck.

As far as these guys:
AJ Barker was a walk-on who hadnt done a thing. It would be the equivalent of us saying that Fleck inherited Morse.
Rabe - Kill recruit
Aaron Hill - - Another walk-on. It would be like saying that Fleck inherited Blake Weber
Engel - Believe he is a Kill guy. His first year at the U was 2011 (same as Kill's)
Henry - Again - a walk-on who hadn't contributed much before Kill arrived
Bennett - Really? I like Bennett as a former Gopher, but if he is your returning starting RB, that cupboard feels pretty bare
Hageman - kudos to Brew for landing this guy, but he was in a world of trouble before Kill arrived
Carter - see Hageman
Vereen - When Kill arrived, Vereen was the butt of jokes for his play at CB. He turned into a really nice player, but the day Kill was hired, I don't think a lot of Gopher fans would have pointed towards Vereen.

I think if we did this same exercise in 5 years and compared the people Claeys/Kill left with the people Brew left it would illustrate, even more, how bare the cupboard was when Kill arrived.

I hope you're consistent in your own life. If anyone in your circle gets divorced - family, friend, neighbor, co-worker - and they mention words like loving or caring or loyalty, I hope you also tell them in a fit of high-brow rage that you have no respect for their words. Otherwise you're being hypocritical.

In other news, for teams like Minnesota that often see a steeper drop-off between starter and backup talent, it seems like so much of a season's success if dependent on the good luck or bad luck of injuries. If the Gophers stay healthy, this schedule is whispering nine wins to me.
If my friends admit that they failed and show remorse for their actions then I forgive them. If they walk around with no remorse for their actions and continue to say one thing while doing the other, I will call them out and expect them to stop being a hypocrite. I would expect the same response from my friends when I say one thing but act differently. It would be the loving thing to do.

Are you unable to comprehend any subject that requires the slightest bit of nuance or just choosing to because of your man crush?

He said he's not bitter and I take such upstanding men at their word and you should too! Sorry your man crush got fired and will never get another p5 job because 4 players got expelled under his supervision. :cool:

Which of the ten aren't any good? Ryan Just the transfer from RCTC? We can't find 6-8 guys that can play out of that group? Looks like a pretty good group to me. You disagree?

We started 6 foot 2 260 pound Matt Leidner in the Holiday bowl and he did ok. We have a "cake walk" early slate. If we need to insert Andries or Schmitz later due to injuries then so be it.

Bump.

Is anyone willing to state which of our guys aren't any good? Pretty much everyone on the roster has received accolades here and elsewhere in the past. So, which are just "camp bodies"? There has to be someone brave enough to state their opinion.

Regarding the D-line yeah we're going to get into underclassmen next year. However, Fleck decided he wanted to blow up the blueprint laid by guys like Aranda and Sawvel, Wilcox. Wilcox didn't blow up the defensive scheme when he went to Wisconsin, he recognized Aranda built a top 10 defense out of middling players. Same with Claeys and Sawvel in the sense they overachieved with bottom ranked classes and we were trending towards those 2 and 3 down linemen fronts. Bielema decided to go that direction and parted ways with Robb. So, part of the "crisis" is of his own making and that's his right.

New coach implements his own system we should criticize him for it! Not like he's playing 3/4 linebackers every play or anything. The Gophers had the best defense in the history of football and no one should ever try to mess with it. Smith had better peak defenses at Rutgers and Arkansas than Claeys or Sawvel ever had here.

Didn't buy Jerry Kill's aw shucks act when he was at Minnesota. The guy has as big of an ego as any other coach around.

Ding ding winner. And THIN skinned. You broke up with the gal, and now she's dating that guy who winks and makes that finger gun when he makes a point. Be happy you both are happy apart.

But you're judging how these players turned out, I'm sure there are some current underclassmen who will emerge under Fleck.

As far as these guys:
AJ Barker was a walk-on who hadnt done a thing. It would be the equivalent of us saying that Fleck inherited Morse.
Rabe - Kill recruit
Aaron Hill - - Another walk-on. It would be like saying that Fleck inherited Blake Weber
Engel - Believe he is a Kill guy. His first year at the U was 2011 (same as Kill's)
Henry - Again - a walk-on who hadn't contributed much before Kill arrived
Bennett - Really? I like Bennett as a former Gopher, but if he is your returning starting RB, that cupboard feels pretty bare
Hageman - kudos to Brew for landing this guy, but he was in a world of trouble before Kill arrived
Carter - see Hageman
Vereen - When Kill arrived, Vereen was the butt of jokes for his play at CB. He turned into a really nice player, but the day Kill was hired, I don't think a lot of Gopher fans would have pointed towards Vereen.

I think if we did this same exercise in 5 years and compared the people Claeys/Kill left with the people Brew left it would illustrate, even more, how bare the cupboard was when Kill arrived.

Of course he is judging how they turned out. Cupboard is bare means your roster sucks, the walk ons suck, the underclassmen suck. If you have a bunch of guys you can mold into solid players then that goes against the whole cupboard was bare argument. Just cause you don't walk into 22 returning polished starters doesn't mean you inherited a disaster. And if Morse and Weber turn out like Hill and Barker then yeah, you can say wow Fleck inherited some talented walk ons. You still have to go out and find your walk ons and get them to come to your school, they aren't just scratch off lotto tickets.

Of course he is judging how they turned out. Cupboard is bare means your roster sucks, the walk ons suck, the underclassmen suck. If you have a bunch of guys you can mold into solid players then that goes against the whole cupboard was bare argument. Just cause you don't walk into 22 returning polished starters doesn't mean you inherited a disaster. And if Morse and Weber turn out like Hill and Barker then yeah, you can say wow Fleck inherited some talented walk ons. You still have to go out and find your walk ons and get them to come to your school, they aren't just scratch off lotto tickets.

+1

Still seems like you are judging him about something that is extremely difficult for a marriage to go thru, something that no parent or parents want to experience, IMO.

If we find out he is fooling around on current Mrs. Fleck and is divorced in a few years, then he and his character maybe fair game.

He said he's not bitter and I take such upstanding men at their word and you should too! Sorry your man crush got fired and will never get another p5 job because 4 players got expelled under his supervision. :cool:

The limit must be 2 or 3 then cuz your crush had 2 expelled under his supervision at WMU. Even the police agreed they did something illegal so maybe those should count more? If Fleck has 2 more players expelled here can I assume you will be calling for his head?

I lived through the death of my brother and despite attempts at marriage counseling my parents still divorced. There is about a 90% divorce rate after losing a child. You think "not this family" but 90% is hard to defeat. Anyone who comments and judges Flecks situation without that consideration is not really worth listening to.

Still seems like you are judging him about something that is extremely difficult for a marriage to go thru, something that no parent or parents want to experience, IMO.

If we find out he is fooling around on current Mrs. Fleck and is divorced in a few years, then he and his character maybe fair game.

He married current Ms Fleck less than a year after his divorce. His former wife is left to raise the children and recreate her career.
As for the sorrow of losing children, I know how hard that is and understand how much work a marriage takes when loved ones die. Fleck is not alone in dealing with such grief. But, I can say that a person works through it with your spouse and you counsel your way along the path, together. The easy way is to leave and it is the opposite of family..."Forget about me, I love you." Until Fleck can live it in his own life, he should stop saying it as a platitude. It makes him a hypocrite.

Top Bottom