Coney Durr ready for August camp?

From Pioneer Press:

No Gophers sitting out spring practices with injuries should be limited at the start of fall training camp in August.

“I expect all of them to be back,” Fleck said. “Some of them could be back toward the end of spring, but I’m going to probably hold them out just because I don’t want their first experience to be the last two practices of spring ball. It’s not worth it to me.”

That recovery timeline includes cornerback Coney Durr, who tore an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during the 17-12 win over Washington State in the Holiday Bowl.

“Trust me, they get back from ACL’s faster than back in your day and my day,” Fleck said. “They come back a lot faster, so he’s right on track to be here by about training camp.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/30/gophers-receive-commitment-from-ohio-offensive-lineman/

I would be really surprised if Durr is able to play this year. Everyone made a huge deal about Adrian Peterson recovering in only 8 months. Peterson had his surgery December 30th. Durr didn't have his surgery until January 20th and would have to make a full recovery in about 7 months in order to be ready for game 1.

Would be awesome for him and the team. His injury was kinda lost in all the hullabaloo at the end of the season, but he showed up huge in San Diego. Fingers crossed.

The real question becomes - what do you do if Durr is going to be ready by week 5 or 6? Do you burn a year of eligibility to play in half the season?

I suppose that depends on what the player wants to do, and how the team is doing. If the Gophers are having a good year, Durr might want to be involved. On the other hand, if the season isn't going so well, he might be better off sitting the year out and coming back at 100% in 2018.

IMHO - it will be in his best interest to take a year off to heal completely.

At practice on Tuesday it looked like he was told he couldn't move faster than walking but was still walking very quickly. Not sure if that means anything but I wasn't expecting him to be walking that quickly. He's not able to run but he sure didn't look like he was in pain or afraid of re-injuring it.

The ACL is stressed with twisting motions not with simple back and forth walking, etc. Some non-athletic people with torn ACLs even elect to not do surgery and avoid activities that stress the joint. Playing DB is all about twisting, cutting, changing direction. If he comes back too soon there is a higher risk of re-injury. I posted a link in the spring camp thread about expert opinions: minimum of 8-9 months up to 12+. Truthfully nobody knows for sure but 7 months is really pushing it and I hope they don't hound hard for him to come back before mid-season at the very earliest. Don't we have a talented freshman coming in?

The real question becomes - what do you do if Durr is going to be ready by week 5 or 6? Do you burn a year of eligibility to play in half the season?

I suppose that depends on what the player wants to do, and how the team is doing. If the Gophers are having a good year, Durr might want to be involved. On the other hand, if the season isn't going so well, he might be better off sitting the year out and coming back at 100% in 2018.

Agreed - I find it a little ridiculous and arbitrary, though, that a player can play the first 5 games and get hurt and petition for another year but not be hurt for the first 7 games, play the final 5 and not do the same petition.

[/B]

Agreed - I find it a little ridiculous and arbitrary, though, that a player can play the first 5 games and get hurt and petition for another year but not be hurt for the first 7 games, play the final 5 and not do the same petition.
Can you really play in that many games and get granted another year? I thought it had to be a lot less.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

The player must have suffered an injury during their senior year of high school, or during one of their four eligible seasons for college competition. (This does not provide for players who are already redshirting a season and are injured in practice.)
The injury suffered must be "incapacitating", meaning it must be a season-ending injury.
The injury must occur during the first half of the season.
The player must have competed in no more than 30% of the season or four games, whichever is greater.

I would be really surprised if Durr is able to play this year. Everyone made a huge deal about Adrian Peterson recovering in only 8 months. Peterson had his surgery December 30th. Durr didn't have his surgery until January 20th and would have to make a full recovery in about 7 months in order to be ready for game 1.

that was almost 5 years ago. i would bet that these college football players are getting top-end treatment.

Can you really play in that many games and get granted another year? I thought it had to be a lot less.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

I guess the answer is 4 games. The numbers in my example weren't really the point, though so I pulled "5" out of my butt. I just find it arbitrary that a player can play part of a season and petition for another year, but that "part of the season" cannot be at the end of the year.

Top Bottom