Geno Auriemma: WBB's Cranky Professor

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...a-coaches-womens-college-basketball/99843378/

Fewer women are coaching women’s basketball now than a decade ago, and the coaches who have led their teams the Final Four of the NCAA tournament in Dallas have very different theories as to why.

According to the NCAA’s race and gender database, 56% of Division I women’s teams were coached by a woman in 2015-2016, the most recent season data was available. That’s down from 63% in 2007-2008.

“There’s a reason why there’s not as many opportunities for women. Not as many women want to coach,” Connecticut’s Geno Auriemma said Thursday. “It’s quite simple.”

Auriemma went on to deliver what perhaps he thought was a feminist diatribe, about how many more career opportunities are available to women outside of coaching than when he became Huskies coach in 1985. He said he thinks more women are choosing to have a “normal life” rather than moving into a job teaching physical education and coaching after college.

The two female coaches here in Dallas had other ideas — and it’s not for a lack of interest.

“Women aren’t recycled the way that men are,” Stanford’s Tara VanDerveer said...

...When Melanie Balcomb was fired last year after 14 seasons at Vanderbilt, another head coaching job didn’t quickly materialize. After three months out of work, she accepted as job as an offensive analytics consultant on Dawn Staley’s staff at South Carolina.

“We wanted to keep great basketball minds in our game,” Staley said. “The guys do it all the time. There’s not a great coach on the men’s side that is jobless without wanting to be in that position.”

Still, Staley, who had a Hall of Fame career as a player, isn’t necessarily concerned about the diminishing number of female coaches in Division I. She sees the increasing number of male coaches as one sign of progress for the women’s game.

Iggy....Off your topic, but I remember several years back Pat Summit hired former Gopher ass't coach Al Brown who was Clem's "X and O guy. I remember Pat saying in an interview during a run in the NCAA. what a big addition he was to the staff. I'm dating myself here Iggy, but I think Al was still with Pat during the Pam Borton era. I'll have to Google and see where Al is, or if he is retired.

Iggy....Off your topic, but I remember several years back Pat Summit hired former Gopher ass't coach Al Brown who was Clem's "X and O guy. I remember Pat saying in an interview during a run in the NCAA. what a big addition he was to the staff. I'm dating myself here Iggy, but I think Al was still with Pat during the Pam Borton era. I'll have to Google and see where Al is, or if he is retired.

Brown, noted for his loud sweaters, is at Duke with Joanne McCallie. He joined McCallie's staff when she was at Michigan State and made the move to the Blue Devils when McCallie took the job in Durham.

Over the past few years, I've done a 180 on Geno. I went from not liking him to liking him. I like the fact that he'll play anyone anywhere in order to test his team. He's always gracious in his descriptions of other coaches and other teams. And he's an interesting interview...not afraid to say what he thinks. What he's been able to do with this year's team is remarkable. He lost the top 3 selections in the WNBA draft, he played a very tough non-conference schedule, and his team still hasn't lost a game. As of now, it's hard to envision when his team will lose again. They could win 150 or 200 straight games. Yes, I know he can be hard on his players sometimes, but I don't hear any past players complaining about that. I admit I miss the days when Pat Summit's Tennessee team was as good or even better than UConn. That rivalry seemed to add a lot to women's college basketball.

Brown, noted for his loud sweaters, is at Duke with Joanne McCallie. He joined McCallie's staff when she was at Michigan State and made the move to the Blue Devils when McCallie took the job in Durham.

Thanks Iggy. Wonder if he has ever been approached for a women's HC job?

Thanks Iggy. Wonder if he has ever been approached for a women's HC job?

I am still in the Geno is annoying category. No doubt you need a healthy ego to be successful @ the D1 level but his is over the top. Plenty of behind the scenes stories of other women's coaches who dislike him and not just because he wins so often. The lack of competition at the top level of women's basketball is clearly not his fault but it detracts from the game when UConn is rolling over so many teams. I hope one of the teams it the Final Four actually compete with them.

Looks like you got your wish, GringaGopher. MSU more than competed with Geno's Huskies. Great game to watch. I'm laughing at what I said earlier today in this thread...."it's hard to envision when this team will lose again." I guess we found out. That's why I love sports...can never know what's going to happen.

Top Bottom